Weather Limitations on Running Outside (Read 1121 times)

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

What are your limits for what you won't run in? For example, you'll run in any kind of rain, no matter how hard except if there is lightning. Or you will run in any cold but nothing below a certain temp. Snow? Humidity? What are your limits?

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I will run in most anything. When there is a big electric storm and I can wait, often I will, but that is about the only thing that has held me back. Of course, it does not get THAT cold in Nashville...

Feeling the growl again

I'll run in about anything, but getting old sucks. I only got in 2.5 miles today out of 10 planned as I just about fell over in 90 degree heat. It used to be uncomfortable but I was able to get it done...now I can't....

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

JakeKnight

I will run in most anything.
          Except when its early. Or dark. Or your wife tells you not to.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
          -----------------------------

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Except when its early. Or dark. Or your wife tells you not to.
            Or all of the above. MTA: at least I have run a few times in the past week...
            xor

I don't run in lightning, on ice, or near the ice cream man. I stop him when he's passing by.

A Saucy Wench

Run in pretty much anything. Dont run in lightning if I can avoid it but I live in Oregon, lightning is rare. I would run in yaktrax if it iced here often enough to justify the purchase, which it did this past year, so I will buy some this year and never have glare ice again. I usually wont run over about 95 degrees because I live in Oregon and dont have to, but I will strive to hit the hottest time of the day this month and next to get some acclimation. Its like the ice and lightning - just doesnt happen that often. Only really hot run I do is HTC because it just is always hot for that race. When I lived in Texas I would say I wouldnt run in hail because in Texas that shit will knock you out, but again in Oregon what they call hail is laughable. God this state is so fucking benign. Big grin And why I will never move.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

JimR

Lightning is about it. I do have to muster up a little extra sumpin to get myself out there when it's a very cold rain or a windy -20C or so. Fortunately, we never saw it that cold last winter.
                    I usually cut runs shorter colder than -20C if the next days forecast is promising for getting my work in, but if we get a prolonged stretch I try to get out there. Snow is great, very relaxing. I love the rain, have no fear of lightning unless I'm in a really stupid location like the middle of a causeway, but I CAN'T take the heat. I'm getting better now that I've been in Ontario and Quebec for consecutive summers, but I'm an East Coast boy, and we just don't get that kind of heat much. Not where I'm from (Saint John, New Brunswick) anyway. If it's above 30C, I have a lot of trouble, and at 35 I pretty much don't run. Freezing rain is pretty much the only thing I will avoid, just because of the obvious danger.

The young Mama Bear!

Anything but lightning. I've come to enjoy the rain as I've progressed in C25K, and sometimes during hot days I'd pray for it. Tongue
                      Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
                      Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.
                      protoplasm72

I probably would think twice about going out in a hurricane but fortunately I live in Chicago so that's not an issue. Otherwise I've been running 3 years 5-6 times a week and never skipped a run due to weather. High winds plus hail was my least favorite cause it hurts and you can't dress for it. It's like someone throwing ice cubes in your face.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

TJoseph

I draw the line at triple digit heat. I just don't enjoy it. I will run on the dreadmill if it is that hot. I used to live in Sacaramento and it came up a lot in the summer, but I have lived in the Southern California mountains for the last nine years and it is not a problem here. I enjoy running in rain and I don't mind wind, but I hate it if it is both windy and raining. Again, that was more of a problem in Sacramento than where I currently live. We get snow in the winter where I live now. We can get one or two feet in one storm. I run inside when the weather is like that. I get a lot of variety when I travel for work. Tokyo in the summer suXX. Tom
                            Lightning, ice... that'll about do it.

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright

I hate to run in the rain (water beads up on my glasses and I cant see) so on a rain day, Ill wait for it to stop, or head for thread mill.....other then that not much will stop me.....If the roads are really icy - again, ill go to the Y and run on treadmills......as far at temperature is concerned, my cut off is usually 10 degrees, but I have run on colderdays.......and its FUN to go for a run while its snowing...

Champions are made when no one is watching

Old, Slow, Happy

I pretty much run in anything. Here in Northwest Ohio we get almost everything. I run 6 days per week and have not missed due to weather. If it's real cold and windy, I'll run with my back to the wind and ask (beg) my wife to pick me up. So far, she has. Smile