"I ran 938 miles in March" DoppleBock (Read 1336 times)

kcam

So true. I've had this discussion with my son as this being one of the biggest benefits to being a runner. It's something you can do your entire life.  You don't need a court, a field, a group of other people, etc.  The irony here is that I see so many other guys my age that played all the other sports growing up, and insist they hated running, but it's running they turn to later in life when they realize the need to do something physical. 

This is me.  I was a baseball player through and through.  In HS I didn't even know we had a XC team or track and field, just wasn't on my radar at all.  In my early 20's I played softball and soccer and always told my older colleagues who ran that "I needed to be hitting or kicking a ball or scoring runs when I ran or it was just too boring".   Now look at me, haven't played any organized team sport in several years and running has become by far my favorite thing to do, discuss and watch.

This is me.  

Same here... I didn't start running until my Jr year in HS, but the only reason I started due to the convincing of a friend to get in shape for wrestling. I loved wrestling, but it's another one of those sports that for most ends in HS. 

L Train

Not only can you run your whole life, but you can compete in organized events with tens or hundreds or thousands or tens of thousands of other like-minded individuals.  There's on-line results, athlinks tracking, message boards like this, age grading, age group awards and beer tents.  To anyone who used to be involved in any kind of competitive sport, running/racing provides that venue.  It's hard to imagine getting the same juices flowing from your participation in your local tennis league or softball league.  Except for maybe the beer part.

kcam

All true.  Another thing is that you run in the same race as the best in the world (or at least you did before they started having separate elite start times).  I realized this once at a Bay to Breakers race.  I was in the Seeded corral and was up front of the start line warming up with the likes of Deena Kastor and the Kenyans and Ethiopians.  How cool is that?  Can I take the field with the New York Yankees?  Not unless my name is Morganna ... and I don't mind getting arrested.  Running is awesome.

All true.  Another thing is that you run in the same race as the best in the world.  

Yes. 

I did an Ironman with world class athletes.  In fact, Chrissy Wellington (top female Ironman triathlete) put the medal around my neck at the finish line and said "Brian, you did a great job!"  Although I don't remember much of that, it was quite cool and unique.  Another competitor had to tell me that she was the one putting medals around our neck and talked to me.

Also, I was able to have the winner of the female Ironman pass me when she was at mile 25 of the race and the crowd was going crazy as they're lined up along the edge of the streets cheering her on (FWIW, I was only on mile 7).

It's a great sport for middle aged guys like me. 

I'm glad I found this sport.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Wing

Joggaholic

It depends on your motivation.  Back in the day when I was pretending to be a runner, for me it meant getting up at 4am instead of 6am.  It was that easy.

To a new runner like me 2 hours every day is just jaw dropping! I agree that it is possible to find 2 hours a day if one have the motivation and forgoes other less important activities, but it takes a certain level of fitness in order to run that much and recover everyday, and that's the part that doesn't sound easy to me...

northernman

Fight The Future

I like to think we are not wasting time, but creating time. 

I don't quite agree with the comment from John Walker's "The Hacker's Diet" that is is not likely that someone could spend a full hour every day doing exercises, but I like his point about extending lifespan with exercise:

"So, if you're 40 years old, and you exercise 15 minutes a day from now until you turn 65, you'll have spent a total of about a quarter of a year exercising in those 25 years.

But, if by exercising you manage to live 3 years longer, you're ahead by a total of two and three quarters years by age 65--1000 days. Your increased life span works out to an additional 172 minutes per day from age 40 through 65. Even after spending 15 minutes exercising, the life extension you can expect from getting into shape gives you what amounts to two and half more hours per day to do whatever you enjoy most! Even if you live only one additional year through physical fitness, you'll still end up with 270 more days by exercising.

Of course, we're talking percentages here; you could be run over by a truck tomorrow. But hey, if you're in shape you may dodge that truck!"

DoppleBock

When I started 9 years ago July 1st - I was 300+ pounds and started by run - walking a 4 mile route until I could run the whole thing - Took @ 1 month.  THen I added 1-8 mile run, 2-6 mile runs and a few 5 mile runs along with the 4 mile run (6 days a week) - Each month I added a little more.  I remember being completely destroyed the 1st time I ran 12 miles, 14 miles, 16 mile and 20 miles.

The 1st partial year (6 months) I ran consistently 6 days a week and would walk 4 miles 5 days a week.

My 1st ful year - I ran the below mileage off 1 run per day

<colgroup> <col width="76" /> <col width="87" /> <col width="64" /> <col width="64" /> <col width="359" /> <col width="42" /></colgroup>
                  Month Miles Days Miles/Day    
                  Jan-04 264.0 31 8.52    
                  Feb-04 273.0 29 9.41    
                  Mar-04 313.0 31 10.10 25K 1:52:07  
                  Apr-04 382.1 30 12.74 5 mileTT 30:36  
                  May-04 313.1 31 10.10 Eagle River 5-08 Time 3:09:48 (Great Conditions - did not push)
                  Jun-04 308.5 30 10.28 Grandmas 6-17 Time 3:03:31 (10 MPH headwind - pushed it)  
                  Jul-04 373.2 31 12.04 Pittsville 5 mile - ran bad race (32:31) / 7/31 Giants 10 K 40:06
                  Aug-04 431.1 31 13.91 8/7 - 1/2 marathon 85:57 / tater trot 10k 38:22  
                  Sep-04 315.0 30 10.50 No races  
                  Oct-04 310.0 31 10.00 Twin Cities (10-3) 2:56:09  / Big Woods 10K Sick(43:09)- Sick for 7 days reduce goal to 310
                  Nov-04 303.0 30 10.10    
                  Dec-04 272.0 31 8.77    

Total 2004 3,858.0 366 10.54    

To a new runner like me 2 hours every day is just jaw dropping! I agree that it is possible to find 2 hours a day if one have the motivation and forgoes other less important activities, but it takes a certain level of fitness in order to run that much and recover everyday, and that's the part that doesn't sound easy to me...

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Wing

Joggaholic

That looks insane to me :O

Did you follow some kind of program the first year? Or did you "just run"?

DoppleBock

I did the Hal Higdon Advanced marathoning for the May marathon - after that I just ran.

In 2005 I started to run twice a day a few times a week.

In 2006 I ran twice a day 4-5 times a week

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Turbolegs

I like to think we are not wasting time, but creating time. 

I don't quite agree with the comment from John Walker's "The Hacker's Diet" that is is not likely that someone could spend a full hour every day doing exercises, but I like his point about extending lifespan with exercise:

"So, if you're 40 years old, and you exercise 15 minutes a day from now until you turn 65, you'll have spent a total of about a quarter of a year exercising in those 25 years.

But, if by exercising you manage to live 3 years longer, you're ahead by a total of two and three quarters years by age 65--1000 days. Your increased life span works out to an additional 172 minutes per day from age 40 through 65. Even after spending 15 minutes exercising, the life extension you can expect from getting into shape gives you what amounts to two and half more hours per day to do whatever you enjoy most! Even if you live only one additional year through physical fitness, you'll still end up with 270 more days by exercising.

Of course, we're talking percentages here; you could be run over by a truck tomorrow. But hey, if you're in shape you may dodge that truck!"

This is quite an interesting analysis .ever so slightly flawed as an analogy .. but definitely drives the point home about exercising on the road being better than meditating on the couch.

And i liked .. "Of course, we're talking percentages here; you could be run over by a truck tomorrow. But hey, if you're in shape you may dodge that truck!"

I dont sweat. I ooze liquid awesome.

Julia1971

When I started 9 years ago July 1st - I was 300+ pounds and started by run - walking a 4 mile route until I could run the whole thing - Took @ 1 month. 

I cropped it, but that post was truly inspiring.  And, congrats on your weight loss.

Doc, my tooth hurts

Not only can you run your whole life, but you can compete in organized events with tens or hundreds or thousands or tens of thousands of other like-minded individuals.  There's on-line results, athlinks tracking, message boards like this, age grading, age group awards and beer tents.  To anyone who used to be involved in any kind of competitive sport, running/racing provides that venue.  It's hard to imagine getting the same juices flowing from your participation in your local tennis league or softball league.  Except for maybe the beer part.

You can get the same competitive juices flowing, but the problem is you will become "the overly competitive guy".