disturbing dream - overtraining? (Read 682 times)

After 3 weeks in on my 30 week marathon training, last few days I had some disturbing dreams. The dreams were about running. It was a bit disturbing while waking up. Is that the indication of overtraining?

I only do 25 miles per week at the moment. I feel my legs muscles tighter but not sore. I don't feel tired during the day. My resting heart rate (60 before running a year ago it was 80) is normal. My average speed is improving, first week 8:47/m, second 7:52/m, third 7:37/m. I seem to response to the training well.

Having said that, yesterday (Sunday) when I did the 7.5 mile run, I felt the distance very long just after 1.5 miles in. However, I reminded myself that the mileage is important according to the experienced runners, articles and books, so I just kept going and felt better and better. My start wasn't too fast. The first mile was 7:40, but my average was 7:27/m.

Based on the McMillan Running calculator, all my training speeds are too fast. If I target 8:00/m for the marathon, I should run slower that what I do at the moment. So my question is if the speed, especially the long run one, is very important to hit the marathon target.

5k - 20:56 (09/12), 7k - 28:40 (11/12), 10k trial - 43:08  (03/13), 42:05 (05/13), FM - 3:09:28 (05/13), HM - 1:28:20 (05/14), Failed 10K trial - 6:10/mi for 4mi (08/14), FM - 3:03 (09/14)

BeeRunB

For me, dreams about running are common leading up to a big race. Often, they aren't pleasant and involve being late for the start, getting lost on the course, not being able to find the course, courses that run through people's houses and places of business, and not being able to move my legs fast enough.

Read up on overtraining for symptoms. Usually it will show up in your resting heart rate, training paces at the same heart rate (getting slower), feeling exhausted, losing motivation, dead legs that won't go away. Keep track of your resting heart rate. If it gets elevated or lowered about 5 beats or more over an extended period, there's a problem.

Check out this link on OT

And this one

Google Overtraining----there's a lot on it.

Cool

I'd have nightmares too if I was following a 30 week training program.

Read up on overtraining for symptoms. Usually it will show up in your resting heart rate, training paces at the same heart rate (getting slower), feeling exhausted, losing motivation, dead legs that won't go away. Keep track of your resting heart rate. If it gets elevated or lowered about 5 beats or more over an extended period, there's a problem.

That is why I am confused by dreams as no other symptoms seem to come up.

5k - 20:56 (09/12), 7k - 28:40 (11/12), 10k trial - 43:08  (03/13), 42:05 (05/13), FM - 3:09:28 (05/13), HM - 1:28:20 (05/14), Failed 10K trial - 6:10/mi for 4mi (08/14), FM - 3:03 (09/14)

I'd have nightmares too if I was following a 30 week training program.

Since I have never run a 10k race or a half marathon, so the first 12 weeks I would call is a pre-marathon fitness training.

Check out this link on OT

After checking this article, I might be on the stage 1 functional overtraining (overreaching).

ultramarathon/triathlete

For me, dreams about running are common leading up to a big race. Often, they aren't pleasant and involve being late for the start, getting lost on the course, not being able to find the course, courses that run through people's houses and places of business, and not being able to move my legs fast enough.

Man I've had soooo many of these dreams before big races, and sometimes just randomly not even close to races.  For years I had a dream that I was leading a race and got way out in the lead only to find I had no idea where to turn and the course was poorly marked.  Several years back when I was finally leading in a 5k for the first time ever, the memory of that recurring dream hit me like a ton of bricks and I thought "oh crap, it's finally gonna happen!"  I was so relieved to get passed and have someone to follow!

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                Gatorade Endurance Team

xor

After checking this article, I might be on the stage 1 functional overtraining (overreaching).

Or you went from the couch to running 25 mpw in three weeks.  You are pooped.  Your body needs a chance to catch up.  Plus you are running too fast.  Instead of trying to name the thing, just take it easy and either take a cut-back week or (if it was me) hold that mileage for awhile until your body catches up.

Do not worry about classical "overtraining" after three weeks of 15-25 mpw.

Dreams can mean many many MANY things.  I would not diagnose a specific condition based on some random dream.  It is possible that you are simply tired.  It is also possible that you are super worried about TMTS (too much too soon) and it is manifesting itself in dreams.  Or you could have had bad Indian food.

Relax.

And slow down most of your runs.  Learn how to run EASY.  Which is a perception of effort, not a clock-specific pace.

I have the "legs don't work" dreams all the time. I wonder if it's a manifestation of sleep paralysis: You can't move your legs because you're dreaming, so you dream about not being able to move your legs.

Fortunately I seem to be pretty good at flying!

Man I've had soooo many of these dreams before big races, and sometimes just randomly not even close to races.  For years I had a dream that I was leading a race and got way out in the lead only to find I had no idea where to turn and the course was poorly marked.  Several years back when I was finally leading in a 5k for the first time ever, the memory of that recurring dream hit me like a ton of bricks and I thought "oh crap, it's finally gonna happen!"  I was so relieved to get passed and have someone to follow!

27 weeks before the marathon, it is probably too early for me to dream like you do, but it seems happening to me. :-)

Or you went from the couch to running 25 mpw in three weeks.

I only found runningahead.com after I decided to train a marathon, so I just started logging.

I actually ran about 22 mpw during my 5k training for many weeks.

You are right. I think I shall probably slow down a bit.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I'd say slow down your thinking about it.  It's just running. Smile  Run.  When you get closer to your race, you can start thinking about details, but you'll be a lot closer to being prepared, and you then can think about all the fancy-schmanzy details they put in those plans.

As a musician, I occasionally have those stress dreams leading up to a concert - showing up without my instrument, my music, my clothes, etc. Smile

BeeRunB

I've had the leading the race one you've had, though will never have that experience in real life, unless I cherrypick really well.

I almost had the late for the start one in real life. It was any interesting daymare that turned out well. If the spirit moves you, You can read about it here.

xor

I only found runningahead.com after I decided to train a marathon, so I just started logging.

I actually ran about 22 mpw during my 5k training for many weeks.

You are right. I think I shall probably slow down a bit.

Well, similar thing... if you have run 20+ mpw for many weeks, then it is really unlikely that a build-up from 15 to 25 is going to kick you into "overtraining", whether that is stage one or stage four (I dunno how many levels there are really).

Dreams are mysterious things.

Last night I dreamt I ate a 50 pound marshmellow.

1500 miles away, Percy Warner's pillow disappeared.

I almost had the late for the start one in real life. It was any interesting daymare that turned out well. If the spirit moves you, You can read about it here.

I enjoy reading your race. It is nice.