8 hour surgery (Read 193 times)

Hey all - I am going to have a long surgery to remove a tumour in my neck in a couple of weeks. I've never had an 8 hour surgery, and my last surgeries were years ago and I was in 'couch potato' shape. I came through a 4-hour abdominal surgery okay, but will I feel any different now that I'm more fit? Anyone had experience in this?

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

an amazing likeness

No, not an serious surgery like that. But I do know, without a doubt, all the hours you've invested in building your health and fitness will help you recover faster than someone with less fitness.

I wish you a most successful surgery, and a quick and uneventful recovery.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Good luck

Half Fanatic #846

Good luck on your surgery, I hope it all goes well!

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

I had a tongue resection for cancer mid Sptember of 2011 a week later a neck dissection. Both surgeries were in the 6 to 8 hour range. By mid October I was running taking it easy. 

Thanks! The doc said I'd be back running 30 days post discharge. Yay!

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

I had a tongue resection for cancer mid Sptember of 2011 a week later a neck dissection. Both surgeries were in the 6 to 8 hour range. By mid October I was running taking it easy. 

I'm now 2 weeks post surgery. Lost the collar bone and a rib. I've done some 'brisk' walks but only at 15min/mile pace and never ran. I have a TON of energy though. I think that's what the difference is for people who are fit. I was discharged 5 days after surgery and they told me it would be 8-10 days in hospital. No way.

Update: I had a 7.5 hour surgery instead and they removed a rib, collar bone, skin, tumour and moved some existing skin to close the wound. I was awake from surgery quickly, no nausea, felt strong and was up walking the halls the next day, then down to the hospital coffee shop for a better brew. Full of energy within a couple of days. I've been walking daily and lately putting in a few light jogging. Definitely this healing is due to the fitness.