1.5 mile run (Read 204 times)

callihan151

So i have to run 1.5 miles in 11:58 or less. I tested myself yesterday and i ran it at a time of 15:09. I have multiple questions. So first off what are some good training exercises to help me achieve this goal? and my other question do you feel with doing these exercises will i be able to achieve this goal within 5 months? Thanks for taking the time to read this and thank you for all the help your going to give me.

runmichigan

We cannot answer this question without knowing more about you.  What is your running background?  How often do you run now, how far, and at what pace?  How many times can you run a week and for how long?  A couch to 5k program may be appropriate if you have little running background.  If you have more running background, adding some type of interval work may be appropriate.  Simply put, running is the "exercise" you need to be doing, but what type of running depends on your starting point.

npaden

I'm going to assume that you are a somewhat out of shape younger male who is trying to qualify for police academy or military service of some kind.

You need to cut your time from 10:00 pace to 7:59 pace over 5 months.

I would think you need to figure out a way to get in as much running between now and then as possible.

Maybe start out with 3 runs a week and work your way up to 5 days a week.

The first 3 months or so just focus on running easy and not getting injured.

After that depending on where you are you can work on adding in some intervals and speed work if you need it.

Depending on your age and talent you might be able to make it just getting in shape and getting some miles logged.

Good luck.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

I'm going to assume that you are a somewhat out of shape younger male who is trying to qualify for police academy or military service of some kind.

I'm guessing, but this sounds right to me.  The best training exercise for running is running.  Your current race pace is 10:06 minutes per mile.  A good training pace at this time is about 12 minutes per mile.  I recommend running 5 to 7 days per week at that pace.  Start with whatever distance is fairly easy and work up to about 3 miles.  Then test yourself with a timed 1.5 mile race run once per month and readjust your training pace as appropriate.

You are giving yourself plenty of time, so should have no trouble meeting your goal.

Running is counterintuitive.  Running slow really is the best way to race fast.

callihan151

For about the past month I have been running 1 mile in 10:20-10:40 time range. I know running is the only way to get my times down but I was wondering if interval training would help at this point. And yes its for the police academy.

an amazing likeness

...I know running is the only way to get my times down but I was wondering if interval training would help at this point. And yes its for the police academy.

The absolute, most certain approach that will give results is to run more. To run more, you need to run easy for most of your miles. Do that and you'll see results.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Feeling the growl again

The absolute, most certain approach that will give results is to run more. To run more, you need to run easy for most of your miles. Do that and you'll see results.

This.  You need to run more per week.  Your gains by running multiple time trials, running all out for 1 mile each time, or trying intervals are limited without first just getting in a base of easy running.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

dennrunner

But...after running more easy mileage... if you're still not quite at the pace you need at one month out from the test, then interval stuff the last few weeks should get you under the pace you need.  But like the others said, you need some base first.

The good news is you have plenty of time. If you spend 3 months building a base of easy mileage, and then start to introduce some intervals in the last 6-8 weeks, you'll probably see amazing results.

Runners run

callihan151

Thanks guys. I will not fail at this. This is something I want very bad.

Feeling the growl again

Thanks guys. I will not fail at this. This is something I want very bad.

Then go get it, and good luck.  I am glad you came when you had time to make the right changes -- I've seen many of the "I need to run X in 2 weeks to save my job" threads over the years.

Please let us know how it went for you.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

npaden

One thing that I think no one has really clarified is that you need to run farther than 1.5 miles.

Work your easy runs up to at least 3 miles, farther if you can.  Working up to a one hour long run on the weekend would be good.

It seems counter-intuitive, but you will be doing a lot more good for your body running slower and longer than shorter and faster.

Those easy runs will actually result if real physical changes in your body that will allow the 1.5 miles you run to meet your goal seem much easier and shorter.

Good luck.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)