Anybody know a good website... (Read 1601 times)

I ran a mile this morning as fast as I could. Are there calculators out there that you can take that info and find out what kind of 5k, 10k, etc times you could expect? Does that even make sense? Confused Thanks!
    Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

Hi Scar, What you're looking for is a time predictor. There are many different variations out there, each with a slightly different fudge factor. One of the more popular ones can be located at McMillan's Running. So how fast did you do your mile? I never tried it myself because I don't like the distances greater than 600 meters and less than 5 miles. They hurt too much... Embarrassed
        That site is awesome! Thanks for the info. By the way, I ran 7:07 for the mile. I just wanted to see how fast I could do it. Plus, I thought I had run accros another predictor somewhere that I could use my 1 mi time for possible 5 and 10k goals. I love how it even breaks it down into different workouts! I know what I'll be doing tomorrow instead of working! Thanks for the info!
        bas

Hi Mile Collector, Thanks for the excellent link! bas

52° 21' North, 4° 52' East

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I find McMillan to be a bit optomistic. That is, if you plug in a HM time, it predicts a marathon time that is probably 5-15 minutes faster that you will actually run. That is, unless you are in tip top shape.
              I find McMillan to be a bit optomistic. That is, if you plug in a HM time, it predicts a marathon time that is probably 5-15 minutes faster that you will actually run. That is, unless you are in tip top shape.
              I also found this to be true, going from a half marathon time to a full marathon. Maybe it is accurate if you regularly run the distance your trying to predict (oxymoron?? Roll eyes???)
              Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
                I find McMillan to be a bit optomistic. That is, unless you are in tip top shape.
                Isn't that what he is trying to say here: (Do keep in mind that a 5K runner is unlikely to run the equivalent time in the marathon off of 5K training. The runner would obviously need to train for the marathon to accomplish this equivalent time.) Having said that, I haven't reached my predicted marathon time yet. But I have really good excuses! Wink
                  Having said that, I haven't reached my predicted marathon time yet. But I have really good excuses! Wink
                  Me too...most notably, the excuse that I haven't run a marathon. Big grin
                    I ran a mile this morning as fast as I could. Are there calculators out there that you can take that info and find out what kind of 5k, 10k, etc times you could expect? Does that even make sense? Confused Thanks!
                    I think Jeff Galloway has some predictors like that. check out www.jeffgalloway.com I think he calls it the miracle mile ... I could be wrong but I believe it is a predictor method based upon how fast you run a mile

The steady plodding of the diligent leads surely to advantage(victory), But everyone who is hasty comes surely to poverty.

I like McMillan's - I based my training on mile time trials and McMillan predicted my half marathon time within 7 seconds. Accurate enough for a slow guy like me.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Erunama

Neat! I went back through my old workouts and put in my fastest mile time. It's half-marathon prediction was only 6 seconds faster than what I actually ran! Now, let's see if I can hit that marathon prediction. It's going to be a tough one to hit.
                          Oddly, using my HM times, I slightly over-perform in the marathon and slightly under-perform in shorter races. I guess my endurance is good, but my speed is lacking.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

Wingz

Professional Noob

Guys, don't forget the resources you have right here on RA! If you haven't already, check out the calculators under the tools tab. There's a race time precdiction calculator at http://www.runningahead.com/tools/calculators/race, as well as some other calculators!

Roads were made for journeys...

Another site that I have looked at from time to time is http://www.runbayou.com. IF you look on the lefthand side, you can see "VDOT Calculator" Click here and it will bring up a page that will give you predictive times for various races and also gives you an idea of some running paces based on your current result. Enjoy Big grin
                              "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty, and well preserved body, but rather, to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: "WOW... WHAT A RIDE!!!" Muskingum College XC