2012 Sub-3:00 Marathon Goal Thread (Read 6881 times)

2012 Hopefuls for sub 3:00 marathons (unless noted, goal is simply Sub-3:00):

dpschumacher -- 22JAN2012 -- IceBreaker Indoor (Milwaukee WI) – Goal = 2:50

dpschumacher -- 16JUN2012 -- Grandmas(Duluth MN) – Goal = 2:45

dpschumacher -- 07OCT2012 -- Twin Cities (Minneapolis/ St Paul MN) – Goal = 2:40

That is an awesome plan!   Good luck dpschumacher!

BTW, I was also considering IceBreaker if Disney turns out to be in the 80s on race day.  Just not sure I can handle running loops for close to 3 hours. 

dpschumacher

5 months til Masters

Someone has their whole year planned out

Yeah...I decided it was time for me to get myself together.  I am part of a running club of guys i went to college with so it is time for me to start working toward sub 2:30.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

bhearn

Go ahead and add me for Boston as well,  < 2:55. Goal to be adjusted after Houston.

joesuperdad

I'm new here... But my goal is sub-3. Not sure it'll happen in 2012, but I'm most likely doing Cleveland in May... Anyone have experience there? Supposed to be a quick course.
          DoppleBock

Nice

Something I will not see - Not in my genetics

Sub 2:40 is genetically possible if age does not get me 1st ... Tick-Tock - Oh, to be 35 again.

Yeah...I decided it was time for me to get myself together.  I am part of a running club of guys i went to college with so it is time for me to start working toward sub 2:30.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

kcam

I hope I will be healthy next year and able to run.  My main goal.  If that happens then since I am getting older I won't have to break three to get my other goal:  Being an elite at the Twin Cities marathon.  I will only need to run sub 3:05 for that although I will hope to get a second sub three sometime before I get too old.  Which race will be my goal race will be determined after a couple months of full training.

Spinach!  Healthy and able to run should be goal #1 but lay off the 'too old' talk - cuz you're not!  Try to settle into some easy, smart training.  Lots of guys in their 50's run sub-3; three from my small club did last year with the oldest one being 56.  I've noticed that these guys just run solid consistent mileage and easier than you'd think threshold work.  Leave the superhero workouts to the young whippersnappers.  Here's wishing you the best of luck in your training in 2012.

spinach

Spinach!  Healthy and able to run should be goal #1 but lay off the 'too old' talk - cuz you're not!  Try to settle into some easy, smart training.  Lots of guys in their 50's run sub-3; three from my small club did last year with the oldest one being 56.  I've noticed that these guys just run solid consistent mileage and easier than you'd think threshold work.  Leave the superhero workouts to the young whippersnappers.  Here's wishing you the best of luck in your training in 2012.

Thanks, I still think I have at least one more sub three in my legs. But it better show up pretty soon.  The problem is that this year has been quite a disappointment. Except for a good start where I finished second in a marathon back in January,  this year has been pretty much a disaster, PWs in both a half and marathon (admittedly I should not have run either of them because of the hamstring injury).  I plan to gradually up my training starting next month and maybe I will be able to give three hours a shot at Boston or at Lake Wobegon in the spring.  Maybe I should go back to San Francisco next summer where I got my first sub three.

bhearn

Oh, but Boston is much faster than San Francisco.

Boston, sub-3:00.

Feeling the growl again

No clear goals yet....definitely a sub-2:50 attempt during a 50-miler.  I would like to think sub-2:28 in the spring but I will not make that official until I prove I am doing the training to back up my aspirations.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

No clear goals yet....definitely a sub-2:50 attempt during a 50-miler.  I would like to think sub-2:28 in the spring but I will not make that official until I prove I am doing the training to back up my aspirations.

What kind of mileage do you plan on running for a 50 miler at a 6:29 pace? I would think you need to be in closer to 2:20 shape to pull of that kind of time in a 50 unless you are running huge mileage.

Feeling the growl again

What kind of mileage do you plan on running for a 50 miler at a 6:29 pace? I would think you need to be in closer to 2:20 shape to pull of that kind of time in a 50 unless you are running huge mileage.

On average probably 80ish only....but doing the homework on the long runs and ultra specific workouts.  I would hope to be in 2:30ish shape.

The course I have in mind is pancake flat so it's not comparable to most 50-milers.  The winner this year ran close to that split, and is nowhere near a 2:20 marathoner but good at ultras.  A 2:17 marathoner ran close to that time on a very brutal course recently.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

DanMoriarity

You can put me in for a sub 3 attempt in Toronto May 6th. My previous PR is 3:00:10, surely I can run 11 seconds faster ... I hope ...  Smile

On average probably 80ish only....but doing the homework on the long runs and ultra specific workouts.  I would hope to be in 2:30ish shape.

The course I have in mind is pancake flat so it's not comparable to most 50-milers.  The winner this year ran close to that split, and is nowhere near a 2:20 marathoner but good at ultras.  A 2:17 marathoner ran close to that time on a very brutal course recently.

You doing DPR again?  It would good to see some competition for Zach on that course, but something tells me he is not going to give up his course record easily.  Smile

Feeling the growl again

You doing DPR again?  It would good to see some competition for Zach on that course, but something tells me he is not going to give up his course record easily.  Smile

That's the plan.  It's a convenient course for me.