2012 Sub-3:00 Marathon Goal Thread (Read 6881 times)

Goorun

2:52:18, I think. We had excellent weather and a fast course. Think I fell off a bit the last couple miles. Will have to review that later. Think I missed the stop button at the finish. Very happy with my run today.

I'm new here in RA. Came in with a bunch of disgruntled RWOL peeps and wondering around RA. I did ran Eugene too. Nice course. I run on injured and  KT taped hamstring, so not too happy with the result, but it was OK under the circumstances. We probably ran close to each other during the race ( I finished a couple minutes in front of you). You also beat  2:11 marathoner, 2nd. in Boston in 1986 (Bill Rogers finished 4th. that year). He finished 89th. in 2:58. Not bad for 55 year old.

You also finished 7 seconds behind another former RWOL guy, who is now posting here. We are mostly in new L&O user group, but we will venture outside.

Slow and steady never wins anything.

xor

So goo, you ran 2:50ish?

Tell us your PR.  Go on.

Goorun

So goo, you ran 2:50ish?

Tell us your PR.  Go on.

I won 55-59 AG in Eugene, so you can look it up Wink.  Damn hamstring, all that training for nothing.

... and you know that my PRs expired, but since I'm new here, I just say, that I never broke 2:18 in marathon or 14 minutes in 5000 meters, so not that good.

fb-guy

Don't you hate people with actual talent. That's a hellofa race for 55-59. You're into real negative moose mug territory there, but aren't you trying to go faster than that?

Goorun -- nice seeing some fast guys from RWOL hanging out.

m: 2:55:04 | 10k: 37:14 | 50mile: 9:35

Goorun

Don't you hate people with actual talent. That's a hellofa race for 55-59. You're into real negative moose mug territory there, but aren't you trying to go faster than that?

Goorun -- nice seeing some fast guys from RWOL hanging out.

I do own a Moose Mug. My go to beer mug.

As far as going faster, I'm planing sub 2:40 in Boston. Hope it's not 100 degrees. 

fb-guy

2 hours and age minus 16+ minutes. Now you're talking -- stay healthy.

Help!

On the last few runs my IT band on my left leg has been hurting. On Saturday there was a sudden sharp pain that almost made me miss a step, and then it was gone. Within a couple of minutes my knee was feeling no pain, but it did get sore again after the run.

I am now worried that this thing is going to flare up during the marathon this weekend. I have already been doing a generous taper and trying to stay off of it. What else can I do? Is it crazy to pop ibuprofen right before the race? I hate to add something new (like a brace) so late in the game.

Currently the plan is to just HTFU and go run the race and worry about it later. Hopefully there is a better plan.

--

Nashville, TN

xor

I was told that this thread takes six seconds to load.  I just opened this page in 0.00005 seconds.  I suspect the person (gus? fornobravo?) are talking about something else?  Navigating through the thread?

bhearn

He's talking about the sub-3 thread in the Marathon Race Training forum:

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/MarathonRaceTraining/forum/17ad87fbd0c34d90956944b0f3744af2

And yes, that thread does seem to take a long time to load for some reason. 

QuinntheEskimo

Not That Douchey

I'm new here in RA. Came in with a bunch of disgruntled RWOL peeps and wondering around RA. I did ran Eugene too. Nice course. I run on injured and  KT taped hamstring, so not too happy with the result, but it was OK under the circumstances. We probably ran close to each other during the race ( I finished a couple minutes in front of you). You also beat  2:11 marathoner, 2nd. in Boston in 1986 (Bill Rogers finished 4th. that year). He finished 89th. in 2:58. Not bad for 55 year old.

You also finished 7 seconds behind another former RWOL guy, who is now posting here. We are mostly in new L&O user group, but we will venture outside.

you're lucky that Eugene wasn't another 1/4 mile, else you would have had Quinn shoe tracks across your back as you crossed the finish line.

i lost 2-3 minutes over the last 4-5 miles of that course. i wasn't a fan of the winding concrete sidewalk- but everything else was perfect.

sub 2:40 at Boston? really?  you'll have to shoot me an email of your training plans- we might be starting in the same corral and i can at least chase you for awhile.

fb-guy

We need a 55+ sub 2:40 thread. I'm sure that will be really busy. Smile

I would like like to hear what Quinn and Goorun are planning for training cycles.

kcam

OK, I'm officially out for CIM; please strike that and put me down for Tucson instead, 12/9.

Bob, you missed a real 'bonding' experience at CIM.  Pack running was definitely called for.  Actually was kinda fun to run in those conditions and wasn't nearly as difficult as I imagined.  Ran a 2:55:50 (good for 2nd in AG - a lot of the quick, old guys must have decided to stay home) after deciding to race, rather than train, at about the 3 mile mark.  Knock em out in Tucson.

Goorun

you're lucky that Eugene wasn't another 1/4 mile, else you would have had Quinn shoe tracks across your back as you crossed the finish line.

i lost 2-3 minutes over the last 4-5 miles of that course. i wasn't a fan of the winding concrete sidewalk- but everything else was perfect.

sub 2:40 at Boston? really?  you'll have to shoot me an email of your training plans- we might be starting in the same corral and i can at least chase you for awhile.

Hey QE,

I don't like that concrete either, but outside of that, I like the course. I'm copying my Eugene plan for 2013 Boston with more hills.  Before the hamstring injury I was realistically in 2:42-2:44 shape, so sub 2:40 should not be that much stretch. 

[Competitive] Jerk

Goorun, Quinn - Can I get in on this action? I'm shooting for a 2:40 in Boston as well.

tenacity

... We probably ran close to each other during the race ( I finished a couple minutes in front of you). You also beat  2:11 marathoner, 2nd. in Boston in 1986 (Bill Rogers finished 4th. that year). He finished 89th. in 2:58. Not bad for 55 year old.

You also finished 7 seconds behind another former RWOL guy, who is now posting here...

Goorun- If you're the one I'm thinking of, did you have a pacer with you at Eugene? I recall the guy in front of me by 7 seconds- he got around me as I faded the last mile and a half.

Great job out there, and welcome to RA