What is your opinion of Alberto Salazar as a coach? (Read 1632 times)

Doc, my tooth hurts

I'm not misunderstood, I have incredible experiences with an incredible number of people, that's the fun of this for me.

If you kiss his ass, he'll lick yours. When you can easily prove how little he knows about the science of teaching running skill, then he'll treat you like shit...

And since you've never met him, spoken with him, or even run with him, you opinions of him have no relevance to who he is...

So he's licked your ass is what you are saying?

Prince of Fatness

I'm not misunderstood, I have incredible experiences with an incredible number of people, that's the fun of this for me.

If you kiss his ass, he'll lick yours. When you can easily prove how little he knows about the science of teaching running skill, then he'll treat you like shit...

And since you've never met him, spoken with him, or even run with him, you opinions of him have no relevance to who he is...

Well when you speak like you do you limit your audience.  I for one will never give credibility to anything that you say simply because of the fact that you speak disrespectfully to people.

And since I did not offer any opinion regarding Salazar's running, coaching, or anything else, there is nothing to be irrelevant.

Have a nice day.

Not at it at all. 

sport jester

Biomimeticist

He gets Uncle Phil to buy his runners. They were all good to start with.

The only question is to what extent he improved them.... And that answer is simply that he can't. What measurements can you list for me which document any biomechanic skill change in their running technique.

I don't kiss anyone's ass...

Maybe you can tell me what his tastes like.

Experts said the world is flat

Experts said that man would never fly

Experts said we'd never go to the moon

Name me one of those "experts"...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

sport jester

Biomimeticist

Well when you speak like you do you limit your audience.  I for one will never give credibility to anything that you say simply because of the fact that you speak disrespectfully to people.

And since I did not offer any opinion regarding Salazar's running, coaching, or anything else, there is nothing to be irrelevant.

Have a nice day.

the question is "what is your opinion of Alberto Salazar as a coach?"

I answered it. That you don't like my opinion is your problem, not mine.

You were expecting everyone here to fawn over him? Drool about his stable of runners someone else bought for him?

I wrote my opinion based on experience, something which you have yet to say you can equal...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

The guy's a worthless prick not to mention pathetic coward.

And I say that from having a personal experience with him. He's an arrogant fuck that can't run anymore and takes that out in his sadistic treatment of the runners he bought with Uncle Phil Knight's credit card.

Nobody under him is a better runner because of him.

Uncle Phil buys him the best runners given his mandate is to take the Boston Marathon crown from the Kenyans who own it. Uncle Phil buys him the best and he can't do anything but injure them.

Come on now... why?

MTA... the "why" question was not for you to elaborate.  The "why" is a question of why you would write such an offensive post. 

I realize that's your opinion, but sometimes, your opinion should remain your opinion, and should not be spread for all to read.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Come on now... why?

Why do you encourage him?

Jeff

C-R

I think one of the fundamental issues judging someone's effectiveness as a marathon coach is simply that the athletes don't run a lot of them.  And when they do....seems the American runners tend not to be as consistent as the Africans, for whatever reason.  So there's a small data set and a lot of variability in it.

Bingo. I would

I'm with Ilene in not having a clue about Salazar and his capabilities as a coach of elites. From my experience with coaching in an individual sport, the key is a personal connection with the athlete. By that I mean they have to gel together and buy into the theories and applications. Just look at people like Tiger Woods who now is going on coach #4. He did some great things under Harmon as well as Haney (this was prior to the personal life implosion) and they have very different approaches to the swing. They gelled and he did well and when they didin't, they split. Now he's working with Foley and it seems things are picking up a bit. Compare that to Jack Nicklaus who one had one swing coach for his entire career. He did pretty well too but I recall him saying one time he thought of Grout as a second father. I guess they gelled.

The only thing I can add is that if Salazar were my coach I would probably improve my running if I didn't die from his program. Big grin

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Prince of Fatness

I answered it. That you don't like my opinion is your problem, not mine.

I don't have any problem.  However you for the most part criticized Salazar as a person, not a coach.  I just don't understand how you would think that anyone would take your opinion seriously when you speak disrespectfully.  Maybe you don't.  OK.

You were expecting everyone here to fawn over him? Drool about his stable of runners someone else bought for him?

Nope, I wasn't expecting that at all.

I wrote my opinion based on experience, something which you have yet to say you can equal...

And I won't be saying it, so you can breath now.  I have no experience in dealing with Salazar.  Happy now?

Not at it at all. 

sport jester

Biomimeticist

Because I spent two years with Nike's Sports Research Lab. And in that capacity I not only had my own personal experiences with him, but listened to other employees tell stories to how "nice" he treated them. He's mocked and laughed at regularly.

He was mandated by Uncle Phil to take the Boston crown from the Kenyan runners who dominate it, has spent millions of dollars of Nike's money down the drain in that worthless quest and doesn't like having his ego challenged when you bring up that fact.

sport jester

Biomimeticist

I don't have any problem.  However you for the most part criticized Salazar as a person, not a coach.  I just don't understand how you would think that anyone would take your opinion seriously when you speak disrespectfully. 

I'll ask again, what measurements in his stable of runners has he impacted in any positive function?

To be open about my own outlook on life, I don't have any opinions of anyone until I experience them personally. I don't have opinions about anyone until they create them.

Given you're a runner who has only second hand knowledge of Salazar from what you read in running magazines or articles, your sources are highly biased and filtered because nobody wants to piss of Salazar and face his refusal to talk to them. And the easiest way to get on his bad side is to ask him where the millions of dollars went in taking the Boston crown....

And when you ask him questions about running that he can't answer, he'll treat you like shit as well. That you can't ask a question that he can't answer, is your limitation, not mine. So as long as you hold him to your god status, then he has no qualms about treating you like a royal subject. 

mikeymike

This thread is timely because I was just thinking: "I wonder what sport  jester thinks of Alberto Salazar."

Runners run

L Train

So as long as you hold him to your god status. 

Where did MrPH or anyone else say or even remotely imply this?  I missed it.

L Train

This thread is timely because I was just thinking: "I wonder what sport  jester thinks of Alberto Salazar."

Yeah well in the spirit of this thread I hear you are just an elitist douchebag. 

MrH

I'll ask again, what measurements in his stable of runners has he impacted in any positive function?

Kara said the following:

"My decision to leave the Oregon Project was a very difficult one and a decision that I gave endless thought and consideration.  I have had my best years under Alberto Salazar and after 7 years together he certainly knows me better as an athlete than anyone besides my husband.  I have blossomed under him, going from an often injured nobody to a World Championship bronze medalist and Major Marathon podium finisher.  To say that Alberto has helped me find myself and my career would be a massive understatement.  He has forever changed my life and I feel eternal gratitude toward him."

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

Prince of Fatness

That you can't ask a question that he can't answer, is your limitation, not mine.

I can ask him a question that he can't answer.  It just won't be about running.  But then again I have never made that claim, have I?

So as long as you hold him to your god status, then he has no qualms about treating you like a royal subject. 

Please quote any post from me where I said that I held Salazar to some god status.

Not at it at all.