Diet Pop impact on weight (Read 1723 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Blanket statements are always wrong.  <<irony>>

... There is not a darn thing you can do for someone until they want to do something about it. 

I see what you did there.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

When I first started running 5 years ago only for weight loss and only on a treadmill, I made sure to change my diet along with the exercise.  The first thing I did was stop drinking as much regular soda that I did.  I was drinking at least 5 sodas a week.  After losing a bunch of weight, I started craving sodas again.  But instead of going for the regular, I tried getting the body use to the taste of diet to save on the calories.  I couldn't stand plain diet soda and had to start with diet vanilla Pepsi.  I slowly worked my way to just plain diet soda and now drink one a week.  Usually on Sundays which tends to be my rest and cheat day.  I've never had the craving for sweet stuff after drinking diet soda, but I'm only drinking it once a week.  I think sodas have to be the #1 reason for obesity today.  With soda fountains, free refills in restaurants, it's just way too easy for people to rack up at least 1,000 calories in soft drinks in one meal...and that was me in high school and thoroughout college.

xor

I once went to school in the medical field. Smile

pasture, artificial turf, or maintained grass?

HermosaBoy

pasture, artificial turf, or maintained grass?

Baseball...

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Why is it sideways?

There has been some evidence that the flavor of sweetness, when sensed by the brain, has certain effects on appetite and can create physiological responses. I believe some of these studies have been linked. This article explains the phenomenon briefly.

Here's one more link.

localoutoftowner

Interesting. Time.com is going to make my head explode!

They reference the dog being conditioned to drool when he hears the bell. I'm not really sure that there is a relationship between that and a person picking up a hamburger and taking a bite because he had artificial sweeteners.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I know my consumption of salty snacks is moderate until I drink a soda; then it skyrockets.  The salt makes me crave the drink and the drink makes me crave more snack.  With water, craving is minimal.

xor

Interesting. Time.com is going to make my head explode!

We call that a time bomb.

HermosaBoy

We call that a time bomb.

As opposed to:

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

xor

I never could figure out how to pronounce The The's name.

thuh thuh

thuh thee

thee thee

thee thuh

thuh THUH

thuh THEE

thee THEE

thee THUH

THUH thuh

THUH thee

THEE thee

THEE thuh

Am I doing this right?

I never could figure out how to pronounce The The's name.

thuh thuh

thuh thee

thee thee

thee thuh

thuh THUH

thuh THEE

thee THEE

thee THUH

THUH thuh

THUH thee

THEE thee

THEE thuh

Weird!  Reading that post almost has a calming effect. 

No excuses....

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

There has been some evidence that the flavor of sweetness, when sensed by the brain, has certain effects on appetite and can create physiological responses. I believe some of these studies have been linked. This article explains the phenomenon briefly.

Here's one more link.

No Jeff.  Fat people are weak and make poor decisions.  Don't bring physiology into this.  Calories in, calories out. 

Diet Sprite and R&R

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

Zortrium

I never understood diet soda.  Seems like throwing your money down a hole for the purpose of buying a drink that both tastes lousy compared to the real thing and doesn't have any nutritional content (which, arguably, even empty sugar calories are).  Kind of like paying for bottled water, which I also don't get.

Then again, I've never been big on wasting calories on samey old drinks anyways, be it soda, beer, or what have you.  Give me a quality dessert or more dinner any day and I'll happily keep chugging the free tap water.

Scout7

Diet soda is like decaf coffee, fighting for peace, or screwing for virginity.