2012 Sub-3:00 Marathon Goal Thread (Read 6881 times)

I suppose lets try this again...

Boston, 2:59:59 Wink

Maybe I'll join in this.

Well I'm running

Houston 1/15

Boston 4/16

New York 11/4

That's seems about right.

Goals?

Something in the 2:45-2:46 range for Houston, but I reserve the right to go faster. Then I'll go from there. My ultimate goal is to go sub 2+age one day. If I ever do that I'll probably retire for a year or so...

I ran New York this past weekend as a long run in 3:09.

I'll jump in, too.

Baystate

10/21/12

2:59:59

There's zero logical reason to think I'll hit this goal. It's 14:27 faster than my current PR. I plan to spend the next year busting my ass working on it anyway.

MTA: Just noticed that next year's a leap year. One extra day to train. Should be in the bag.

MTA#2: Fixed date.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

DoppleBock

Chicago, New York, Boston - You must be one of those big time Cosmo girls ...

although I am waiting for London and Berlin to show up!

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

So after an easy week this week "recovering" from my 26.2 mile long run on Sunday. The goal is: 7 weeks = 678 miles. Shocked

Chicago, New York, Boston - You must be one of those big time Cosmo girls ...

although I am waiting for London and Berlin to show up!

Well I really like the small races better but i'm already signed up for Boston again, so why not?

I'll jump in, too.

Baystate

10/14/12

2:59:59

There's zero logical reason to think I'll hit this goal. It's 14:27 faster than my current PR. I plan to spend the next year busting my ass working on it anyway.

MTA: Just noticed that next year's a leap year. One extra day to train. Should be in the bag.

Logical reason is a yr to knock off 14 min can happen
                  xhristopher

I asked because at one point I thought you mentioned in originated in the shin area.  I have dealt with chronic "shin" pain since 2010.  I tried everything I read to get rid of it, two months of rest, ice, changing inserts, thera-band exercises targeting the muscle groups, massage, rollers, etc.  Finally it went away without me really knowing what fixed it.  It magically came back in April of 2011.  This time, I took less rest (5 days over 3 weeks).  I still stretched and iced, but continued to run.  I had a few runs where it felt like every fiber in my lower leg was shredding away from the insertion point and pain was close to a 10/10. My ankle/shin during this time was swollen at least 3/4 of an inch beyond the normal diameter.

After a few really brutal runs I was amazed at how quickly things turned around.  I could speculate that active recovery helped bring blood to the damaged tissues , but who the hell knows.  I certainly don't advocate "running through it" as the first resort, but when nothing else works, you may have to ask what do I have to lose.

MTA:  I saw multiple Docs for this, diagnoses ranging from compartment syndrome, stress fracture to Anterior Tibial tendonitis.  Final diagnosis was tendonitis and some tearing of connective tissue securing muscle/tendons in place.  I am still convinced it was effect of form and anatomy issues....

I can relate to the shredding away. Sometimes it felt like the soft tissues on the front of my shin were separated from what held them. Instead of pain I just got numbness, weirdness, and some sensations of cutting across the lower shin but nothing truely horrible. Trying to run through it put me in a deeper hole. I really don't think it is compartment syndrome. It felt like tendentious on the front of my ankle but when I suggested this to the doc he said there would have been much more pain. Perhaps one person's pain is another's discomfort? I dunno. Your final diagnosis sounds about as plausible as anything for my issues too. After a bit of rest I'm slowly building while keeping the issues stable. They are still not gone and rob me of much of the joy and freedom I find in running. So long as I can make progress I'm happy.

dpschumacher

5 months til Masters

Anyone have suggestions for runner's knee? Been icing, ibuprofen, using a knee band and cut back on mileage. I've been stretching more than before. Anything else?

[edited spelling errors]

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

Foam roller and some knee exercises using a theraband worked for me. It took months to go away completely but after I got it under control in a few weeks it was only a minor discomfort rather than limiting....

No Talent Drips

Anyone have suggestions for runner's knee? Been icing, ibuprofen, using a knee band and cut back on mileage. I've been stretching more than before. Anything else?

[edited spelling errors]

I developed a bad case during my first marathon training cycle in 2006. Took some time off from running, made a concerted effort to loose some weight, and strengthened my quads (extensions, light weigh, high repetition...not squats). Haven't had a problem since...

Dei Gratia

No Talent Drips

Also, I'll be looking for a sub 3 at Boston in 2012.  If I can find it in the budget, there is one in Ireland I'd like to make it to as well...have to wait and see on that one.

Thanks Clive!

Dei Gratia

PaulyGram

Fast is better than long

Paul E. (PaulyGram) -- 16APR2012 -- Boston (Boston MA) -- Goal = 2:50

2017 Goals: Give up goals; they're stoopid

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm the rest of the night;
                              Set a man afire and he'll be warm the rest of his life.

What in the Jehu?

jpdeaux

Well I really like winning the small races better but i'm already signed up for Boston again, so why not?