Helvetia Half & One year benchmarks (Read 548 times)

A Saucy Wench

Having a hard time writing this report and not sure why. I will probably come back and add more later. But since I did this race last year, I love this race and will probably do it in the future AND it is always the week of my birthday, I think it will be a good year to year benchmark event. 2007 - weight 132 temp 52 rainy 2008 - weight 133 (which seems good except for the 5 lbs I lost and regained! Tongue) temp 54ish bright sun Sun was a new thing for me this year so I did struggle a bit with it, but I kept reminding myself that although it FELT hot, it was not in fact hot. So HTFU and run! I had taken advantage of looking at my splits from last year on a hilly course and I do think it helped. The main thing I needed to see was that miles 3 and 4 are SLOW and to just focus on effort and not on pace. I set my goal pace for the first 3 miles, did NOT look at pace for miles 4 and 5 until the top of the hill, and then didnt look again until mile marker 7 which was 0.25 miles from the end of the hilly section. It also helped me to see that I should make my pace chart for the high end of my goal range with the way I ran it last year. Made the chart for 1:47 with even splits (originally when I was considering making a chart based on the terrain and splits for last year I was planning on 1:46) Knew that if by mile 8 I was back on pace I was good to go for it Miles 1-3 (8:19, 8:05, 8:10) - I think the first mile ran long, otherwise I felt a little heavy legged but ok through this. 4 seconds off pace at the end of the 3 miles Miles 4-5 (8:23, 8:42) this is a steady climb and then a steep climb. I am very pleased with the pace. I kept myself from pushing too hard especially since I was being passed a lot here. At the end I was 50 seconds off an even pace, but ahead of where I expected to be given the terrain. Mile 6 - 7 (7:36, 8:01) First 1/2 of mile 6 is a steep downhill, and I flew. I passed a gazillion people on this section. I like downhills and rarely have a problem with overdoing or overholding. Maintained my turnover through the rollers for the rest of the mile. Only 8 seconds back of pace with 0.25 of hills remaiing Miles 8-10 (7:38, 7:47, 8:10) this section has a good downhill followed by gentle rollers with an overall down to flat. Mile 10 was a bit slow BUT when I look at last year mile 10 was my slowest second half mile there as well. I think it has an overall up grade. Again was glad I had looked at the splits because I didnt panic or get upset when I saw my pace drop. In these last few miles I gained time and was now 1:15 ahead of even pace. Think I can break 1:46 Miles 11-13.1 (8:03, 8:08, 8:05, 0:53) right before the mile marker we turn on to gravel and catch the tail of the 10K. At mile 10.5 I feel the first sign that my energy is flagging and I have to will myself to keep going. I start to see my pace drop. Can not maintain 8 minute pace, but still ahead of 1:47 pace. Feeling the sun a lot (pathetic!) The last mile is definitely mind over matter. Finish time 1:46:01 a PR of 1:41 since April 2007 finish time was 1:56:51 - so in 1 year I took 10:50 off this course. Big grin MTA: I compared my splits with my theoretical splits from last year and they are amazingly close except I was MUCH faster on the steep downhill and last year I had a lot more left in the tank and really took it down the last 2 miles and this year I was just hanging on for dear life. I think last year I had TOO much left and this year I probably overran the middle miles but all in all very pleased.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Sounds like an awesome race, Anne. A PR is always great! 10 minutes off last year? Fantastic!

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

HCH

Great job!

Only 26.2 miles more to go.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Great Race, Ennay!

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

That's awesome, Anne...what a great picture of what consistent training can yield! I dropped about 10:30 between my first and second HMs--11 months apart. Second one was on a more challenging course, too. I wish I had room for a half this year, since I'd love to get under 2 hours at that distance. I'm also a downhill girl. I have started taking it easier on uphills and then letting my legs carry me more on the downhills--taking advantage of my sprinter legs. Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Top 'O the World!

WTG ANNE!!!!! WOO-HOO!!!
              Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                Way to go Ennay!
                Teresadfp

One day at a time

Congratulations, Anne! It's amazing how the sun can make things harder - that's what it does to me, too. Good job on the PR!

A Saucy Wench

That's awesome, Anne...what a great picture of what consistent training can yield! I dropped about 10:30 between my first and second HMs--11 months apart. Second one was on a more challenging course, too. I wish I had room for a half this year, since I'd love to get under 2 hours at that distance.D
                    You can!!! Let see looking back I took off 10/2004 - 2:20:28 9/2005 - 2:07:49 (-12: 39 in 11 months) 2006-pregnant 6/ 2007 - 1:56:51 (-10:58 - 8 months after baby) 6/2008 - 1:46:01 (-10:50 in 12 months) A half somewhere in your marathon training plan is a great check see where things are. I like doing one about 5 weeks out.

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Eustace Tierney

YoYo

WEll DONE Ennay! You women put us men to shame!

"The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." Goals: Keep on running!

Very nice Ennay. Quality race. Congratulations.

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

Very impressive, Ennay. The progress you have been making is just super. This was your best race ever based on time alone, and when you consider it was run in the summer on hills...well that's pretty **** good. Congratulations and yet another PR. You are on your way to a big year.
                          Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
                          mikeymike

That's really nice work. Congrats.

Runners run

A Saucy Wench

thank you thank you Big grin - although calling it summer is a stretch!!! I am such a heat wimp Tongue

Another Passion

Well done, Ennay! I'm continually impressed by your progress. Congratulations.

Rick
                                "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                                "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                                runningforcassy.blogspot.com