I was amazed... (Read 833 times)

Joggaholic

I have never been to or even watched a marathon before, so maybe I am easily impressed. Yesterday on my run I ran across a marathon race (they were running along/sharing an open public trail), and I saw a very young girl running in it with a bib number. She looked like an 8 years old to me because she's so short and tiny. I was so impressed that I decided to look up the race result today. She's in the 10-14 age bracket and she finished in 4:01. Maybe this is not unusual in the world of running (I claim ignorance) but I'm just in awe...

No.  That is definitely pretty cool.  Good for her!!!

2014 Goals

Weight - 200 lbs (stuck around 211)

2000 miles (1700 as of September 10)

Stay healthy for Boston 2015

Marathon - 3:05 (St. George in October)

5k - 19:55 (19:43 July 4, 2014)

I'm surprised. Many marathons have a minimal age of 18 for entry.  

Marathon Maniac #3309

(cough cough) I ran a 4:03 a few weeks ago)  WOW, that is incredible !

I was sick tho - LOL

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

MrH

I remember seeing Aurora Scott at the Richmond Marathon 1999.

Female 19-Under

Aurora Scott

Portsmouth

Va

3:33:45

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

Just checked our most recent local marathon.  The youngest was a 14 year old male, who did it in 3:48.

Well at least someone here is making relevance to the subject.

A Saucy Wench

I'm surprised. Many marathons have a minimal age of 18 for entry.  

I've seen 16 and 13 as minimum ages, I've also seen under 16 needing medical release form. 

There was a 9 year old in my half last year who finished right around 1:50.  He was on pace for <1:45 but struggled the last 1.5

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7