Corral Jumpers (Read 454 times)

xhristopher

It's usually fun to pick out the people at Boston who either bought or are just using someone else's bib prior to the race but it is a lot less fun to pick these folks out during the race when they ignorantly start running with much faster runners.

If you are way overweight and jogging 10 minute miles with a water belt I'm going to call bullshit on your 3XXX bib number.

FSBD

The people already know they are wrong.  Why bother saying anything?  What are they going to do? Say, "Oh you got me, I'll move back now."

It's annoying, but why mess with my pre- race mojo?

You end up passing and being passed by so many people at the very start anyway until people settle into their pace, what's one more to pass?

We are the music makers,

And we are the dreamers of dreams,

Wandering by lone sea-breakers,

And sitting by desolate streams; 

World-losers and world-forsakers,

On whom the pale moon gleams:

Yet we are the movers and shakers

Of the world for ever, it seems.

Dream Maker

I once at the Peachtree before the race started got accused of borrowing someone else's number to get in a corral I qualified for fair and square.  I almost kicked him in the nuts.  I was just in too much shock that anyone would say anything to anyone even if they thought it.

The people who are walking and didn't qualify who try to sneak in do annoy me though- more, I don't get why they would want to do that?  Must be stressful being tab over.

In most races you don't qualify but give an estimated time I would care less about a misplaced bib- people try to get with their pacer.  I would care more at Boston.

It's usually fun to pick out the people at Boston who either bought or are just using someone else's bib prior to the race but it is a lot less fun to pick these folks out during the race when they ignorantly start running with much faster runners.

If you are way overweight and jogging 10 minute miles with a water belt I'm going to call bullshit on your 3XXX bib number.

DoppleBock

I had bib #2045 and was 235#

I had earned the bib, but was a fat hobby jogger at the time

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

I was passing large walkers Saturday at Country Music Marathon who had numbers indicating corrals 28 To 30

I ran from  stadium over to see  start early that morning and encountered several huge herds of walkers who had started maybe an hour early. I was kind of surprised this was allowed, but then it IS a Rock n Roll event....1 part race 9 parts parade.

L Train

I ran from  stadium over to see  start early 

what?

what?

It's article-free Wednesday!!

It's article-free Wednesday!!

Holy shit it's WEDNESDAY?? I'm supposed to be at work right now...

Runners run

yep. It's really hardly ever people who can actually run the required pace for the corral. Annoys me too!

I find it extremely annoying.

MTA:  mostly talking walkers, stroller pushers and people too slow for the corral.

Feeling the growl again

You end up passing and being passed by so many people at the very start anyway until people settle into their pace, what's one more to pass?

I am sure that is how some of them justify it to themselves.  However it is rarely just one and, in a crowded race, even one can cause a logjam (think that one car driving slow in the left-hand lane) or take someone down.

This is the perspective from someone typically starting in front, someone going 10min pace does not mix  well at all with a group approaching them from behind at sub-6 pace.  It may not be such a big deal mid-pack but up front people go right to their target pace at the gun and there is usually not all that much back-and-forth.  If you go out at 10min pace and the three rows behind you try to go right to sub-6 and assume (logically) that everyone around them is too, someone could get hurt.

If they jumped because they really can run that fast and just missed the seed deadline or something...well, nobody will notice them.  They should have made the deadline but they are also not being a PIA for anybody.  I've been injured so I am not running the 20,000+ runner HM I had planned to this weekend; I did not get into the corral where I belonged by my pace but I just planned to work my way up once the gun went off without running anyone over, I guess I never thought of trying to cut.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

come to Germany, we have the day off!

Holy shit it's WEDNESDAY?? I'm supposed to be at work right now...

Prince of Fatness

Not at it at all. 

I once at the Peachtree before the race started got accused of borrowing someone else's number to get in a corral I qualified for fair and square.  I almost kicked him in the nuts.  I was just in too much shock that anyone would say anything to anyone even if they thought it.

I was near the front of Corral A at the Peachtree. Judging from the number of people I passed at my not-so-quick 10K pace, the sub-seed corral was full of people who had no business being there. The guy must have been a complete idiot if he couldn't find somebody better to accuse of jumping.

Julia1971

Here's the background on why I asked...  I ran in a mega half marathon this past weekend.  They weren't allowing people to change corrals before race day.  (There were a couple posts on Facebook asking about moving up corrals and the organizers responded "No" each time).  We were given a color coded wrist band so it was obvious which corral each runner was assigned.  The faster corrals had one entrance and it was manned.  Inside the corrals, there were people holding ropes between the corrals and they were checking the wrist bands for people trying to duck under the ropes and directing them back to their proper corral.  Still, I saw one runner sneak her way through.  I think it annoyed me because it was one of those instances in life when rule breakers win and rule followers lose.  (I'm a rule follower).  BTW, I can't recall a smoother race start.  I really don't remember having to weave around anyone and I think that's because the corrals were so well marshalled.

There are obviously different kinds of corrals for different kinds of races. The corrals at Boston, where everyone has had to submit a verified qualifying time, will have a different etiquette than the corrals at the Pump n Munch Half Marion, where corrals are based on  a runner's own estimated finish time.

Runners run