Do you carry pepper spray? (Read 815 times)

A recent creepy experience of the human kind, has left me re-thinking this decision. I run alone, but keep to mostly open areas. I usually carry my phone, and stay pretty alert to my surroundings. I always let someone know when I'm going running, which route, and the "longest" I'm likely to be. I've never carried pepper spray, probably would spray myself if I ever had to use it! I'm wondering how many people carry it or something similar. Do you think it really makes you safer? Have you ever had an experience that made you glad you had it with you? This is the first year that I have done most of my running outside, and I'm curious as to what other people do.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
    Thyroid Support Group

The voice of mile 18

I carry my cell phone and that's about it. if you don't know how to use the pepper spray you can have it backfire against you. also it's illegal in some states to use it check it out before buying. have you thought about running w/ a dog or training partner - preferrably someone slower than you in case you 2 are chased Smile

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

Scout7

Generally, I've always been of the mindset that any sort of weapon in an untrained hand is more dangerous to all involved. Even with a non-lethal alternative, you need 2 things: the will to use it, and the ability. If you are going to do so, make sure that you know how to work the device to the point where it takes almost no thought, and you have the ability to discern WHEN to use it. Best defense is to be alert, and present a tough front. Most criminals when interviewed about how the select their targets respond that the victim looked easy. Head down, not very confident. This general theme applied to serial rapists and common muggers alike.
          have you thought about running w/ a dog or training partner - preferrably someone slower than you in case you 2 are chased Smile
          Sounds like the old bear joke - guy tells his partner "I don't have to be able to out run the bear...." Big grin

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
          Thyroid Support Group

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Generally, I've always been of the mindset that any sort of weapon in an untrained hand is more dangerous to all involved. Even with a non-lethal alternative, you need 2 things: the will to use it, and the ability. If you are going to do so, make sure that you know how to work the device to the point where it takes almost no thought, and you have the ability to discern WHEN to use it.
            I have a canister, but I rarely take it, in large part because of what you point out. I'm afraid it could be used against me. Mostly I stay on fairly well-traveled areas and keep my iPod volume low enough to be able to hear noises around me. I also use headphones that are designed for this purpose, rather than noise-cancelling ones. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Generally, I've always been of the mindset that any sort of weapon in an untrained hand is more dangerous to all involved. Even with a non-lethal alternative, you need 2 things: the will to use it, and the ability. If you are going to do so, make sure that you know how to work the device to the point where it takes almost no thought, and you have the ability to discern WHEN to use it. Best defense is to be alert, and present a tough front. Most criminals when interviewed about how the select their targets respond that the victim looked easy. Head down, not very confident. This general theme applied to serial rapists and common muggers alike.
              This sounds like really good advice. I know I make a point of not avoiding eye contact, even if it sometimes makes me uncomfortable. I'm considering taking a self-defense course, it's just not something I've ever really thought about before. It makes sense that you have to be almost second nature with any skills you do acquire in order for them to be any good to you when you really need it.

Go With The Flow
              Thyroid Support Group

My advice if you are attacked... 1. scream 2. kick and keep kicking... aim for the crotch and neck... keep kicking... yes in some states you might end up getting charged with assault... but don't think about that... keep kicking... 3. focus your hands on the face... especially the eyes... you have fingernails?... use them 4. Try to out run them 5. Do not give up hope

Vim

Eryn

90% of the time, I either have my gi-normous 100lb dog with me or carry pepper spray if the run is too long/hot for the dog. I've been doing this consistently for over two years, and there have only been two times when I've wanted to use it-- once against a dog that was being territorial, once against a dumba** who yelled something inappropriate then started to chase me. The dog time, I had it out and ready to use but ended up not having to, the dumba** time I wished I'd had it with but didn't. God, it would have been satisfying to spray that punk. Evil grin So, two years and I've never used it. All the same, it was $15 and I definitely feel better knowing that if someone wants to mess with me, they will see me + pepper spray and might think twice. Okay, the real reason I have pepper spray is I was tired of my dad asking if I had any. Roll eyes

Some runners drag a tire. I drag a Great Pyrenees.

Good question. No, I don't carry one, but I've often thought about it. (my dad thinks I should carry a gun when I run. Bad idea.) I run in well populated areas, but this is Baltimore, and unless you run around the same block several times, you're bound to run in a shady area. I generally look straight ahead, don't talk to people, don't answer when they talk to me, and always have ID on me (a la Road Id). I also run when it's light out -- never at dawn or dusk.
                    2009: BQ?
                      What's wrong with carrying a gun?

Vim

2. kick and keep kicking aim for the crotch and neck... keep kicking... yes in some states you might end up getting charged with assault... but don't think about that... keep kicking
                        It's VERY unlikely you'll get charged with assault if you are using self-defense. You can use any self defense as long as it is relatively proportional to the harm you are experiencing. Also, 250 pound man versus 130 pound woman --- you'll get the benefit there. Great advice --- croch, neck -- also EYES.

Now that was a bath...

I have to say that I wouldn't carry something like that, even if it were legal here. I too am the sort where my indecisive use of it, might lead to me getting disarmed and sprayed. I've only once had an issue whilst running when I was followed by a car for a couple of loops around a small block. In the end I did the 'V' sign and stuck to the main road and they disappeared. I always have a tactic at the back of my mind though. I am 5ft 10 and confident so if someone tried to grab me or attack me I would just scream. 'Police - put your hands behind your back and get on the floor' aggressively. It might just work! Hope that the reason you are asking this isn't too scary! We women have to be careful, that's for sure. Claire xxx
                        • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
                        • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
                            What's wrong with carrying a gun?
                            1. I don't know how to use one. 2. I'd get kicked out of the left wing nutjobs group Wink 3. I don't want someone using it against me 4. I don't even like carrying water, let alone a gun. Where would I stick it? In my bra? Tongue I think that running during the day, in well populated areas, staying alert, carrying ID, and letting my husband know where I'm going and when I expect to be back is good enough for me.
                            jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

2. I'd get kicked out of the left wing nutjobs group Wink
                              Is there a group further out there than the Left Wingnuts that I don't know about? Wink Biggest concern I would have about carrying a firearm would to have it be used against me. Also, how to carry safely yet access quickly when needed. But the biggest danger I'll face is Fred the Hog, and I just won't be able to pack enough heat to take him out. Clowning around

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

mikeymike

If I ran with any weapons I'd probably wind up assaulting one of the dirtbag high school kids who like to heckle runners, and that wouldn't be good for anyone.

Runners run