2012 Sub-3:00 Marathon Goal Thread (Read 6881 times)

DoppleBock

I know its not fair to suggest this- But my goal for you is to be 1st educator to finish 

I guess I'm in the game again this year.

Last year, I was undertrained for my first attempt at the marathon, but I know what I need to do this year, and I think I'm already off to a good start.

I'm not really sure what kind of time.  Let's just see if I can get under 2:40.

9/23/12--Fox Cities Marathon   <2:40

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Any one want to play guess the Marathon Time?

PR'ed on Saturday with a 1:19:52 half,  tacked on a few more to get in 18,  2 easy days of 8 then did my last 20 miler today (most was on the course).  Legs felt fresh and happy. 

McMillian and all of the other running calculators woefully under predict my longer distances.     McMillian was over by 2:20 on the half.

This is the marathon's elevation profile:

Spaniel went with a  2:45 - 2:48 prediction in another thread. 

Thoughts?

I hate this game but I can't resist playing.  I'm going with 2:53.  I think you'll be a little too aggressive early and you don't have much (or any) experience with racing sub 3 pace in the land beyond 20 miles.

And I'm factoring a lot with what I would expect of myself given your mileage and recent race results--when I ran 2:49 for the first time I had a 35:56 10k and a 1:20 HM and was running roughly the same mileage as you are now.  But it was like my 6th sub 3, and 3rd legitimate try at sub 2:50.  But I'm not a natural marathoner by any stretch.

Please prove me wrong and I mean that.  I've been following your training and racing--great work.

Runners run

DoppleBock

I am feeling just a smidge better.  No beer for 9 days.  I have given up the illusion of control and trying for <= 10 hours a week of training and I am punishing my legs into aerobic submission.  Still a lot of cement leg runs to come before they understand to just shut up and obey.

For the 1st time I am starting to feel optimistic about breaking 3 at Carmel in April. 

Any one want to play guess the Marathon Time?

PR'ed on Saturday with a 1:19:52 half,  tacked on a few more to get in 18,  2 easy days of 8 then did my last 20 miler today (most was on the course).  Legs felt fresh and happy. 

McMillian and all of the other running calculators woefully under predict my longer distances.     McMillian was over by 2:20 on the half.

This is the marathon's elevation profile:

Spaniel went with a  2:45 - 2:48 prediction in another thread. 

Thoughts?

Well, let's go old school. Half time, plus 10 minutes, rounds to 2:50. Given the hills, 2:52. Under 2:50 if you hold back on the early hills, take what you can get on the downs and hit the rise at 23 ready to crush.

Get off my porch

I am feeling just a smidge better.  No beer for 9 days. 

Good on you, hate to give up my beer. That's one thing that gets me through the day.

Get off my porch

I know its not fair to suggest this- But my goal for you is to be 1st educator to finish 

That might be a little unfair.  I'd have to get a K-12 degree in seven months.  That could screw up my training.

Seriously, I would love to be a teacher...but only for the summers off.  I can only imagine what I would do with my training.

You aren't the only one that wants a 1st.  My old high school coach wants one, too.  We had a rivalry with Neenah long ago, so I wouldn't mind a win for both of us.

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

DoppleBock

Sorry for some reason I thought you were an educator - But at least you knew what I meant.  I wish I could - I just do not have the ability to run fast enough unless I blew up.  It is not that I do not like Mike - Just would be nice to have you beat him!

You never know who will show up - Good old 2005 when Elly Rono showed and ran 2:18 - Mile was 5th with 2:34

2006 - I do not think he ran - I was 3rd with a pedestrian 2:45:58

2011 - Mike was 1st with a 2:39 ~ Although a 2:45 would have made 3rd.

Mike runs enough marathons that I think 2:39 was a poor showing - I do think a more usual time would be 2:32-2:34. 

DoppleBock

Interesting - They are capping the marathon @ 1200 - Have they gotten 1200 in recent years?  I guess I would keep an eye on it.

I am running Fox Cities backward on March 17th - But I think a 3:10 would be a nice time - I will wear my camelback as it is more of a fatass race than anything.

el Jeffe

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/151756543 Nice 20 mile run today, well below lactate threshold. I'm on day 22 of a base focused run streak after months off from any training at all. Under similar circumstances to start 2010, I was able to get in 1h23 half marathon shape within a month and half. Seems like I'm on track.

Sorry for some reason I thought you were an educator - But at least you knew what I meant.  I wish I could - I just do not have the ability to run fast enough unless I blew up.  It is not that I do not like Mike - Just would be nice to have you beat him!

You never know who will show up - Good old 2005 when Elly Rono showed and ran 2:18 - Mile was 5th with 2:34

2006 - I do not think he ran - I was 3rd with a pedestrian 2:45:58

2011 - Mike was 1st with a 2:39 ~ Although a 2:45 would have made 3rd.

Mike runs enough marathons that I think 2:39 was a poor showing - I do think a more usual time would be 2:32-2:34. 

2:18 was with prize money, right?  I don't see that happening anymore now that FCM is a "community" event.  And I tried to hang on to third last year, but I sucked.  It was pretty demoralizing being passed in the last half mile.

I think his 2:39 was a poor showing for him, and had I been well-trained, or more experienced, I might have given him a run for his money.  As it stands now, I'll have to shoot for sub-2:40 this year, and look at low 2:30s next year.

I didn't know there is cap this year.  Do they really get that many?

Have fun with the backwards thing.  I'm not running 26.2 until I really have to.

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

Count me in please: 15 April, Bungay Marathon (Bungay, UK)

Clive, thanks for managing this great thread!

I'm finally ready to give this a go. After several dreadful marathons with huge positive splits, I did a 3:09 in 2010 with a 5 minute negative split. Could probably have gone a little faster, but my main concern was not to blow up like in all my previous attempts. Have put in some decent mileage since then and I definitely have the speed for it (1:20 HM a few months back). If the training keeps going well, I might even man up and set a slightly more ambitious goal, but sub 3 is the main focus for now.

DoppleBock

It should have been 2:17 - But Elly Rono came around the corner at the finish line (UW-Fox Valley), saw the clock and stook there pouting for 30-45 seconds - Pissed off that he missed the course record bonus - I am not sure if it was $5k or $10K.  So I doubt we get a sub 2:25 any time soon.  But you never know who shows up or has a break through race.

I cannot imagine them filling the cap - But who knows.  I would guess that with your time last year you could get in either way.  But maybe they do not care about fast runners ... or maybe they do - I think the RD and Mike are pretty good friends.

Fox Cities Backward - I am just looking to do a structure long run ~ It is actually the dividing place in my training where after it I will start to add some speed work back in to prepare for Carmel Marathon.

2:18 was with prize money, right?  I don't see that happening anymore now that FCM is a "community" event.  And I tried to hang on to third last year, but I sucked.  It was pretty demoralizing being passed in the last half mile.

I think his 2:39 was a poor showing for him, and had I been well-trained, or more experienced, I might have given him a run for his money.  As it stands now, I'll have to shoot for sub-2:40 this year, and look at low 2:30s next year.

I didn't know there is cap this year.  Do they really get that many?

Have fun with the backwards thing.  I'm not running 26.2 until I really have to.

DoppleBock

Geo - Have a great race @ Napa!

Only two more days til Napa!  Best wishes to Geo on his sub 3 attempt.  It looks like perfect weather for Sunday.  I'll be running Napa, but at a much more leisurely pace (probably 3:20-3:30).  I think I'll be wearing my "Humboldt Track Club" singlet at the race if you happen to see me at the start.  I'm using it as a long training run to get ready for a 50k on March 18th and a possible 50 miler on April 21st.  I'm technically still in achilles injury recovery mode, and this week will be my first time doing 4 runs in a week.

Good luck Geo!