Sub-90 Minutes for the Half Marathon (2011) (Read 6744 times)

Thanks everyone. I don't mean to downplay the PR. I just wasn't pleased with my pacing:

6:56
    6:30
    7:03
    6:44
    6:39
    6:47
    7:02
    6:51
    6:52
    6:51
    7:02
    14:31 for last 2.1....6:55 pace.

This was my second race since I quit the Garmy cold-turkey (which I'm loving). I was hoping for a negative split, and to have a little more in the tank for the last 5k (didn't happen).okay, last 2 miles.......(didn't happen)......okay............ last mile...........uhhhhh........well, I got there.

I just don't like the "oh shit" feeling you get when you're (barely) within sight of the clock and it's reading 1:29:45. Sometimes a fella doesn't like to be told to hurry up.

On to Philly next month, for the full......

MTA: Hmmmm. Maybe my pacing wasn't so bad, after all. I just secretly wanted to go sub-1:29, I guess.

L Train

Walt, stop looking for the lemons in the lemonade, or something like that.  It's all good, you got the <1:30 and hold on to the positive for the marathon. 

MTA: and those splits look pretty good to me.  If you had too much at the end you'd be wondering what could have happened if you had run faster earlier.

Why is it sideways?

It's a rule: you have to be happy with PRs.

Appears I need to renew my subscription for another year: 1:31:37 at Hartford half-marathon on 10/15. 

Hit the negative splits, 2nd in 45-49 age group, and had lots of fun kicking past a few much younger chicklets at the finish, but the sub 90 remains on the list. Not sure I'll run another half-marathon before the end of the year---maybe on December 10.  The real focus right now is a November marathon. It may be time to give the 'ole bones a rest and run fewer full marathons and see what happens.

Thanks for all the inspiration in this thread and congratulations to all in the growing sub-90 club.

1:31 is something to be proud of CNY. Which one in November?

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Philly...see you there?

Doc, my tooth hurts

Can I throw my hat into the ring to break 90 minutes this year? I'll be attempting on November 5th. 

Philly...see you there?

Sounds great!

Can I throw my hat into the ring to break 90 minutes this year? I'll be attempting on November 5th. 

Yeah, man, just lemme know which race. 

I ran 1:30:11 today.  Happy about it. 

MTA: I really appreciate all the help that you guys have given me. But, it needs to be mentioned that Jeff pretty much coached me for free over the last 12 months (i.e., from 1:37-1:30).  He has sent me private messages before and after almost every race and copiously answered endless training questions.  He got nothing out of it.  He is just a good person that wanted to make someone else happy. I haven't convinced him to go into coaching, but if he does, you all should hire him.      

MoBramExam

Great Job, Nader.  Its been a joy watching your improvement over the last couple of years.  Thanks for all the work you do on this thread.

Doc, my tooth hurts

Yeah, man, just lemme know which race. 

Tyranena Beer Run in Lake Mills WI

Fantastic!! Well done and sub-90 next---essentially there now.

Nice work Nader (and nice coaching Jeff!!)

You too CNY - thats very close.  Good luck at Philly

jpdeaux

MTA: I really appreciate all the help that you guys have given me. But, it needs to be mentioned that Jeff pretty much coached me for free over the last 12 months (i.e., from 1:37-1:30).  He has sent me private messages before and after almost every race and copiously answered endless training questions.  He got nothing out of it.  He is just a good person that wanted to make someone else happy. I haven't convinced him to go into coaching, but if he does, you all should hire him.      

Nice job Nader. Really nice work. And with a student like you, I'm not sure Jeff isn't getting as much out of it as you are.

I have to say it's really inspiring to see the kind of progress you've made and the work you've been putting in to make it.