Diet Pop impact on weight (Read 1723 times)

henryc

Diet soda is like decaf coffee, fighting for peace, or screwing for virginity.

or non-alcoholic beer

xor

I'm a little confused by the 'screwing for virginity' selection.

Imminent Catastrophe

Oh there are old articles about how nutri-sweet made holes in your brain.  They probably meant Broca's area***.

Here's our buddy Mercola now.

*** yes, I realize that's speech.

OMG, you linked to Mercola, which is way, way worse than HuffPo. 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

xor

OMG, you linked to Mercola, which is way, way worse than HuffPo. 

I know! I know!  HOLES IN YOUR BRAIN!

I love pulling the Mercola outta my asshola now and again.

DIet drinks, I cannot have one without chasing it with some salty cheesies or chips.  I think it is conditioning from childhood.  If I have splenda-lemonade or a SOBE, no such reaction.

But I also think the artificial sweeteners must be causing fat storage via insulin - I suppose they have looked at that and not seen an effect on carb utilization?

Curiosity - I've noticed that ants seem to love aspartame, good research model or not?

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

localoutoftowner

But I also think the artificial sweeteners must be causing fat storage via insulin - I suppose they have looked at that and not seen an effect on carb utilization?

Why would they have an effect on insulin if they contain no carbohydrates?

Imminent Catastrophe

I know! I know!  HOLES IN YOUR BRAIN!

I love pulling the Mercola outta my asshola now and again.

Mercola, Asshola. Isn't that a Jimmy Buffett song?

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

xor

Why would they have an effect on insulin if they contain no carbohydrates?

I think it has been shown that just putting sugar in your mouth, then spitting it out will cause release of sugars into your bloodstream.  The body is anticipating a meal therefore doesn't doesn't go into miserly mode.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

I have to admit that I am a HUGE diet coke/pepsi drinker.  I have an extremely high sweat rate when I run and I need to replenish but not really a water drinker.

I usually drink at least 1 (sometimes) Super Big Gulps of diet coke every day.  It used to be Slurpees but I am cutting down on calories to drop down to a better race weight.

In the past month I have dropped 12 pounds.  I think the switch to diet drinks as a form of rehydration has been a large part of that, in addition to the running.

2018 Goals

Figure out the achilles thing...... and THEN try to get running regularly again.

No racing goals 

localoutoftowner

I think it has been shown that just putting sugar in your mouth, then spitting it out will cause release of sugars into your bloodstream.  The body is anticipating a meal therefore doesn't doesn't go into miserly mode.

Glucagon is what you're talking about. It is released when blood sugar is too low, not when food is anticipated.

Yeah, you are right.  Fat people are weak and make bad choices.  It is all their fault.

Glad you're having fun at my expense.  I never said "Fat people are weak and make bad choices" nor did I even imply it.

But, whatever.

Jeff

Ostrich runner

The reason people are fat is because there isn't enough Olestra available.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Purdey

Self anointed title

Glad you're having fun at my expense.

It IS fun isn't it?

an amazing likeness

Out of curiosity, where is the soda vs pop demarc line?  Seems like it's somewhere in the midwest....Des Moines IA seems to be soda, but MN is pop....

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.