NYC Marathon PR (Read 597 times)

ultramarathon/triathlete

Well, I had a great race yesterday.  Beat my previous best time by 16 minutes and beat my last year’s time by 26 minutes, running this year in 3:16:39.  And the best thing was I felt great for the whole race, only getting a little tired around mile 22 and slowing a bit through the end few miles. 

I ran with my friend/teammate Anna for the first 13 miles which was great and made it the fastest (mentally) half marathon I’ve done.  It felt like 5 miles.   After 13,  I pulled away from her a bit and held strong through mile 18.  I felt great and actually speed up to just around a 6:55/mile pace but knew I’d only have a mile or two before all the previous miles, and all the gatorade I’d been drinking, and all the GU would start to catch up to me. 

By mile 21 I was still feeling good, but started to get tired around mile 22.  My stomach was acting up and I just wanted to walk.  I managed to avoid it and keep running and just ticked off the last few miles slowing a bit overall.  I saw a few of my teammates on the sidelines cheering and heard my name a lot but I was off in another world and just wanted to keep one foot in front of the other, and I made it.

In the past, I’ve felt terrible around mile 21 and each year I wonder why on earth I do this and tell myself that this year will be the last time!  But this year was different and I was much better trained.  I didn’t feel bad at all and in the final miles I was already looking forward to my next race:  The Knickerbocker 60k Ultramarathon.  I guess I’ll do that.  I’ve got two weeks to recover from NYC, then I’ll run 37 miles. 

Also, I looked up the famous people who ran the race, and I beat all of them that I could find:  Ed Norton (3:48:01), Alanis Morissette (4:28:45) Anthony Edwards — “Goose” from Top Gun and Dr. Green on ER (4:08:20) Jerusalem mayor Nit Barkat (4:42:46) Matthew Reeve —superman’s son (4:23:36) and ultramarathon man Dean Karnazes (3:25:44).  Take that!

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
    Gatorade Endurance Team

Dave, congrats on chopping 16 minutes off your PR ... and beating Ed Norton.   Nice work.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Congratulations.  The great marathon result should give you a lot of confidence for the 60k

Running - cheaper than therapy