What is your opinion of Alberto Salazar as a coach? (Read 1632 times)

Prince of Fatness

I absolutely love it when people who have never studied a subject at all proclaim to know everything about it...

Wow.  Please explain to me how you came to the conclusion that the following statement is a proclamation of knowing everything about the subject.

I don't think this cat is overstriding. I'll bet when those front paws hit the ground, the body has caught up and they land right under the shoulders. 

You're a piece of work, I'll give you that.

Not at it at all. 

Better yet, ask yourself the question; why can a cat at 9" in height jump to a 5ft fence, and a dog of the same size can't...

Whales can hold their breathes for over an hour.  Have you ever asked yourself why you can't do the same?  If you learn to breathe like a whale, maybe you'll have a better VO2max and thus run faster.  Comparing humans to other animals is a waste of time because we're physiologically different.  So, if she weighs the same as a duck, then she's made of wood. And therefore... A WITCH!

JimR

Salazar produces fast runners

xor

I can speak whale.

Anybody participating in this thread because it is fun to crack jokes, ok.  Feel the need to state an opinion, ok.  Trying to see into the mind of jester, ok.

Anybody participating in this thread attempting to engage jester in a thoughtful manner with an end result that you and jester will walk away better informed about each other's views.... or attempting to "teach" jester... or trying to get him to "see your side"...  well, have at it.  Ain't gonna happen.  At all.  Ever.

If he's a troll (which I doubt), he's completely owning us.

If he's sincere (which I believe), then his mind works in a way such that normally constructive discourse just bounces.

Edited to add: if you go back to old threads, you will see that I was convinced he was a troll.  Now I don't think so.  Maybe this means I have learned something.  Or not.

JimR

I can speak whale.

blowhard...

I've lived my life asking questions, that's how I came up with different answers....

So how fast can you walk....

Well, I think I can walk away from stupidity as fast as Albarto does.

But before I do that, I do have 2 question to you; (1) what is this message board called, and (2) why is it called by that name?

Jester, I really do think you have some interesting insight to offer.  It is quite unfortunate that you don't seem to understand how to interact with people--at least if you have it, I haven't seen it here.  For someone who asked a lot of questions though out his life, you don't seem to understand there is another part of asking question; listening.  How many people just on this thread alone addressed above questions, and answers, to you?

Oh, I actually have one more question; so you were walking @ 7MPH without arm-swing and you went all the way up to 9.5MPH walking.  So beyond 7MPH, you were swinging your arms?  Also, if you may, maybe, just maybe, the reason why Salazar walked away from your fast walking is because he was more interesting in 12+MPH of RUNNING.

If you EVER be interested in moving forward to becoming a coach, take my word for it; you need to develop good INTERACTIVE still with PEOPLE.  Someone who ONLY understand how to coach people to run ONLY 12MPH would come out as a better RUNNING coach than someone who COULD possibly coach someone who COULD run 13MPH but never be able to convey that to anybody.  The treasure hidden from the rest of the world doesn't have much value at all.  Good luck to you.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

If you people cared about running faster, you'd take more seriously this debate about how a cheetah's front paws land -- ymmv & I have given you the springboard -- now take it and do something productive with it.

It seems quite apropos to track racing, considering that I've seen several runners go into horizontal motion as they cross the finish line -- albeit none of them landed anywhere near as gracefully as a cheetah does.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Feeling the growl again

And he absolutely deems himself the best running coach on the planet. Especially since I was cleared by Nike's Sports Research lab that I know more about running than he does...

Yet given all Nike stands to make by generating success, he works there and you don't; he has produced record holders and you have produced no evidence of coaching anyone to anything significant in running.  You have to talk about football players.

Curious.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

JimR

The latest issue of Canadian Running arrived in the mail today.  I'm going to sit on the group W bench for a while and read about humans running.

Why is it sideways?

the group W bench 

I knew I liked you.

HermosaBoy

The latest issue of Canadian Running arrived in the mail today.  I'm going to sit on the group W bench for a while and read about humans running.

But are you moral enough to join the army?

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Doc, my tooth hurts

The point isn't so much that you ask (or don't ask) questions.

It's that... in the structure of this message board, at least... you don't have a reputation for asking questions as a way to learn.  You only ask questions as a lead-in to promote how amazing you are.

You aren't asking me this so that you can learn as a student.  You are ONLY asking me this so that you can tell me that I could improve that speed through your Amazing Methods and/or to tell me that you can walk faster.

I believe I read a term for this behavior dubbed "secret socrates" described below.(not written by me)

This person is imagining himself as Socrates, leading you wisely through a bunch of questions to discover the truth (which means whatever he is pushing) for yourself. What he is actually doing is playing King of the Mountain without telling anyone else that they're playing. He gets up on the mountain and invites people to come climb because he "wants to see other people's climbing techniques." Then, as you start climbing and showing him your footholds and such, he kicks you in the face and starts knocking all the other climbers off, and they're just as surprised as you were.

See, you can feel like you are "winning" an argument if you are the only one arguing and everyone else is just casually trying to help you answer the question you claimed to innocently need help with, in the same way you can "win" a fight if you ask someone to help you fix your computer and you stab him in the back while he looks at it. It doesn't make them wrong or a sucker, it makes you a dishonest asshole.

I like threads that SJ hijacks because they are entertaining, and he doesn't do it too often so I don't get sick of it.   I'm always just so disappointed that another human being can be as dense as SJ. 

HermosaBoy

Hi Nobby!

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

ymmv

My guess is to the contrary -- that it is reaching, and its paws are contacting well in front of its shoulders -- like a person swimming.

Here is a slow motion video -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCUyo2rwq-c

What's funny is that it is still too fast to make out the answer -- plus the grass is in the way. Why don't they chase antelopes on tracks, in front of videographers?

Hey Perry, this was a google hit on 'cheeta overstride'.

jules2

Whales can hold their breathes for over an hour.  Have you ever asked yourself why you can't do the same?  If you learn to breathe like a whale, maybe you'll have a better VO2max and thus run faster.  Comparing humans to other animals is a waste of time because we're physiologically different.  So, if she weighs the same as a duck, then she's made of wood. And therefore... A WITCH!

I was going to say he's not a very good coach because he has no wheels and can't carry passengers but your reply is far better.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.