Going for the 4-Mile Record (Read 805 times)

I am going to run the Goodlettsville 4 miler next weekend and am planning for a state record. As you can see below the record is a little soft this year. However, the next weekend I am running a very flat 5K and hoping to break 19. I think my training is good to go and would like to break 25 for 4 if possible. Here is the record history: 48 24:56.2 AMY BARROW NASHVILLE GOODLETTSVILLE 8/5/2006 49 25:18.0 AMY BARROW NASHVILLE GOODLETTSVILLE 8/4/2007 50 28:14.44 KAREN SEIFERTH ROGERSVILLE JOHNSON CITY 7/4/2008 Just need some advise/encouragement!!
      I'm not an elite runner, so I can't offer any advice. Encouragement is an entirely different story, kick some ass Amy! (You might want to modify your posting, the Trenternet is a scary place and you have your name, location and birthday on the same page. I know that the race results page will also make this mistake, but no sense gift wrapping it for a creep.)

E.J.
      Greater Lowell Road Runners
      Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Thanks for the tip. I am kind of old and new to the wiles of internet creeps!
        mikeymike

I haven't run a lot of 4-milers but I ran one on the 4th of July and loved it. They symmetry of 4 mile splits is comforting, mentally. I tried to think back to the few times I raced the mile in high school and thought of it as 4 quarters--except the quarters were miles. Once I went through three miles I was pegged but strangely confident I'd be able to put on a kick in the last quarter mile, and I was. I don't have a lot of advice but I think you can do it--you're workouts are amazing.

Runners run

JimR

Thanks for the tip. I am kind of old and new to the wiles of internet creeps!
            For us runners, it's nearly impossible to keep our anonymity. We love posting our race times, the races we do. Then you've got race pictures and details and all sorts of stuff. I figure the hellwithit, I don't hide nuttin cuz anyone can figure it out anyway. You'll do fine on your 4 miler.
              For us runners, it's nearly impossible to keep our anonymity. We love posting our race times, the races we do. Then you've got race pictures and details and all sorts of stuff. I figure the hellwithit, I don't hide nuttin cuz anyone can figure it out anyway.
              You are largely correct Jim, once you post "I ran 23:45 at the Gullible 5K" the world knows your name, age and hometown. I just object to race directors publishing your actual date of birth, age should be sufficient. It's one piece of information an identify thief should at least have to work hard to get. We now return to the Go Amy! portion of today's programme.

E.J.
              Greater Lowell Road Runners
              Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

redleaf

Wow! How cool is that! You go get 'em!

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

kcam

I really envy the consistency your training log shows. Good luck in those two races.
                  JakeKnight

Good luck, Amy. I might have to come watch. From about a quarter mile behind you.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                    -----------------------------

Not quite sure how to word this correctly Amy, but you have finished on my heels in two of the last 5k's we have raced (Pig Trot, Strawberry). I will be racing G'ville 4 miler for the first time. Stay with me for I should run just under 25:00.

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

Ricky I would also love to run a sub 60 15k and a sub 85 half. I have PRs from my early 40s in 5k (17:29) 10K (37:05 at Cresent City) and ran Tom King a couple of years ago in 1:26. Will you try for sub 60 at Shelby Bottoms 15k? I am going for the record at Murfreesboro Half (sub 1:30). I will look for you at Goodlettsville. I will try to follow you however, I usually go out fast and that may not be your style. I am good at even splits in training, but racing is a whole different matter.
                          Amy Shelby 15k is when I hope to go sub-60. My training is sorta on hold for now (the heat!) but I'll soon ramp it back up to peak for fall. That's why I should just get under 25 in G'ville next week, and not under 24 (where I should be if not for setbacks). Hopeful for that in S'field 4 miler later. As you, I go out too fast as well, and expect I'll run 5:50 first mile in G'ville and be close to 12 even at the split. Recover and finish just under 25, hopefully. I have yet to make up my mind to race the Middle Half or Music City Half. I'd prefer Middle, but for the cost of traveling and entry fee, MC would be the better choice. Both are flat, but do you have reasons for choosing Middle, other than better competition there?

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Good luck, Amy! It's exciting to have record-holders and potential record-holders in our midst. I hope you have great weather and an even better race! Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Middle just seems a more "stable" race with more crowds. I am certain of the certification and there is a chance of prize money. I haven't run it but have heard it is flat.
                                Amy I hope you catch this post. I now must work tomorrow and will not be able to race the 4 miler in G'ville. I'm sure of you setting the record and hope you lower it to 24:5?. And let us all know how you did.

Ricky