What is your opinion of Alberto Salazar as a coach? (Read 1632 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

...this was a google hit on 'cheeta overstride'.

You have either reached a page that is unavailable for viewing or reached your viewing limit for this book.

What did it say?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

henryc

Whales can hold their breathes for over an hour.  Have you ever asked yourself why you can't do the same?  If you learn to breathe like a whale, maybe you'll have a better VO2max and thus run faster.  Comparing humans to other animals is a waste of time because we're physiologically different.  So, if she weighs the same as a duck, then she's made of wood. And therefore... A WITCH!

Heck with holding your breath. We just need to learn how to fly. If an ostrich can fly, humans should be able to also.

ymmv

You have either reached a page that is unavailable for viewing or reached your viewing limit for this book.

What did it say?

It said: 

"To make running even more fluid with less impact, extend your stride in the air and return your foot backward before you land. This can clearly be seen in the fuller over-stride of a cheetah running at seventy miles an hour. The front feet over-stride high in the air and then take a long and fast swing back before the cheetah lands under its shoulders. The best physics does not return your feet faster than the speed of the ground moving away from you."

Anyway, I don't know about the whole running technique part, but I thought the cheetah part was interesting.

Can you really pick a "best physics"?  I'd say they're all pretty good.  

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

What did it say?

The End of the Internet

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I guess maybe the human does something a bit analogous to that - thinking about the crawl -- in the entry to the water, the arm & hand have just started to return, I think?

MrH

Can you really pick a "best physics"?  I'd say they're all pretty good.  

Unless you're a theoretician, you only get to work with one set.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Unless you're a theoretician, you only get to work with one set.

There's another sort of physicist?

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

And cost the academic community millions in "research" grant money by solving the problem?

Reality is that I'm the only one who can describe, mimic, and teach how the women of Kenya carry 20% of their bodyweight with no increase in energy expenditure and nobody else in the world can.

Given they're referred to as "peer review" journals, then just who are my peers?

Your peers are those that you believe are inferior to you.  Or those that have set the current bar to understanding the topic being researched.

If there is one thing about science, it is that it is shared and published for all to benefit.  If it is worthy of publishing, then you would be published.

• Black Canyon 100k
                    • RRR
                    • Zane Grey 100k
                    • High Lonesome 100
                    • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
                    • The Bear 100
                    • Javelina Jundred (?)

jules2

And cost the academic community millions in "research" grant money by solving the problem?

Reality is that I'm the only one who can describe, mimic, and teach how the women of Kenya carry 20% of their bodyweight with no increase in energy expenditure and nobody else in the world can.

Given they're referred to as "peer review" journals, then just who are my peers?

Does it only work with Kenyan women as if not you'd make a fortune training runners who 20% overweight to run as fast as their peers who aren't.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

sport jester

Biomimeticist

It said: 

"To make running even more fluid with less impact, extend your stride in the air and return your foot backward before you land. This can clearly be seen in the fuller over-stride of a cheetah running at seventy miles an hour. The front feet over-stride high in the air and then take a long and fast swing back before the cheetah lands under its shoulders. The best physics does not return your feet faster than the speed of the ground moving away from you."

Anyway, I don't know about the whole running technique part, but I thought the cheetah part was interesting.

I'll sum it up for you real easy; horses and humans push their weight, cheetahs, and all other feline species pull it....

If your foot is landing on the ground at a speed faster than you're currently running, there can't be any braking effect...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18854295

Funny that it took over 12 years for the "experts" to figure it out.

That was part of my conversation with Salazar that I laugh my ass off about.

I asked him if he grew up in the suburbs. He nodded.

So I asked him if he had ever seen a dog chase a cat. He said yes.

So I asked him if the dogs were bigger than the cats. He said yes

So I asked him if he had ever seen a dog catch a cat. He said no.

So I asked him. "So explain to be the difference in running technique, because the smaller runner was the better runner". Of course he couldn't.. Our conversation deteriorated quickly after that....

Experts said the world is flat

Experts said that man would never fly

Experts said we'd never go to the moon

Name me one of those "experts"...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

Doc, my tooth hurts

I'll sum it up for you real easy; horses and humans push their weight, cheetahs, and all other feline species pull it....

If your foot is landing on the ground at a speed faster than you're currently running, there can't be any braking effect...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18854295

Funny that it took over 12 years for the "experts" to figure it out.

That was part of my conversation with Salazar that I laugh my ass off about.

I asked him if he grew up in the suburbs. He nodded.

So I asked him if he had ever seen a dog chase a cat. He said yes.

So I asked him if the dogs were bigger than the cats. He said yes

So I asked him if he had ever seen a dog catch a cat. He said no.

So I asked him. "So explain to be the difference in running technique, because the smaller runner was the better runner". Of course he couldn't.. Our conversation deteriorated quickly after that....

A zebra is bigger than a hyena but can run just as fast.   EXPLANATION NEEDED!

Feeling the growl again

Wow, SJ's stupidity has just gone to a whole new level.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

sport jester

Biomimeticist

A zebra is bigger than a hyena but can run just as fast.   EXPLANATION NEEDED!

Different biomechanics.

And neither is as fast as a cheetah

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

sport jester

Biomimeticist

Wow, SJ's stupidity has just gone to a whole new level.

Thanks....

Instead of calling me stupid, why don't you write the people who wasted public research funds to come to the same conclusion I did in 1997 and did it for free...