Lingo here .. what is being said. (Read 1585 times)

Turbolegs

gsp is, apparently, "great scary place" or "giant scary place"... meaning the regular message board area.  It is used by people who hang out in one of the groups like masters or the swamp or perhaps that group I'm not allowed to mention by name.  I think (though I can't say for sure) that "gsp" kind of means "the place where you are more likely to get beat up, as opposed to the friendly confines in here".

SRL .. tricky one to call .. is this running-ahead related or general?

I dont sweat. I ooze liquid awesome.

xor

huh?

Oh. You mean the two buckets in the first post.  I hadn't noticed it was organized that way.

I don't use gsp, I've just heard of it.  I think it is general.  I could be wrong.  Pretty sure anyway.

Turbolegs

huh?

Actually meant if it was lingo specific to RA ..

MTA: Never mind .. added it to the general section .. never seen this before though ..

xor

I've only heard of it from RA people, but I've heard it thrown around, as with many acronyms, as if everybody already knows what it means.  I don't hang out in tons of message boards these days so I can't say for sure.  99% of things that people think were invented "here" (not specific to RA, I mean on any board) really were not, though.  And yes I arrived at that number scientifically.

I did invent the term 'comet' though.

Now I'm confused.  Is the "running related" bucket supposed to be "terms about running" or "terms specific to RA"??  Is the "general" bucket supposed to be for "terms from other boards"??  Anyway, terms about running =/= terms specific to RA.

Turbolegs

I've only heard of it from RA people, but I've heard it thrown around, as with many acronyms, as if everybody already knows what it means.  I don't hang out in tons of message boards these days so I can't say for sure.  99% of things that people think were invented "here" (not specific to RA, I mean on any board) really were not, though.  And yes I arrived at that number scientifically.

I did invent the term 'comet' though.

Now I'm confused.  Is the "running related" bucket supposed to be "terms about running" or "terms specific to RA"??  Is the "general" bucket supposed to be for "terms from other boards"??  Anyway, terms about running =/= terms specific to RA.

Ah .. ok .. i think i succeeded in obfuscating the hell out of you (.. just because i know a synonym for confuse ... Smile ) .. My intent was ... the bucket General is stuff that goes in everyday life .. the bucket Running is related to just that .. not just Running ahead ... however, when i asked you the GSP thingy, since it was related to the forum (as per the definition) .. i asked if it was only used here in Running Ahead  ...

Btw, dont know how true this is .. but i am told that the word "Acronym" itself is one, standing for A Concise Rendering Of Names Yielding Mnemonics.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

DILLIGAF?

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

xor

I think that's apocryphal.

Here's what's stuffed into dictionary.com:

acronym

1943 coinage from acro-,  comb. form of Gk. akros  "tip, end" (see acrid) + Eng. -onym  "name" (abstracted from homonym ; see name). The practice was non-existent before 20c. except in cabalistic esoterica and acrostic poetry.

Turbolegs

DILLIGAF?

FWIW, FIFY via MTA on 1st post. Smile

Turbolegs

".... except in cabalistic esoterica and acrostic poetry."

Profound !!!

xor

Profound !!!

But not FUBAR.

I always thought it was humorous that CS types like to talk about "foo" and "bar" (and bat and baz, but I digress)... but for awhile, before Band of Brothers and before information-at-your-fingertips, lots of the people I worked with didn't seem to grasp that it came from fubar.

Turbolegs

But not FUBAR.

I always thought it was humorous that CS types like to talk about "foo" and "bar" (and bat and baz, but I digress)... but for awhile, before Band of Brothers and before information-at-your-fingertips, lots of the people I worked with didn't seem to grasp that it came from fubar.

HTGIFM (as opposed to LMGTFY) .. had to google it for myself ... Joking ... list updated.

xor

+1   I agree.

-1    I disagree.

0    I don't care (not used much).

+a big number    I really agree and what you said is amazing.

-a big number     I really really disagree and that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

I do not know the origin.  Backintheday, coolrunning people would use "1" (for agree/yes) and "0" for (disagree/no) from binary.  Except that it morphed into 1 and -1.

Turbolegs

+1   I agree.

-1    I disagree.

0    I don't care (not used much).

+a big number    I really agree and what you said is amazing.

-a big number     I really really disagree and that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

I do not know the origin.  Backintheday, coolrunning people would use "1" (for agree/yes) and "0" for (disagree/no) from binary.  Except that it morphed into 1 and -1.

I think the switch from Binary to Trinary was precipitated by the DILLIGAF bunch ...

xor

As for GETM, I don't really know, except that you may not get a straight answer, judging from what I found by using "GETM" as a search term in RA's cool little search box.  Lots of people asking, and lots of people having fun with it.

It may or may not have originated with the cool points game and the term "give em to me".  The problems:

1. I found that in search, and because I do not know history nor contextual cues/clues regarding swampisms, I have no idea if this is FOS (full of shit) or not.

2. The origin may or may not have anything to do with how the term is actually used.

PS.  The Walrus was Paul.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

"the place where you are more likely to get beat up, as opposed to the friendly confines in here".

irony is beautiful.