Diet Pop impact on weight (Read 1723 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

If someone found a correlation that showed that overweight people tend to do diet things -- drink diet drinks, go on diets, ... -- I wouldn't be too surprised.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

What about Pop's impact on weight?  Supersize your coke, and youll add 400 calories to your meal, even more if you go back for a refill.

When I first went off to college as a skinny teenager, there was unlimited fountain drinks in the cafeteria.  When I came home for my first Christmas, having put on about 15 pounds, my dad asked me a simple question "How much pop do you drink at the cafeteria?"   I hadn't thought about it since I was always able to drink however much soda I wanted growing up. 

It took me until the next summer to lose those 15 pounds. 

And what about those people who go to Mikky-D's and order the Big Mac, Supersize large fries and the supersize DIET Coke?  I would make a guess that over half of those people believe that the Diet Coke has some sort of negative calorie effect that nullifies the supersize fries and Big Mac-  if those people even know what a calorie is at all?

He he he. Cause and effect? Your logic is somewhat twisted.

How so?

The news reports say that diet drinks "can cause you to gain weight". 

The diet soda may "cause" you to THINK that you need to eat more, or need more sweets, but the diet soda does not cause you to eat more.

Jeff

And what about those people who go to Mikky-D's and order the Big Mac, Supersize large fries and the supersize DIET Coke?  I would make a guess that over half of those people believe that the Diet Coke has some sort of negative calorie effect that nullifies the supersize fries and Big Mac-  if those people even know what a calorie is at all?

And we blame that on the diet drink itself?  Blame it on ignorance, or even the company marketing the drink, but don't blame it on the drink.

Jeff

Purdey

Self anointed title

How so?

The news reports say that diet drinks "can cause you to gain weight". 

The diet soda may "cause" you to THINK that you need to eat more, or need more sweets, but the diet soda does not cause you to eat more.

You said that "it's really the "user", eating more because of the diet drink." Therefore, the drink is having an effect. Were it not for the drink, the user would not be eating more. Correct?

You said that "it's really the "user", eating more because of the diet drink." Therefore, the drink is having an effect. Were it not for the drink, the user would not be eating more. Correct?

I think it's for two reasons:

a) with the diet drink, people may end up consuming more of other foods thinking that "it's okay because there aren't any calories in my beverage"

b) diet food tends to replace the fat with sugar (7 to 4 calorie/gram ration, yes),or replaced with a bunch of chemicals for the very low cal food. Since sugar (or its substitutes) are less satisfying than fat, people may tend to eat more to feel satisfied. By eating more, they end up consuming more calories than if they had just eaten the real stuff to begin with. 

That's my theory anyhow. Using my own experience, when I eat "real" ice cream I feel pretty satisfied after one small scoop. When I eat the reduced fat stuff, after one scoop I want another one. 

This implies that the user has no self control.

Which is, of couse, most likely the issue anyway.

Jeff

That's my theory anyhow. Using my own experience, when I eat "real" ice cream I feel pretty satisfied after one small scoop. When I eat the reduced fat stuff, after one scoop I want another one. 

And DO you then eat another one?

If you do, the reduced calorie ice cream may make you think you want more.  But if you ultimately eat it, it's your action.

Jeff

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

This is totally irellevant in my opinion.  If you drink a diet drink, and physically do not consume more sweets, then there is not an issue.  Everytime one of these "studies" hits the news, it makes it sound like the diet drink is what is causing the weight gain.  When it's really the "user", eating more because of the diet drink.

Yeah, you are right.  Fat people are weak and make bad choices.  It is all their fault.

localoutoftowner

There have been small flawed studies like this that come down the pipe for years.  There are a lot of studies like this that show that among diet drink consumers, total calorie intake is greater than among non-diet drink consumers.  One theory is that the artificial sweeteners stimulate the brain's sweet centers but not the satiety centers, which leads to a re-regulation such that (over time) you need to eat more sweet to satisfy you.

I'm going in school for the medical field and I see published studies that are like this all the time. Once you read into the study, it's all a bunch of uncontrolled mess, or something that isn't conclusive. However, they no problem putting up a headline like "Eating dog poop makes you run 3 minute miles."

Feeling the growl again

Yeah, you are right.  Fat people are weak and make bad choices.  It is all their fault.

Blanket statements are always wrong.  <<irony>>

That said, when I get fat it's because I am being weak in my discipline to watch my diet and exercise and because I give in to making poor food choices.  When I am strong and force myself to do what I should I lose weight.

While their may be valid biological issues far a small number of people, and I am sure food content can affect hunger etc, at the end of the day most overweight people...including some I love dearly...lack only the willpower to do something about it.  There is not a darn thing you can do for someone until they want to do something about it.  Alternatively, some people don't have the knowledge to make good choices or understand their problem.  In that case they are not weak....or making choices at all...they just don't know.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I once went to school in the medical field. Smile

Feeling the growl again

I once went to school in the medical field. Smile

They have medications for that... Wink

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

trinurse

artificial sweetners try to fool the body and the body does not recognize it as sugar so the body is like "come on bring it on I want sugar that was not sugar!" so the body continues to crave it until it gets it.

keeponrunning

In my personal experience, with no scientific evidence or studies to back me up, I find myself craving something sweet after I have diet pop (or, frankly, anything with artificial sugar).  Sometimes I am weak and give in, less times I'm strong and don't.  I tend to avoid pop of any nature for that reason.  I'll stick to my black coffee and water, yum!

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022