Sub-90 Minutes for the Half Marathon (2011) (Read 6744 times)

Pool running! Talk to BoilerTom! He is the pool running guru. I think E_rainrun knows a thing to two about it. I think. But she doesn't check in as much. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

SMART Approach

Medical update.

Saw DPM today. X-ray doesn't show stress fracture, but...probably too early for one to show up on x-ray. Given the presentation and all the things leading up to it, his best guess is morton's neuroma (nerve impingement). But, advice is 1 week no running, come back, re-x-ray to rule out fracture, see where pain is, maybe a cortisone shot, and we'll work on addressing root cause (biomechanics, etc.). Based on shoe wear pattern, I excessively under pronate, and some recent PF/arch pain may have exaggerated that more, which may have tipped the neuroma.

I liked the doc, he's a runner, so was easy to relate to and he fully (I think) understood the situation.

Anyway, bottom line is, this sucks. I'll do elliptical/bike if there's no pain in the meantime. But frustrated because feel like I was well on the way to crushing this 90 min thing.

We'll see what happens on the other side of a week.

Yes, and MRI or bone scan or CT scan can show a stress fx. The x-ray shows it only when a healing response has occurred.  Either way, treatment is probably the same. Well, if stress fx, no running for several weeks. Keep an eye on it!

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Medical update.

Saw DPM today. X-ray doesn't show stress fracture, but...probably too early for one to show up on x-ray. Given the presentation and all the things leading up to it, his best guess is morton's neuroma (nerve impingement). But, advice is 1 week no running, come back, re-x-ray to rule out fracture, see where pain is, maybe a cortisone shot, and we'll work on addressing root cause (biomechanics, etc.). Based on shoe wear pattern, I excessively under pronate, and some recent PF/arch pain may have exaggerated that more, which may have tipped the neuroma.

I liked the doc, he's a runner, so was easy to relate to and he fully (I think) understood the situation.

Anyway, bottom line is, this sucks. I'll do elliptical/bike if there's no pain in the meantime. But frustrated because feel like I was well on the way to crushing this 90 min thing.

We'll see what happens on the other side of a week.

How's it coming along?

Just got back from doc this morning. Good news is, doesn't appear to be a stress fracture.

And, pain is improved (but still there). So, probably nueroma, but he didn't want to shoot me up yet (cortisone) because we want to figure out biomechanically what's going on. I'm in least pain in my old pair of Pegasuses, so might revert back to a pair of those (have been in Kinvaras since January). Wants me to keep on doing what I'm doing, and try a short run on a track this weekend, see where I am.

Sub 90 Oct 2 may be slipping away here, but right now that's least of my worries. Just want to get foot right.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
          We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

I'd say you have a pretty solid fitness cushion, so, yeah, just get the foot figured out. 

Well, I suppose my goal fits in here.  I'll be going for it next year at the Provo City Half-Marathon, May 5, 2012. 

The goal (for now) is to hit a sub 72 for my first half-a-thon. At the moment I'm taking some time off, but starting next week I'll be starting back into some light training and progressing to high mileage and the occasional tempo through february.  Starting in March I'll start hitting some hard tempos and plenty of interval work, most of it at 10k or half-a-thon pace.  

I haven't ever created a training plan like this for myself or prepared for a race this long, so I'm interested in the results I'll get.  My half-a-thon training plan is public, if you want to take a peak and give me some feedback.  It's a long ways out, so to say the least, it's not cemented, just a carrot to get me out the door.

[oops]

Ran 20:03 for the 5k today.  Not quite on target for 1:30, but that's where I'm at.  Hopeful that I am spiraling back upward. 

xhristopher

Well, I suppose my goal fits in here.  I'll be going for it next year at the Provo City Half-Marathon, May 5, 2012. 

The goal (for now) is to hit a sub 72 for my first half-a-thon. At the moment I'm taking some time off, but starting next week I'll be starting back into some light training and progressing to high mileage and the occasional tempo through february.  Starting in March I'll start hitting some hard tempos and plenty of interval work, most of it at 10k or half-a-thon pace.  

I haven't ever created a training plan like this for myself or prepared for a race this long, so I'm interested in the results I'll get.  My half-a-thon training plan is public, if you want to take a peak and give me some feedback.  It's a long ways out, so to say the least, it's not cemented, just a carrot to get me out the door.

Um, Dickey, according to your log you just ran a sub 90 half last month as a training run. Looks like there are several others too. Nevertheless, tally ho! towards sub 72. That would be a nice first half.

xhristopher

L Train

Damn!

+1

I'll bet the course was long, that was a nice 2nd mile.  You are on your way back.

DLJ

Ran 20:03 for the 5k today.  Not quite on target for 1:30, but that's where I'm at.  Hopeful that I am spiraling back upward. 

Great work Nader.

That is an awesome base that you have and seems like that speedwork is coming back nicely. Good luck with the continued spiral upwards. Keep up the good work.

Dwane

Damn....late to this BBQ. Sign me up. Sub 1:30, October 9th, Hudson- Mohawk 1/2 Marathon. I've had 35 seconds to go since January 2010.

protoplasm72

This is definitely a goal of mine but I don't know when my next HM will be.  This morning I ran a 1:32:50 HM.  I think I'm in shape for 1:31:30 (7:00 pace) but my pacing was crap.  The first five miles was in 34:05 which is 6:50 pace and I faded hard after mile 8~9ish.  I also was observing the moments of silence for 9/11 by kneeing down for 10~15 seconds so at several times that didn't help but was worth it.  I might look for a race in November to do.  This was actually a 5 minute PR for me over a race from 3.5 months ago so I'm really improving rapidly in the past few months.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

jerbreck

The Joe Mullen of runnin

Can't believe this topic exists and is so popular!

I'm trying for the sub-90 HM on the 25th of Sept in Montreal. Ran 1:32:18 on a tough course (with bad pacing, I always go out too fast!) a couple weeks ago and have been hungry for the 90HM in training. Looking forward to trying!