Does Jet Lag Mess With Your Electrolytes? (Read 648 times)

BeeRunB

I'm at the tail end of a 13 time zone Asia to East Coast USA jet lag (hopefully). My paces are real slow (in a particular HR zone), and feel a bit off, like I'm dehydrated. I was thinking my electrolytes might be screwed up. Does anyone know anything about this, if jet lag can affect the body in this way? --Jimmy

Imminent Catastrophe

A long-haul flight can certainly cause you to be dehydrated. It's probably that, plus fatigue. Get some rest, rehydrate (with electrolytes), and you should be fine in a day or two. Any time you take a very long flight, try to get plenty of fluids, use saline nasal spray regularly, and earplugs (to help you sleep).

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

They say it takes 1 day per time zone crossed to fully recover from jet lag. Be patient. A lot of what you're experiencing is still the brain trying to reset day/night.
        Have you got a flag?
        BeeRunB

Thanks to both of you, Perfesser and Fbgrrl. That would be 13 days. I'm on day 10. Weird stuff this jetlag. Although the dreams have had an interesting quality. I started on some electrolyte replacement, as I'm definitely dehydrated from not only the plane trip, but the jetlag as well, and this forced air gas heat that I'm a newbie to. Waking up feelng like a dried up mummy in the morning. Thanks again for your time and energy. --Jimmy

Imminent Catastrophe

I think the "one day for each time zone" rule-of-thumb" is a worst-case scenario, and in most cases is excessive. By day 10 you should be well over the jet lag, and your symptoms are most likely due to dehydration or other causes. Your comment on dreams made me wonder...were you taking melatonin? You didn't mention that but melatonin can certainly cause vivid dreams and other side effects. It has not been helpful, in my experience. It could also explain your symptoms so long after your flight. I have to add, this is just a "gut feeling" based on experience. I'm not a doctor, and didn't even stay at a Holiday Express last night.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

At altitude, if you don't have to pee every hour, you're not drinking enough. If you do hydrate properly, you're going to lose some electrolytes. It's not like running a half, but it will take its toll. Also, you have to get up and move around on those ULH (Ultra Long Haul) flights. Even from JFK to Europe, sitting for that long can cause problems. I've flown with guys who would be in the pilot seat one hour prior to departure, fly 7:30 and not get up ONE TIME! No wonder they looked like they were 85 when they were in their 50's. (Of course a lifetime of heavy drinking, smoking and skirt-chasing didn't help... Wink ) The amount of long haul flying a lot of people do these days really puts a strain on the body. Drink up (water, not soda or booze) and stand up! TC

"I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead..." J. Buffett There are two rules in life: 1.) Don't sweat the small stuff 2.) It's ALL small stuff