Sub-90 Minutes for the Half Marathon (2011) (Read 6744 times)

Why is it sideways?

I'm not sure Jeff isn't getting as much out of it as you are.

I'd agree with this, if not for the double-negative.

(Nader is overstating my contributions. I thought we were just chatting!)

Oh, and isn't the goal sub-90 minutes, not 90 minutes and 11 seconds? C'mon man!

Haha

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Great finish Nader, nice work. Now knock it out for good in Philly.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
        We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

I ran 1:30:11 today.  Happy about it. 

MTA: I really appreciate all the help that you guys have given me. But, it needs to be mentioned that Jeff pretty much coached me for free over the last 12 months (i.e., from 1:37-1:30).  He has sent me private messages before and after almost every race and copiously answered endless training questions.  He got nothing out of it.  He is just a good person that wanted to make someone else happy. I haven't convinced him to go into coaching, but if he does, you all should hire him.      

Jeff's willingness to share his knowledge and snark is awesome, and your hard work also might have had something to do with it Nads.  As long as we're giving credit where it is due, let's not forget the Great and Powerful Eric.  I know I wouldn't be where I am running-wise without his tireless efforts.  Instead of my usual pre-marathon RA donation, I made a Kiva loan to a guy in Tajikistan.  The Running Gods were not pleased, and my race was not optimal.  Which is to say the RA Paypal button is your karmic friend.  Won't make that mistake again, trust me on this one.

Fort those who've made the goal congrats, for those still trying - stay healthy, keep at it and enjoy the ride!

E.J.
          Greater Lowell Road Runners
          Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

I ran 1:30:11 today.  Happy about it. 

MTA: I really appreciate all the help that you guys have given me. But, it needs to be mentioned that Jeff pretty much coached me for free over the last 12 months (i.e., from 1:37-1:30).  He has sent me private messages before and after almost every race and copiously answered endless training questions.  He got nothing out of it.  He is just a good person that wanted to make someone else happy. I haven't convinced him to go into coaching, but if he does, you all should hire him.      

NaderAlfie-

I don't stop as often as I used but just noticed this today . I periodically take a peek at some of the logs to see  if there are any new PR's and this one really caught my attention! I remember when you were trying to break 4 hours for the marathon and now this!

Your splits might have jumped around a bit but you stayed strong right through the end--6:55 for last 2.1 is solid. It won't be long before that sub-90 is yours.

Congratulations on a very nice run, and hats off to you too, Jeff.

Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33

Thanks very much, Jim.

How do you feel, being two weeks out from Clarksburg?

Thanks very much, Jim.

How do you feel, being two weeks out from Clarksburg?

To be honest I'm feeling pretty beat up. I hurt my right hip during a 20-miler yesterday and also have a very sore quad. The hip niggle is a new one so I can't be sure, but it feels like something I can get rid of with a day or 2 off and some easy runs. Other than that I'm pretty fit. If I recover like I hope and conditions are good I think I have a shot of breaking 1:31. However I think the sub-90 will have to wait until next year.

Thanks for asking. Keep up the good work!

Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33

To be honest I'm feeling pretty beat up. I hurt my right hip during a 20-miler yesterday and also have a very sore quad. The hip niggle is a new one so I can't be sure, but it feels like something I can get rid of with a day or 2 off and some easy runs. Other than that I'm pretty fit. If I recover like I hope and conditions are good I think I have a shot of breaking 1:31. However I think the sub-90 will have to wait until next year.

Thanks for asking. Keep up the good work!

Your fitness and training is looking great Jim, best of luck from me too for the half.

Your fitness and training is looking great Jim, best of luck from me too for the half.

Thanks, Robin, and congratulations on your new marathon PR.

I read the recap in your log and agree that you have a sub 2:50 in you. In fact, you might have been able to pull it off on that day if you done just a couple things differently. As it was you still ran a very nice time. You are running very well!

Two candidates will be sitting1 for their minuteman exam this weekend: MoBramExam and extendedsolo.

Also, MandyS and Candice S.2 will be running the ING NYC Marathon. 

Bring us back some good news, people!

_____

* running, actually HHAHAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

* Two S's! Should be an eStravanganza! HAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

MoBramExam

Will be ready to roll in about 24 hours.  Course is certified, start time forecast is mostly sunny and 43° with 5 mph winds.  Should be 48° with 7 mph winds by finish.

If I cannot do this on the training I've put in, I just cannot do it.  Only second HM, so still very green at this distance; however, hope that I have worked up to a 2:00-3:00 minute margin of error in my fitness.  "A" goal is to win Grand Master's Division.  Would like to finish in top 5 overall...oh hell, we're all friends here, I really want to finish in top 3 or even win the overall Big grin.

SMART Approach

Good luck runners. Mo - what is up with that killer work out last Wednesday? Holy smokes-9 miles at race pace effort!!!! That is a doozy to recover from. On your miles per week, 5 would have been better and still tough. You will do great!!!

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

MoBramExam

Waiting on official chip time results to post, but gun time is 1:28:01.  3rd Overall.

Splits: 7:09 (ugh) / 6:53 / 6:42 / 6:48 / 6:36 / 6:48 / 6:43 / 6:43 / 6:33 / 6:32 / 6:41 / 6:26 / 6:14 and 1:12 for last 0.20 (by running crappy tangents, found a way to turn a certified course into a 13.20 journey.)

Some splits are clear where stopping for EFS shots/water or gatoraide.  Have not mastered running or walking while drinking.

Way to go, Mo!

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                              We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

Doc, my tooth hurts

I had my attempt at sub 1:30 half today. Finished in 1:28:10.  I'm ok with it, since it was less than ideal conditions with about 1.5 miles non consecutive miles were run into the teeth of a 20 mph wind.  There was also a trail with loose pea gravel, which isn't exactly the easiest to get that extra "spring" and probably affected my pace more than I think.  Next time I try for a PR in the half I'll make sure it's not windy Wink