Corral Jumpers (Read 454 times)

Prince of Fatness

Based on the assumption that you are hetero (seeing as someone took pity on you, married you, and gave you children):

Yes.

L-Train I think that WG just insulted you.  I am a stupid breeder myself so I cannot be sure.

Not at it at all. 

A Saucy Wench

Based on the assumption that you are hetero (seeing as someone took pity on you, married you, and gave you children):

Yes.

I spit coffee..

I honestly dont have a problem with the situation you described Julia.  I'm on the race officials for not letting people switch at the expo (Boston doesnt count in this paragraph - AT ALL).   It would be nice if everyone would sort themselves appropriately but they dont.  Corrals try to enforce it and leave out the person who resgistered 8 months ago and had a training breakthrough.   I would have corral jumped the race I was going for BQ had I been in a race with corrals.  When I registered for it I had done so with a friend for her first marathon and at the time of registration I had NO reason to believe I was anywhere near BQ.  It was a good year for me.  I would not have given up my shot for an extra 30 seconds of bob and weave just to follow the rules.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Speaking of dumb people, I bet a lot of the corral jumpers don't even "get" chip timing.

#artbydmcbride

At the Hollywood Half, my friend and I both gave the same estimated time at sign up...they put her in corral 3 and me in corral 9!  Black eye

I went ahead and sneaked into corral 5.  Meh, had a bad race anyway....the corral assigners must have been psychic   Blush

Runners run

Dreamn

Yeah. There's no point in getting in an argument over it... It wasn't my best race but I got to high-five Joanne and Shalane!  (I've been working that into every conversation I've had since Sunday. LOL!) So, I'm feeling inspired to go for some huge PRS this fall. Smile

Me too!  I high-fived them and I ran alongside them for 2 seconds.  It was awesome! Big grin

Oh roo roooo!

Speaking of dumb people, I bet a lot of the corral jumpers don't even "get" chip timing.

From my rather extensive experience as a volunteer at events of various distances, a frighteningly large percentage of the people entering races AT ALL don't "get" chip timing....

Feeling the growl again

You just reiterated the point I was trying to make that you stomped on on the previous page.  Maybe I wasn't clear but this was pretty much where I was going with my comment.

Disagreeing with the sentiment is not "stomping on" you or your post.  That's a bit overly dramatic.

I don't look at it as "just one more person to pass, no big deal", I just meant there is no use in stewing about it and letting one's self get worked up.  If your post was meant to be how you get yourself to that place in your mind, do what works for you.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Julia1971

You didn't jump into the fushia corral did you?! This thread is about you, isn't it? LOL! I was running beside them for about a half mile. I pretended the crowds were clapping for me. Smile

Me too!  I high-fived them and I ran alongside them for 2 seconds.  It was awesome! Big grin

DoppleBock

Often at smaller local 5ks - When I see people I think might be slow pushing ahead of me I will ask what they expect their finish time to be.  Often 30+ minutes, but "It will be their only chance to lead the race"

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Dreamn

You didn't jump into the fushia corral did you?! This thread is about you, isn't it? LOL! I was running beside them for about a half mile. I pretended the crowds were clapping for me. Smile

LOL!  Well damn, you're awesome Big grin.  And thankfully no, LOL!  I stayed in the front of the 7:30 corral but somehow when they dropped the tape, I was running right there with them.  It was a surprisingly fun race Smile.

Often at smaller local 5ks - When I see people I think might be slow pushing ahead of me I will ask what they expect their finish time to be.  Often 30+ minutes, but "It will be their only chance to lead the race"

Okay, now slight puffs of steam are beginning to come out of my ears.

Julia1971

I agree with you that in an ideal world, the race would allow you to change corrals. But given that they weren't, I think it's kinda selfish to do it anyway. Kinda like what AP is saying above. We figure what we want is more important than some stupid rule. But if everyone takes that position, the whole system breaks down. I get what you're saying though and think others have also made good points for doing it. I am impressed that the woman got through both checkpoints.

I spit coffee..

I honestly dont have a problem with the situation you described Julia.  I'm on the race officials for not letting people switch at the expo (Boston doesnt count in this paragraph - AT ALL).   It would be nice if everyone would sort themselves appropriately but they dont.  Corrals try to enforce it and leave out the person who resgistered 8 months ago and had a training breakthrough.   I would have corral jumped the race I was going for BQ had I been in a race with corrals.  When I registered for it I had done so with a friend for her first marathon and at the time of registration I had NO reason to believe I was anywhere near BQ.  It was a good year for me.  I would not have given up my shot for an extra 30 seconds of bob and weave just to follow the rules.

northernman

Fight The Future

This reminds me of a tongue-in-cheek advice to first time marathoners list I saw once. "Line up at the front, and when they shoot the gun, run as fast as you can and shout "I'm winning!":"

Actually, though I do find it annoying when people are at the wrong place in a race. It seems like the smaller races have much more polite people that find their appropriate starting spot more easily than in big races (I like "pump and munch" race). I do remember where I was inadvertently guilty at one of the large marathons. I got stuck in the porta potty line for much longer than I predicted (must have been a bunch of #2's ready to go or something), and finally got out just as they were starting the race. I found my self at the back of about 10,000 people, and was determined to get to my pace, so was dodging left and right for the first two miles. Totally stupid, I think my mileage for the race was over 27, and I was exhausted by mile 3. Never doing that again.

Okay, now slight puffs of steam are beginning to come out of my ears.

Don't sweat who/what toes the line at a local 5K. You'll give yourself an ulcer.

snapa55

I jumped the corral at my first marathon.  I put down a 4:00 finish time, but ended up running 3:39.  I wanted to run with 3:40 pacer, thus the corral jump.

5K: 18:43 (12/13) 10K: 42:50 (12/12) HM: 1:30:10 (3/14) M: 3:34:46 (5/14)