Sub-90 Minutes for the Half Marathon (2011) (Read 6744 times)

The shirtless wonder

Put on a shirt for goodness sake. It's January.

Don't look up my race pics from Disney this weekend... 

ok...I promise?

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

I'm in.  First half of the year is for half marathons, with a marathon attempt lined up for November.

Half marathons: 20Feb (Wellington), 30Apr or 1May (Rotorua or Nelson) and 5 Jun (Christchurch).

I'll throw my hat (or sneakers) into the ring too. Ran a 1:31:32 at the Hartford half marathon in October, 2010 and I am not getting any younger. I'll be running the NYC half-marathon on 3/20/11 and will use that as a carrot to get through the snow drifts. 

Nice. Some of you have actually started talking specific races. 

I am likely going for it on 5/2 at the Long Branch Half Marathon. Unless, of course, I nail it eight weeks from now on this course. I know, right?

SMART Approach

I am in. I want this bad - if not this year, NEXT YEAR> Green Bay Marathon (HALF) on May 15. My PR there is 1:30:47 in 2007 on 22 miles per week avg. Unfortunately training for that half is when I messed up my hammys - too much quality work on low miles. You would think I would practice what preach. Last year I did 1:32:40 or so. This is first year I have not had to take time off in winter because of hammys. Training is cumulative so I anticipate a better time. I just need to add in more quality work and try to get my miles toward 30 which is a challenge with my lawnmower foot! Cry

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

I'm in.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

jpdeaux

Okay, I'll try it. Put me down.

I managed 5 of those 6:52s today. Only 8.1 more to add to that. No, I probably could not do that tomorrow. Three months from now? Sure, why not.

Oh and how about calling the "Got it" side of the list "The Halfway House". As in, halfway to a 3:00 marathon.

mta: My half marathon PR of 1:34 is still the first one I ever did, almost 6 years ago. Sheesh. But I have not really concentrated on training for a half. I've run them injured, or in conjunction with a marathon the next day. My 25K (15.5 mile) PR pace on a very hilly course is actually 7 seconds faster than my half marathon PR pace. Go figure.

xor

I want to be a sixty minute man.

Okay, I'll try it. Put me down.

I managed 5 of those 6:52s today. Only 8.1 more to add to that. No, I probably could not do that tomorrow. Three months from now? Sure, why not.

Oh and how about calling the "Got it" side of the list "The Halfway House". As in, halfway to a 3:00 marathon.

mta: My half marathon PR of 1:34 is still the first one I ever did, almost 6 years ago. Sheesh. But I have not really concentrated on training for a half. I've run them injured, or in conjunction with a marathon the next day. My 25K (15.5 mile) PR pace on a very hilly course is actually 7 seconds faster than my half marathon PR pace. Go figure.

Not a bad idea, but for some peeps excelling at 5k-HM is where it's at. 

I want to be a sixty minute man.

done that many times... somewhere between mile 9 and 10. 

Im in.....sub 89 on March 12!

Why is it sideways?

I think this is a great goal for folks. Very few people get themselves into the type of shape to run sub 7 minute miles for an hour and a half. Good luck!

mikeymike

My point: I dunno when it is appropriate to start referring to oneself as a minute-based half marathoner without looking estupido.  It is somewhere below 90 (1:30). Probably way below.  I am going to go with 75 (1:15).

So people who have made the sub-1:30 goal are in the gray area on this.

It's not gray at all.  The beauty of the sub-90 minute half marathon is it is a giant loop hole in the "settle down" rules.  You can absolutely say "sub-90 minutes" because that's how people talk.  We schedule 90 minute meetings all the time.

But we don't schedule 89 minute meetings, or even 79 minute meetings.  Hell no.  Settle down.  No sir once you crack 90 you're back to having to use the colon sign when you discuss your half marathon goal, at least until you get under 70 minutes or so.

(These are my rules, I make them up as I go.)

Therefore, I think the title of this thread should be "Sub-90 minutes for the half marathon 2011."  Even though I'm here merely as an athletic supporter.

Get on it, Nads.

Runners run

Now all I need is a unitary term to encompass srlopez's "minutemen and minutewomen." Minutos?