2012 Sub-3:00 Marathon Goal Thread (Read 6881 times)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Looks like DB had a 2:56Tight lippedx.  Very even splits with a good finish.

Congrats, DB!  Any reports from the others?

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I dropped out at mile 25, after some vomiting and dizziness and an inability to take one more zombie like step.

Got taken to the emergency room, and got pumped with 3 liters of IV fluid and 3 gatorades, officially Heat Exaustion.

What do I take from this experience?

I'm stupid.  I've never been a good heat runner, and I knew pretty early on that the race was not going to go well.  I considered dropping out at mile 16, and again at Mile 20.  My pace had slowed so much that there was no way to salvage a reasonable race.

I should have dropped out much earlier, instead of waiting for my body to rebel.  Sometimes it takes more courage to quit than continue.  I've got to know when to quit.  Also I'm never running a marathon in over 72 degrees again.

I signed up for Sugarloaf in 4 weeks hopefully the weather will be better.

Sorry it went poorly for you.  The bad thing is that when the body starts shutting down, the brain gets stupid at the same time.  Good luck at Sugarloaf!

Feeling the growl again

Well I guess I am in for 2:35 at Carmel on 4/21.  DB talked me into this one.  My training and racing have been VERRY rollercoaster-like this year so the error bars around this goal are pretty wide.

Fail. My pattern of performing poorly in morning races, compared to what afternoon workouts predict, continues.  2:39:30.  I did nothing wrong, went out right on plan ~5:50 pace for the first 9 miles.  No pop in legs.  Wind SUCKED.  Gave up a couple different times, but another runner caught up to me and we pushed each other.  Eventually dropped him and got within reeling distance of another, worked my tail off the last couple miles to catch him and finish 5th OA.  So could have been MUCH worse, so I'm OK with the result.  On to the next one.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Fail. My pattern of performing poorly in morning races, compared to what afternoon workouts predict, continues.  2:39:30.  I did nothing wrong, went out right on plan ~5:50 pace for the first 9 miles.  No pop in legs.  Wind SUCKED.  Gave up a couple different times, but another runner caught up to me and we pushed each other.  Eventually dropped him and got within reeling distance of another, worked my tail off the last couple miles to catch him and finish 5th OA.  So could have been MUCH worse, so I'm OK with the result.  On to the next one.

Fifth is nothing to sneeze at. I'm impressed, anyway. Congrats!
          DoppleBock

I stopped looking at the clock @ mile #9 and just tried to make the time and mileage pass as quickly and efficiently as posssible.  For me it was the anti-taper (2x160 mile weeks) that left my legs without a push after mile #9.  I did not lose much I was @ 1 minute possitive 1st 10k to last 10k ~ 2:56:07

Fun day - Nice to hang out with friends

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

PS - Happy to hit year #9 in a row with a sub 3.  Now I am good until 2013

Feeling the growl again

I stopped looking at the clock @ mile #9 and just tried to make the time and mileage pass as quickly and efficiently as posssible.  For me it was the anti-taper (2x160 mile weeks) that left my legs without a push after mile #9.  I did not lose much I was @ 1 minute possitive 1st 10k to last 10k ~ 2:56:07

Fun day - Nice to hang out with friends

Yes, the after-party was certainly the highlight of the day for me. 

I feel better after logging my splits in.  Last mile (gradual uphill) 5:58, after running the rest of the last 10K in the 6:20s.  It was the only mile after the first 8 that I broke 6.  Last 0.2 @ ~5:20 pace.  funny what the carrot of another runner coming back will do for you.  I didn't bonk or go out silly fast, I simply did not do my homework and get strong enough to race a whole marathon .  I have to remember I no longer have several consecutive 3000-4000 mile years backing up my current training cycle.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

DoppleBock

Hopefully the running part was a learning or good experience.  I really love the marathon ~ Each one if different and to be truthful I love the whole book of emotions and thoughts I have during the race. 

I think it is a nice race when you can not run your best - Get some motivation - You still ran within 30 seconds per mile of your PR - I know that is a huge amount of time and pace ~ but it tells me its still in there for the taking. 

Yes, the after-party was certainly the highlight of the day for me. 

I feel better after logging my splits in.  Last mile (gradual uphill) 5:58, after running the rest of the last 10K in the 6:20s.  It was the only mile after the first 8 that I broke 6.  Last 0.2 @ ~5:20 pace.  funny what the carrot of another runner coming back will do for you.  I didn't bonk or go out silly fast, I simply did not do my homework and get strong enough to race a whole marathon .  I have to remember I no longer have several consecutive 3000-4000 mile years backing up my current training cycle.

I Ain't Dead Yet!

Hmm, looks like I'm up next.  Will try to "taper" for this race.  I haven't posted here much, but I've been putting in a ton of miles (nothing like DB but he's a freak of nature) and felt kinda beat up last week.  Feeling better this week, so far, so hopefully a cutback will help me sneak in a marathon PR before my 24 Hour race in June.  If not, I'll hope to reign it in at Whistlestop Marathon in October.

Congrats to DB on his race.  Very impressive, especially with his insane volume lately.  

My hair is gone and I'm almost blind
                    The days of my youth are far behind
                    My neck is stiff, I can't turn my head
                    Can't hear one-half that's being said
                    And this is the message I want you to get
                    I'm still a-kicking, and I ain't dead yet.

bhearn

Good luck, Don.

DB, congrats!

I'm up for Big Sur this weekend, but I'm not going to try to run sub-3 on that course. I tried to save it for Big Sur with the Boston weather, but I was marginal for sub-3 at Boston anyway, and Big Sur is, I think, a significantly slower course. I'm thinking maybe 3:05 - 3:10.

My course PR is 3:38, but both times I've run it I'd run Boston the previous weekend, and Country Music the previous day. It will be nice to actually race it, not being totally spent coming in.

I Ain't Dead Yet!

Good luck, Don.

DB, congrats!

I'm up for Big Sur this weekend, but I'm not going to try to run sub-3 on that course. I tried to save it for Big Sur with the Boston weather, but I was marginal for sub-3 at Boston anyway, and Big Sur is, I think, a significantly slower course. I'm thinking maybe 3:05 - 3:10.

My course PR is 3:38, but both times I've run it I'd run Boston the previous weekend, and Country Music the previous day. It will be nice to actually race it, not being totally spent coming in.

Thanks.

Big Sur is a tough course for sub-3:00 (or so I hear, I've never run that one) but don't discount your chances.  If you're feeling good early, take a shot at it.  Best wishes on your race.  One year I'll get out there for that one.

DoppleBock

Don - How familiar are you will Pine Line ?

It looks cold at start and cool at the finish - But the waterstops are not typical of a normal marathon ... 6-8 on course.  I think I remember  a year where they had 7 ~ 1 at the turn around and 3 between start and turnaround.

Should not be a huge issues with the cool weather.

spinach

Don

Are you running Wobegon again?  I am beginning to feel that I will have a chance there this year.  I ran a 1:25:08 at the Earthday Half Marathon last weekend, my best half in five years.  I am beginning to think that I am finally over the hamstring problem I had all of last year.  That is a problem with getting old,  in the fifties injuries take forever to heal. 

I Ain't Dead Yet!

Don - How familiar are you will Pine Line ?

It looks cold at start and cool at the finish - But the waterstops are not typical of a normal marathon ... 6-8 on course.  I think I remember  a year where they had 7 ~ 1 at the turn around and 3 between start and turnaround.

Should not be a huge issues with the cool weather.

Not familiar at all.  I have some friends that ran it last year and they told me about the water stops.  If the weather was looking warmer or more humid I'd be concerned and might have considered running with a handheld bottle, but if the weather forecast holds I think I should be fine with that setup.  More than anything I'm just hoping it doesn't rain a lot leading up to the race as that could make the trail softer than I'd like it.

I Ain't Dead Yet!

Don

Are you running Wobegon again?  I am beginning to feel that I will have a chance there this year.  I ran a 1:25:08 at the Earthday Half Marathon last weekend, my best half in five years.  I am beginning to think that I am finally over the hamstring problem I had all of last year.  That is a problem with getting old,  in the fifties injuries take forever to heal. 

I'm running it but not racing. I'm going to pace a friend to her BQ (3:30 or better). Decided, with the help of Dopple, that Wobegon is too close to the FANS 24 hour race, which is why I scrambled to find Pine Line in hopes of sneaking in a cheap marathon PR before FANS.

We'll have to connect at Wobegon this year.  I should be more talkative than last year since I'm not gunning for a PR.  I'm such a head case before goal races it's tough to talk to anyone.  

Congrats on Earth Day Half.  With that time you should be golden for sub-3:00 at Wobegon.  See you on 5/12.