Do you have a GPS? (Read 6909 times)

1. Garmin 305 2. Yes! 3. Windows XP 4. I also use SportTracks and if it could do the same thing as that, it would be awesome!
    GoMommaGo

It definitely looks like I am in the minority here. Though not long after I got my Timex, I wished I had a Garmin.....
      Hi guys, As I start work on importing GPS, I need to take a survey of what you're using: 1. Which GPS do you use? Please include brand and model.

Timex Trail Runner (Body Link)

2. Do you intend on importing your GPS data to RunningAHEAD.com?

yes!

3. What computer are you using? Please specify operating system and its version.

PC - Windows XP v 5.1 Service Pack 2

4. What do you want the importing feature to do? Please be as descriptive as possible.

Mostly I want to be able to take the GPS data and dump it into Google Earth. While I like the mapping features of RA, most of the places I run are trails that are not visible from satellite. I think it is totally cool to be able to 'see' my runs from above. I can do it using 5 or 6 steps, but having one program do it all, plus allow me to store information about my workout would be too cool. momma That's all I can think of for now. Thanks for your help! eric Smile

Al1

1. Garmin 301 2. Yes 3. Windows XP, IE7 and IE6 4. All the other suggestions have me covered.
          1. Which GPS do you use? Please include brand and model. Garmin Forerunner 301 2. Do you intend on importing your GPS data to RunningAHEAD.com? YES! that'd be awesome! 3. What computer are you using? Please specify operating system and its version. Windows XP and IE 4. What do you want the importing feature to do? Please be as descriptive as possible. I'm not sure what options to even ask for, LOL. Right now, I just upload my data to my Garmin Training program, the best thing is that I can see what my info is for each mile (pace/HR) but other than that, It's my RA log I like to look at most. Big grin

Jennifer mm#1231

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Eric, do you have a GPS device?
            eric :)

Eric, do you have a GPS device?
              Of course I have a GPS. I have two, actually. I bought the Timex one 4 years ago, I think. Everyone in my club used to hate me for correcting their distances because my GPS tends to report the distances to be shorter. I have a love/hate relationship with the Timex. I love how the watch is smaller than the Garmin so I can wear it even when I'm not running. I hate having to wear the separate GPS sensor. If I want to collect the data, I would have to purchase and carry yet another component so I didn't bother. I bought a Forerunner 305 when Derek mentioned about the rebate two months ago. It stayed in its box for over a month because I'm injured and can't really run right now. It came out of the box this past weekend and I hooked it up to the computer to charge for the first time. It's slowly coming to live as I write more code to interact with it. I wonder if I can disable all that beeping...
                Everyone in my club used to hate me for correcting their distances because my GPS tends to report the distances to be shorter.
                I resemble that remark....tho I think, sadly, you were right about the Connolly race. Too bad too, that would be a fast course even if it were actually 8K. My guess is it's 160m short, what do you think?

Runners run

I resemble that remark....tho I think, sadly, you were right about the Connolly race. Too bad too, that would be a fast course even if it were actually 8K. My guess is it's 160m short, what do you think?
                  LOL! I had completely forgotten about the Conolly race. I wasn't thinking of you when I referred to the people in my club. I'm surprised that you even remembered. That course was way short. According to my notes, it was about 4.85 miles (7.79 km) long. I like to run fast, but I knew that it was short even without the GPS because I wasn't capable of running that fast back then, and I had to slow down due to side stitches.
                    1. Garmin 305 2. Yes 3. MacBook OS 10.4.8 Firefox. but will also upgrade when 10.5 available 4. like to import HR and lap time/distance. Tried to log onto motion base, but choose a Garmin logon that was to short. Now they won't recognize each other, and won't let me change my logon.

2018 Goals:

Get Lucky Half  1:47:59

Grandmas Marathon

Fall Marathon - Twin Cities??

1. Garmin 305 2. Yes 3. Windows XP 4. Import History files of work outs. I always wanted to have one but this post tipped the scales for me buying a 305.
                        Garmin Forerunner 305 Win XP, Firefox I would definitely use the import feature. The thing it would need the most is the ability to edit points (like our manual mapping). Garmin does a good job of plotting points, but they are off from time to time (buildings, clouds etc). Another related feature would be the ability to only use the non-plotting info. I run the same routes fairly often. No need to create a new course everytime. If I could just pick from a drop down "My plain old boring 4 miler" and only import my HR, time, weather, it would be sweet. As some folks have said, the lap markers would be a nice feature, but that may be something that comes later. Being able to see your splits over the same course would be a big step over what MotionBased does. You can disable the beeping. Check out the settings\system. There isn option to beep or not to beep. keep up the good work.

I'm sold! After having the watch sit on my desk for 2 months, I finally took it out for a run. I came back, put it back on the craddle and all my data was downloaded onto my computer. Now I have more incentive to do that for the site. Anything that reduces my typing is a good thing. And if I get that done, this site will be sitting quite pretty.
                          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Good job Eric, the addiction begins Wink Upload your data to motionbased.com. A lot of us use this and envision the features for runningahead to include some of what motionbased does (but with point editing and the ability to log other data). It may give you a reference point from which or against which to develop. Thanks!! T
                              1. Garmin 205 (As a former Marine and a banker, I have no heart. Thus, no need for a 305) 2. Maybe 3. WinXP, Firefox 4. Everything (ok,ok. If it could mirror SportsTracks, wonderful. Otherwise, whatever you can do)
                              My Masters (>50) Race PR's: 5K - 20:17 10K - 42:36 HM - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:20:48
                                (As a former Marine and a banker, I have no heart. Thus, no need for a 305)
                                As a soon-to-be lawyer, I guess I don't need a 305 either. Big grin
                                2009: BQ?