What is your opinion of Alberto Salazar as a coach? (Read 1632 times)

I was always taught cheetahs nevah prospah. Evah.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
    We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
    dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Just to disprove SJ-

"Another stride problem can be identified by first running through a puddle or across a patch of firm sand.  Go back and examine your footprints.  They should fall in a fairly straight line, with you left footprint and right footprint no more than a few inches off center (it is obvious from the passage as a whole he means that a few inches off center is least ideal...inline is ideal) If you run down a white stripe at the side of a soccer field, you should be able to run comfortably with both feet consistently hitting the line, rather than straddling back and forth from on side to the other. In addition the inside edges of your foot prints should point pretty close to straight ahead." - Alberto Salzar

"I think what you wrote is fair; except for the part whereas Salazar is a "student" of running. Students ask questions; Salazar is one of absolutes. And he deems a more efficient running technique to exist as "impossible". Minor detail, its already documented.

http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/200512/23/images/1222_B76.jpg"  - SJ

FLASE:  He is describing your picture.

-------------------

Cats are much more efficient in running economy than either humans or horses (for a quadruped comparison)

Horses and humans overstride, cat's don't. Why wouldn't a distance runner not want to learn the skill? -SJ

" The major, correctable lower-body error is a problem that coaches call overstriding, but that might better be called reaching out.  is occurs when you leg swings too far forward with each stride.  Your foot comes down in from of you body, generally far back on the heel where the shock of the impact "puts on the breaks" with each stride--an inefficient, potentially injurious practice" - Salazar  He goes on to explain how you foot placement should be under you hips going from a slight pull into a long gliding motion maximizing the use of your strongest muscles....the hamstring and glutes.  He also notes that your foot landing should be light propelling you forward not loud and hard denoting that you are coming down hard on the ground. 

"Perhaps the greatest distance runner of all time is Haile Gebresailesse, from Ethiopia.  Watching him in slow motion is an eye-opening experience.  His feet come straight down at the end of each stride, with almost no breaking impact and his extension at the end of each stride is superb."- Salazar

False: He criticizes over striding...even notes that he was guilty of it.  He is describing inline running. He is also describing landing you feet underneath you and gliding forward much as a cat would run.  He is saying many similar things, just not in your words.  He

He also notes the need to lean forward additionally when running

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

xor

I was always taught cheetahs nevah prospah. Evah.

+10 for Ravenclaw

MrH

we'd be setting records all over the place! 

Very likely, but records for what?

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Very likely, but records for what?

Least number of references to Salazar in a thread titled Salazar?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

MrH

Only til I reach the pancakes.

That reminds me. It's Pancake Tuesday today.

Best served very thin with sugar and lemon.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

FALSE:  He [Salazar] is describing your picture.

-------------------

False: He [Salazar] criticizes over striding...even notes that he was guilty of it.  He is describing inline running. He is also describing landing you feet underneath you and gliding forward much as a cat would run.  He is saying many similar things, just not in your words. 

DP, thanks for researching and sharing.  Very interesting.

And, that, RA, is the joke of it. Smile

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

sport jester

Biomimeticist

hey DP,

Very good quotes from Salazar. Difference between him and myself? What he describes to what you "should" be able to do, I teach how to do....

What you're supposed to look like is vastly inferior than describing the biomechanic process to mimic it perfectly. He was describing a picture, sure, but nowhere does he give the instruction for how to do it...

And to restate, overstriding is the limits of humans and horses, and the correction for training a horse not to overstride is no different than teaching a human how to do it. And of course cats don't do it at all...

That's why cats can stalk. Watch a cat stalk, and you'll see their lead step far out in front of them, not landing under their hips.

Besides, forward lean is what caused pronation, not to mention shortens stride length...

Experts said the world is flat

Experts said that man would never fly

Experts said we'd never go to the moon

Name me one of those "experts"...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

I am astounded by the quality of the posters who are pandering to this.  What a great thread this could have been.  

In response to the OP, I think he is a great coach.  Here is what he did with one high school soccer player.  

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

sport jester

Biomimeticist

I am astounded by the quality of the posters who are pandering to this.  What a great thread this could have been.  

In response to the OP, I think he is a great coach.  Here is what he did with one high school soccer player.  

Too much lateral sway in Rupp technique, along with too much pronation. No intoed form in his technique at all... His left hand is coming across his chest much further than his right arm in swing, which is a byproduct of pronation, no symmetry in arm swing and therefore no symmetry in leg swing either.  He's landing inline quite well, but centerline of his knees are on the outside of the centerline of his feet, wich will strain his IT Band.

Not to mention how little publicity he's received for it, even here in Portland, Oregon. Nice record, but no marketing bump from it.

Could have been faster...

Experts said the world is flat

Experts said that man would never fly

Experts said we'd never go to the moon

Name me one of those "experts"...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

xor

if only he had known The Secret.

Hoban-Jay

Who here has accomplished what AS has as an athlete OR as a coach!?  The man continues to astound and amaze me.  Shocked

Turbolegs

I can teach an Ostrich to run 45% faster by showing how Salazar runs the marathon .. however no Ostrich is willing, its their loss.

I dont sweat. I ooze liquid awesome.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

That reminds me. It's Pancake Tuesday today.

Best served very thin with sugar and lemon.

And bacon. And sausage. And potatoes.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.