RW Questions - Set # 3 (boring but interesting) (Read 811 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

1: At what age did you start running? First time: 11 or 12...I ran track all through jr. high and HS (I was a sprinter and never ran more than 400 meters...or was it yards...in a single meet) This time: 33...but no more sprinting for me (except to the finish) 2: Today's an "easy" running day. What kind of pace will you be running at? 11-11:30 3: On your days off from running, what kind of cross training are you doing? I'm going to be doing some kickboxing over the Winter months (2-3x/week) and maybe once or twice/week come Spring. 4: On what type of surface to you primarily run? asphalt and concrete--less stuff for my clumsy ass to trip on. 5: What time of day do you prefer to run? (Be as specific or as general as you want). All depends upon the time of year. It gets dark way too early to run evenings this time of the year, but in the Summer it stays light until almost 10pm, so I like evening runs then. During the school year I run while my kid is at school (he's in AM kindergarten, right now). And the always special bonus question: which part of your worn, ragged, battered body gets injured most often? (Ed's note: okay, so Runner's World didn't ask it like that. Just work with me here.) Well, I guess my shins and calves, though I don't know if shin splints and possible occasional chronic compartment syndrome are injuries, per se. I find that ample rest seems to help me avoid those issues. My right hip flexor was a real annoyance for a while, there...all better, now.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

1: At what age did you start running? I ran track and cross country in school but hadn't run much since college. I started running again in January at age 41. 2: Today's an "easy" running day. What kind of pace will you be running at? (Gimme a minute-to-minute range. As in, for example, 9-9:59) 10:00-12:00 depending 3: On your days off from running, what kind of cross training are you doing? Mostly biking. Swimming soon since I've been bitten by the tri bug. Wink 4: On what type of surface to you primarily run? Usually asphault, Some grass and the occasional trail. 5: What time of day do you prefer to run? (Be as specific or as general as you want). During the summer, I loved to start a long run at 9:00 PM or so and finish after dark. Usually I run around 6:00 PM because it's more convenient. I *hate* running in the morning. And the always special bonus question: which part of your worn, ragged, battered body gets injured most often? (Ed's note: okay, so Runner's World didn't ask it like that. Just work with me here.) None really. I've had a back/hamstring thing going on, but I've had that for years. I had some knee and ankle issues when I first started running but since I started taking glucosamine, I haven't had any problems. ::knock on wood:: Teresa
        Hi all 1: At what age did you start running? I ran from the age of 8-16 and competed quite a lot. I started in the junior section of my dads running club. I got fed up with competing and spent the next few years in the pub being a student (although I occasionally went out running). I started running properly again at 23 and it's now a regular part of my life again. I still go to the pub though-detox-retox, I say. 2: Today's an "easy" running day. What kind of pace will you be running at? (Gimme a minute-to-minute range. As in, for example, 9-9:59) hmmm probably 9-10 min miles depending on weather, motivation levels etc. 3: On your days off from running, what kind of cross training are you doing? I try and do a spot of cycling and I walk where ever possible. 4: On what type of surface to you primarily run? I love a nice bit of trail running but I live in London so this isn't always possible so it's mainly pavements. 5: What time of day do you prefer to run? (Be as specific or as general as you want). If I can drag my arse out of bed, a morning run is lovely-especially at this time of year-crisp mornings are great as theres not usually anyone else about. The thing is with morning runs though, that I start to feel really tired during the afternoon. So for this practicality I usually go in the evenings. And the always special bonus question: which part of your worn, ragged, battered body gets injured most often? (Ed's note: okay, so Runner's World didn't ask it like that. Just work with me here.) My left knee. During last years marathon training I managed to fall over (I was stupidly trying to change the dial on my radio at the time and slipped on a paving slab-doh!) and really bruised my knee. It meant I had to miss 2 weeks training but, luckily, I recovered in time to run the race. Ever since, however, my knee is a bit tender. I'm lucky really because thats all at the moment. Oh except my feet which are a bit blistered and lacking in 2 toenails.
          1: At what age did you start running? Two months ago, when I was still 43. 2: Today's an "easy" running day. What kind of pace will you be running at? (Gimme a minute-to-minute range. As in, for example, 9-9:59) 11-11.59 3: On your days off from running, what kind of cross training are you doing? Cycling, hiking (if you can call the latter 'cross-training') 4: On what type of surface to you primarily run? trail, dirt road, asphalt. haven't ran on concrete yet. 5: What time of day do you prefer to run? (Be as specific or as general as you want). Not in the afternoon. And the always special bonus question: which part of your worn, ragged, battered body gets injured most often? I didn't get a running injury yet, but I guess my right knee is the most vulnerable part (kind of 'runners knee' after tough mountain hikes with very long and steep descents)

Running in Belgium
          Ann

JakeKnight

Interesting responses. Especially how many of us started and stopped a few times. I'll type up the answers next time around.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
            -----------------------------

JakeKnight

THE ANSWERS: 1: At what age did you start running? Under 18 -- 28% 25-34 ------ 19% 35-44 ------ 18% 45-54 ------ 6% 55-64 ------ 1% (Ed.'s note: I'm a little surprised there aren't more older folks!) 2: Today's an "easy" running day. What kind of pace will you be running at? 6:59 - or faster ------- 3% 7-7:59 ------------------ 12% 8-8:59 ------------------ 25% 9-9:59 ------------------ 28% 10-10:59 --------------- 19% 11:00 or slower ------- 13% 3: On your days off from running, what kind of cross training are you doing? Strength training ---- 50% Cycling ---------------- 48% Practicing Yoga ------ 16% 4: On what type of surface to you primarily run? On a road ------- 50% On a trail -------- 16% In a park -------- 11% On a treadmill --- 5% On a track ------- 1% 5: What time of day do you prefer to run? (Be as specific or as general as you want). Not in the afternoon. 63% choose morning over later. 19% actually run before dawn.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
              -----------------------------

1.I banditted Boston in 1981, I was 20 2: Easy runs between 9:15 & 10:00 3: I x-train on a Nordic track skier & a Concept II rowing machine. Both excellent workouts 4: Running surface, almost always asphalt. 5: Preferred time to run. I've always been a night runner, these days I prefer to get out as soon after dinner as family obligations allow usually after 8. I like ending my day with an endorphin buzz (or maybe that's the post-run shot of tequila). And the always special bonus question: which part of your worn, ragged, battered body gets injured most often? I have a right hip that towards the end of long runs lets me know when my running form starts to get sloppy.
                  1: At what age did you start running? 7th grade...because I sucked at all the "cool" sports (see my profile). 2: Today's an "easy" running day. What kind of pace will you be running at? (Gimme a minute-to-minute range. As in, for example, 9-9:59) 8:30-9:30 (Gees, can that be right?) 3: On your days off from running, what kind of cross training are you doing? Absolutely none, except lifting my beer from the table to my mouth. So, is that considered weight lifting? 4: On what type of surface to you primarily run? Living in the country in Indiana, I have little choice but asphalt or gravel roads. All the while dodging horse poop. 5: What time of day do you prefer to run? (Be as specific or as general as you want). Varies greatly. But I hate running in the early morning. And the always special bonus question: which part of your worn, ragged, battered body gets injured most often? Achilles tendonitis. I'm hard on shoes and I think I've been using them too many miles.
                  That day, for no particular reason, I decided to go for a little run....Forrest Gump

Cryptic

1: At what age did you start running? 15 2: Today's an "easy" running day. What kind of pace will you be running at? 8:30 3: On your days off from running, what kind of cross training are you doing? Soccer 4: On what type of surface to you primarily run? asphalt 5: What time of day do you prefer to run? I prefer to run in the morning however more times than i would like i end up running around 3 pm And the always special bonus question: which part of your worn, ragged, battered body gets injured most often? Knocking on wood as I type this, I typically don't get injuries. I have had water on the knee and a broken foot but both happened playing soccer.