Dew point / humidity (Read 444 times)

Michael Rohlf

I'd like a box when dew point can be entered, right by the temperature box. Or maybe two more boxes: one for dew point and one for humidity. In the summer I always note this in my comments, but it'd be nice to have that information available for charts.

Docket_Rocket

This is a good idea.  I don't look at humidity because I think dewpoint is the best measure of both.  Having it more accessible would be great.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

keeponrunning

Although I believe this might already be on Eric's 'to-do' list, I'll add my +1 to this!!  In southern Ontario, we have high humidex values in the summer (tomorrow is 32 with a feels-like of 40) and in the winter very low windchill ones.  If anyone thinks windchill doesn't make a difference, they obviously do not live near lakes!!!

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

Michael Rohlf

Good point about wind chill. Perhaps it might be easiest to add a single box next to temperature with some way to indicate whether the figure entered refers to dew point or wind chill.

RunninGeek

I would love having a dew point box. I add that to the notes on all my runs.

npaden

Sometimes Dew Point means something to me and sometimes it doesn't.

Right now it is 90 degrees out with 20% humidity.  That's a dew point of 45.

Somehow that feels a little different than 60 degrees and 50% humidity.  That's also a dew point of 45.

I've actually seen it when the humidity dips below 10% where it's 90+ outside and the dew point is in the 30's.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

Why is it sideways?

FYI:

(Yesterday at the time of my tempo it was 90 degrees with a dewpoint of 70. It was brutal. By contrast, the week before was 85 degrees with a dewpoint of only 60, and I felt great.)

dennrunner

Sometimes Dew Point means something to me and sometimes it doesn't.

Right now it is 90 degrees out with 20% humidity.  That's a dew point of 45.

Somehow that feels a little different than 60 degrees and 50% humidity.  That's also a dew point of 45.

I've actually seen it when the humidity dips below 10% where it's 90+ outside and the dew point is in the 30's.

npaden, dew point is not going to come into play much where you live. I spent a good portion of my life in Lubbock. As you know it gets hot there. I always made it a point to go out on the first 110° day to run. It was hot for sure, but it wasn't  miserable feeling. Now I live in the midwest and run in mid-day and afternoon temperatures of 88° to sometimes 100° with dew points 68-76°. I assure you I'd rather be running in Lubbock. Enjoy the dry heat.

But like you, dew points feel different to me depending on the actual temperature/humidity combination. High dew points in the morning are not all that bad feeling. High dew points in the afternoon feel miserable, at least to me.

npaden

In extreme cases the dew point is not a good indicator.

Yesterday the temperature topped out at 107 here in Lubbock.  At 5 pm it was sunny and 106 with 8% humidity.  The dew point was 32.  The heat index was 100.

Later that evening the temperature dropped to 92 and the humidity climbed to 21%.  That caused the dew point to climb to 45.  The heat index was 88.  That evening the dew point was 13 degrees higher but the heat index was 12 degrees lower.  I would much rather have run outside later that evening even though the dew point was much higher.

I think the heat index is a better indicator of comfort level.  I think that's why they came up with it.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

I don't have much to offer besides saying hi. I grew up in Lubbock and now live in south texas (corpus christi area) running in Lubbock is much more enjoyable with the lack of humidity.

Find some shade in that dry heat and it isn't bad. there is no hiding from this soupy south texas humid BS.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Docket_Rocket

I think dewpoint is a better indicator of discomfort for runners.  Our heat index never goes above 105F yet our dewpoint does not go below 70DP most of the year and my runs are usually very uncomfortable, even when the heat index is in the mid 80s.  I prefer to run in the late afternoons when the heat index is 97F than in the mornings when it's 84F but the dewpoint is close to 80.  My lungs run better in 97F with a lower DP.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Or our workout entry could have a checkbox for Humid, meaning that we were feeling the humidity on this run.

npaden

Or our workout entry could have a checkbox for Humid, meaning that we were feeling the humidity on this run.

Hey wait, we already have that! Wink

My leg won't stop mooing.

i think i've got a calf injury.

Here's a cool metric I came up with a while back. I call it the Misery Index: Temp + Dew Point = Misery Index.

You will start to feel affects above 130. 140-149 and you finish your run like you swam in a pool. 150-159. It will feel like death is running behind you,  blowing his stank humid breath on you. 160+.... don't even bother...

So...106 + 32 = 138 and 92 + 45 = 137. Basically equal. But one does not have the solar radiation, while the other does. That is why the nighttime run feels better than the midday run....