Hills versus speed work. (Read 677 times)

So if I wanted improve my running strength and I didn't want to stress my body to much, which is the better choice? Which produce more stress on the joints that would lead to me requiring more recover time?

A Saucy Wench

I wouldnt worry about either right now. Just work on increasing your miles and being consistent. That is the kind of strength you need at this point.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Just Be

Hills are *by far* easier on my joints and muscles, etc. Both train different locomotive systems, though. There's nothing quite like a good steep 1 mile long 18% grade hill to pound out at 6 in the morning! Cool
          Looking at your log, I'd consider running rolling hills aerobically. You can maybe throw some fartleks in there. But you need to focus on running consistently and getting some more time on legs in there.
          "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
            I prefer hills to speedwork. Running uphill is much easier on the joints. Running downhill is harder, however if you run downhill slow enough you can negate that. I think all runners who plan to race someday need some sort of speedwork or hill work. Speed / Hills, will require you to use your Quads and Glutes. In my case it does. When I run slow I notice the calves get a little sore. I attribute this to the fact when running slow the calves do the bulk of the work. When you run fast or on hills your Quads & Glutes tend to do more of the work, at least in my case they do. So it is pretty tough to go into a race with well developed calves, and be dependant on underdeveloped upper leg muscles. If you have done little or no speedwork you won't be able to run nearly as fast as you are capable of. Keep in mind it is just what I think and I am just a rookie myself Smile

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

xor

Chris, when you write "improve (your) running strength" what do *you* mean by that?

To be honest I am getting bored with the purely aerobic work I have been doing so far. I want to be able to push myself a bit harder once in while. I would like to know what running work out has the best ratio for work out intensity versus impact.

Just Be

For me, that workout is always a low intensity speed session with 200 to 400 meter jogging recoveries followed by immediate entry into the next effort. This translates for me into 16x400s in 75 to 80 seconds with 200 meter jogs in between, or 8x800 in 80 to 85 seconds per lap with 200 meter jogs, or 4x1 mile at 5:10 to 5:40 per mile with a 400 meter jog recovery lasting less than 5 minutes, or 32x200 in 32 to 34 seconds per 200 with a 1 minute 200 meter recovery jog, but that one I hardly ever do. I tend to get nagging injuries when I go for maximal intensity workouts requiring walking recoveries, such as 3 sets of 4x200 at 26 to 28 seconds per 200 with up to 10 minutes walking between reps, then a 4 minute lap jog in between sets... these types of workouts can't get your heart rate near maximum, which is where you see the greatest aerobic system strength gains, so for that reason, the former mentioned workout types will probably suit you better starting out, you'll just need to adjust the speeds of the efforts to fit with your training goals. The latter workout focuses more on raw anaerobic speed gains than aerobic gains.
                  Scout7

If you want to run harder, run harder every so often. Harder does not require the use of intervals, or hill-specific workouts. You could also sign up for a race. There's no one right answer here.