Weather on New Run Entry form (Read 1654 times)

I love the Weather Channel forcaster that is on the training log summary. Is it possible to duplicate it on the page when entries are made? I find myself getting to the "tempurature" data entry point, and opening the Training Log summary in another tab to find out what the temp is/was when I ran.
    Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
    mbk

That's a great idea! I do the exact same thing! Big grin
        I like this idea too, or even better, have it fill in the temperature field auto-magically Cool

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Wingz

Professional Noob

I like this idea too, or even better, have it fill in the temperature field auto-magically Cool
          Cool That would be cool! As long as we could change it, of course. Wink

Roads were made for journeys...

Agree - I like the auto-temp idea. And agree that an over-ride would be good. You know when I run in a different town - I wouldnt want my log to be off by 2 or 3 degrees! Wink
            eric :)

The auto temp feature is nice, but I'm not sure how practical it is unless you can hop on a computer immediately after a run. Besides that, I don't even know of a weather service that allows me to look up temperatures for a given location. Anyone know of such a place? If you're an international user and know of sites that offer weather stickers for your location, please let me know about that too!
              Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I am compulsive. I hop on the computer the moment I finish. Motionbased does this automatically. I upload my data and within an hour or so they have put in the weather info for the lat/long and time for my run, including temperature and sky conditions. I wonder if there is an API at weather.gov.
                  I use a nearby personal weather station from wunderground.com as it more accurately reports the microclimate around my runs. I see you can get temperature/humidity/etc from each station's web page at various intervals (station dependent) so it would be quite cool to automate this. Another thing I wonder is if it's possible to compute corrections for either pace or heart rate based on temperature, humidity, fitness, etc. I've found a few guidelines for this but nothing definitive. This sort of metric would be useful to normalize pace and/or heart rate data so I could compare my winer 32F runs with spring/summer 80F runs. I'm pretty sure the ultimate conclusion would be "You're still slow." Smile
                    The National Weather Service provides XML-encoded information about the weather. You have to send a latitude and longitude as input, but there are other services that can get you that from a ZIP code or a City/State. Looks like there's some information here on how to do it in .NET, and I've had some previous success using pxWeather, which is PHP-based.
                      The auto temp feature is nice, but I'm not sure how practical it is unless you can hop on a computer immediately after a run. Besides that, I don't even know of a weather service that allows me to look up temperatures for a given location. Anyone know of such a place? If you're an international user and know of sites that offer weather stickers for your location, please let me know about that too!
                      I don't know about everyone else, but I normally log my runs not long after I get home. Weather.gov has all sorts of web services related to current conditions and forecast. Here's a link to the page regarding current observations. Here's another one that talks about calling one of the weather.gov forecast web services using latitude and longitude.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

The auto temp feature is nice, but I'm not sure how practical it is unless you can hop on a computer immediately after a run.
                        If you use the autofill, you'll have to add a ZIP CODE or other type of detailed location to each log entry, since runs aren't always made nearest our home location. However, since most of my runs are very near my home, I would be more than happy with the current temp & forecast high/low for the day at my home. That way, if I'm entering data in the evening, i can make a guess at what the temp was when I ran.
                        Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
                        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

If you use the autofill, you'll have to add a ZIP CODE or other type of detailed location to each log entry
                          All the maps we use for logging our routes have lat and long in them. Eric could just use that to acquire the weather data from weather.gov. Again, this is what motionbased does. Say I go out for a 2 hour run. It finds automatically for those two hours in that location the average/high/low temp, the wind speed and the sky and puts it all in my log.
                            whoa cool thanks!
                              All the maps we use for logging our routes have lat and long in them. Eric could just use that to acquire the weather data from weather.gov.
                              But some of us don't use the map feature, just have route named that we know by that name.
                              Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

But some of us don't use the map feature, just have route named that we know by that name.
                                Agreed. The point is that we could have many things easily added to help us document weather, and none are perfect, but they all may help some of the time. The solution is incremental, with added features based on how much information you give RA. With no information, you do as you are now and enter the weather data based on your best guess. But the more data RA has about your run as you log it (location, time), the more it could do to help you. The most obvious and easiest to implement would be the weather icon that is currently on the summary page. Sometimes it is relevant (meaning you ran in the same town about which it is reporting and are logging immediately after your run). You could look at the weather on the icon and type it in yourself. A more complicated tool to develop would use your course (which, even if you don't create a map, you can still input a town) and it could use this info to prefill the weather. For courses that don't have any location information, you would do just as you do now and enter the info yourself. A great solution, but even more difficult to develop, is one that looks at your uploaded GPS data and queries weather.gov for the weather data based on the GPS location and time recordings. Again, this would only help those who use GPS, and everybody else would continue doing as they are now.