Corral Jumpers (Read 454 times)

Kalsarikännit

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

L Train

Shocked

Dual credit has to go to obsessor and TanyaS.

Runners run

Feeling the growl again

Still, I saw one runner sneak her way through.  I think it annoyed me because it was one of those instances in life when rule breakers win and rule followers lose.  (I'm a rule follower). 

There will always be rule-breakers and while you are a better person for not joining their ranks, all letting yourself get worked up about it will accomplish is raising stress level and inhibiting your recovery.  Smile  I'm with you though.

Look at it this way, she didn't "win" anything.  You probably still beat her on the course.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

xhristopher

I had bib #2045 and was 235#

I had earned the bib, but was a fat hobby jogger at the time

Nice try but you aren't remotely close to what I'm talking about. Not even a little.  ... You jogged a 3:12 and requalified for the race.

Kalsarikännit

I only have said something once, when a very non-runnerly looking woman was close to the front of a local 5k. Now I don't mind it if she gets run over, but she was holding the hand of a young kid. She started to argue, but I pointed out that she was putting her kid in danger. Once again this proves my point that dumb people are super effective breeders.

I was a member of a mob that kicked two people out of the first corral at Boston once. True story.

Good on you, that's hard-earned sacred ground.

E.J.
                Greater Lowell Road Runners
                Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

I was passing large walkers Saturday at Country Music Marathon who had numbers indicating corrals 28 To 30ish.  I started in 13 with a 2:05 predicted half marathon.  It was pretty annoying and I can't imagine where they started if I was passing them 4 miles into  the race.  That night, coincidentally, a large walker told me she sneaked up into a low number corral because she was afraid of not making the cutoff time.

I was in corral 5 and they were actually looking at runner's bibs to let them into the corral openings.  First time I've seen anyone check, in a RnR event.  I don't think it helped much with the rain gear folks were wearing.  At any rate, about 200 yards after the start, some lady nearly caused a pile up when she decided she needed to stop in the middle of the road and bend over to tie her shoe.  Really?

Honestly, though it didn't bother me until later on...because in the moment I was distracted by the miserable conditions.

L Train

So your point is that you feel that homosexuals are smarter than heterosexuals?

mta: oops, that's for Wrigs, not MrRipper.

Awkward.

Runners run

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

There will always be rule-breakers and while you are a better person for not joining their ranks, all letting yourself get worked up about it will accomplish is raising stress level and inhibiting your recovery.  Smile  I'm with you though.

Look at it this way, she didn't "win" anything.  You probably still beat her on the course.

Yeah. Look at how many people think nothing of routinely breaking rules against headphones, which, like jumping corrals, endangers everyone around them. At least the kids cheating by cutting the course aren't actually endangering their fellow runners very much -- whereas there appear, in my experience, to be many, many people happy to routinely cheat headphone rules. Presumably they have simply evaluated the tradeoff of "small increase in danger to everyone around me" + "cheating" versus "enjoyment for me", and decided the latter wins.

Much like people who speed up above the speed limit and weave through traffic have made the same decision -- presumably they've decided that "convenience for me" is worth "breaking law" + "slight increase in danger to everyone around me".

And surely many of us have fallen into this category? We've decided something important to us, that we want to get done, is important enough to justify endangering other people in this fashion. It might be "picking up my kids on time", or any number of things, that seem much more important to us than some small danger to many strangers.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Kalsarikännit

Based on the assumption that you are hetero (seeing as someone took pity on you, married you, and gave you children):

Yes.

Julia1971

Yeah. There's no point in getting in an argument over it... It wasn't my best race but I got to high-five Joanne and Shalane!  (I've been working that into every conversation I've had since Sunday. LOL!) So, I'm feeling inspired to go for some huge PRS this fall. Smile

FSBD

You just reiterated the point I was trying to make that you stomped on on the previous page.  Maybe I wasn't clear but this was pretty much where I was going with my comment.

We are the music makers,

And we are the dreamers of dreams,

Wandering by lone sea-breakers,

And sitting by desolate streams; 

World-losers and world-forsakers,

On whom the pale moon gleams:

Yet we are the movers and shakers

Of the world for ever, it seems.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Think of the first half as the corral-placement time trial.  By mid-race, everybody's pretty much where they belong. Wink