2012 Sub-3:00 Marathon Goal Thread (Read 6881 times)

I'm cancelling my goal of <2:53 for Disney 2012.  Been dealing with almost two weeks of Achilles issues and with less than 2 month until Disney there just isn't time to get in decent training for a PR.  I will most likely be pacing my wife hopefully to a sub 3:20.  It will be a nice start to training for Ice Age 50M in May...

bhearn

Anyone have suggestions for runner's knee? Been icing, ibuprofen, using a knee band and cut back on mileage. I've been stretching more than before. Anything else?

[edited spelling errors]

I was out most of the summer with runner's knee... tried all that, nothing helped but time. Really sucked. On the plus side, I seem to have completely recovered. Ran my first 100 miler 1 week ago, and a decent marathon this past weekend.

I'm cancelling my goal of <2:53 for Disney 2012.  Been dealing with almost two weeks of Achilles issues and with less than 2 month until Disney there just isn't time to get in decent training for a PR.  I will most likely be pacing my wife hopefully to a sub 3:20.  It will be a nice start to training for Ice Age 50M in May...

I'm sorry to hear that, and I feel your pain.  Although based on your hilarious comments on your last couple of runs, I'm not in nearly as bad pain as you.  Mine doesn't feel like shredded pork, although that's how it felt back in Jan/Feb '10.  It took me until September '10 until I felt I could run a normal steady mileage.

I'm off running for November and just doing stationary bike.  December I hope to mix in light mileage and hopefully build up to where I can go sub 3 and help a friend at Napa in March.

I'm sorry to hear that, and I feel your pain.  Although based on your hilarious comments on your last couple of runs, I'm not in nearly as bad pain as you.  Mine doesn't feel like shredded pork, although that's how it felt back in Jan/Feb '10.  It took me until September '10 until I felt I could run a normal steady mileage.

The last time I was able to push through tendonitis and it just got better, so I just kept trying to push through again.  This time, it is not getting better.  I'm okay with taking some downtime if it means I can start next year strong and get in some longer runs  because running in pain gets old quick. 

I still  believe that pushing through the pain is more productive, but once my achilles swelling just wouldn't go down that was when I decided to call it quits.  You can't expect tissues to repair themselves if they can't circulate blood because of swelling.

I'm still trying to figure out how I get to that level where I run a goal race (26.2 or longer) and still can run hard for 50K or more a week or two later.  Not sure what I'm doing wrong but I consistently get injured after my goal races....

Good luck with the recovery!

dpschumacher

5 months til Masters

Big day tomorrow.  I get to run on the track named in honor of the man I was named after, Dan McClimon, in Madison, WI.  Awesome UW-Madison track coach and my dad's coach for 5 years.  Pretty pumped. 

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

Recently came back from a 5 year layoff due to a knee injury, and I'm looking forward to running my first marathon! Targeting Philly 2012 to run 2:55. Should give me enough time to get back to a respectable level of fitness before summer begins, then piling on those miles and tempo runs. 

dpschumacher

5 months til Masters

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey, everybody!  Just wanted to know not that things are getting cold...at least here in land of the ice and snow...how peoples' training is going especially my fellow January-thoners. 

I have been doing pretty well, but getting sick of running on ice and snow.  It is really slowing me down and kills some of the motivation to get out each day.  However, i have been running with a lot of former college buddies who meet weekly which helps.

And one final note.  This is one of my college roommates.  He is doing really well and has officially become a stud.  I was fortunate to be able to run far...far....far behind him in college.

2023 Goals

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

spinach

So you went to Saint John's, were you in any of my classes (mathematics)?

dpschumacher

5 months til Masters

So you went to Saint John's, were you in any of my classes (mathematics)?

Nope.  Aced the AP Calc in high school and retired from ever having to do math outside of econ again.

2023 Goals

2024 Goals

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

bhearn

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey, everybody!  Just wanted to know not that things are getting cold...at least here in land of the ice and snow...how peoples' training is going especially my fellow January-thoners.  

Well I was hoping for < 2:55 at Houston, but it's pretty clear now that's not gonna happen. I'm still not back to full training after that 100 miler I threw in a few weeks ago, and my weight is not where it needs to be either. I'm crossing my fingers I can still go sub-3, keep up the intensity, then go sub-2:55 at Boston. But honestly even sub-3 at Houston seems like a real stretch at this point.

spinach, you're a math prof? Cool. My Ph.D. was in CS, but really it's math (computational complexity).

spinach

spinach, you're a math prof? Cool. My Ph.D. was in CS, but really it's math (computational complexity).

Bob, yeah I am a mathematician.  Our areas are pretty close, my PhD is in recursion theory.  It's a small world. 

I have January marathon coming up but I won't be any where near 3 hours in it.  It's an indoor one Zoom Yah Yah, I have run it the last four years and it is a lot of fun but not the fastest race (although it was my best time last year). Dan: good luck in the Icebreaker marathon next month.  I was registered for it in 2010 but an ice storm in the St Cloud area prevented me from getting there.  Sort of ironic that the ice storm kept me out of it.  I was wondering if you were in any of my classes because it seems that at most races I run around here I will see one or two former students.  Good luck with your training.

dpschumacher

5 months til Masters

Bob, yeah I am a mathematician.  Our areas are pretty close, my PhD is in recursion theory.  It's a small world. 

I have January marathon coming up but I won't be any where near 3 hours in it.  It's an indoor one Zoom Yah Yah, I have run it the last four years and it is a lot of fun but not the fastest race (although it was my best time last year). Dan: good luck in the Icebreaker marathon next month.  I was registered for it in 2010 but an ice storm in the St Cloud area prevented me from getting there.  Sort of ironic that the ice storm kept me out of it.  I was wondering if you were in any of my classes because it seems that at most races I run around here I will see one or two former students.  Good luck with your training.

Yeah I had a double major in Peace Studies/German and a minor in econ actually.  If you teach any of the intro classes you may have had my wife though.  I was considering the zoom yah yah, but the ice breaker had the bigger track so i went there.  I remember my wife telling me about that storm.  I was in New Jersey at the time.  That's cool though...I didn't know there were other Johnnies here.  I was thinking about coming to watch the Yah Yah...I have a high school buddy running it...I may see you there! :-)

2023 Goals

2024 Goals

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

Muebele

I am going to throw my name in the hat now to keep me motivated to my goal

Boston 2012 - Sub 3:00

Right now at 3:09, marathon training just started, just ran a 1:28 half with a waterstop/gu malfunction that cost me 30 seconds.  I know I have a lot of work to do, but isn't that what setting big goals is a all about?

Dedicated and Determined

Add me to the list! My goal is sub 3, so I guess 2:59:59. I would be happy with anything sub 3. I have not ran very much in a couple years. I ran a 3:08 doing Pftiz 18 55, starting from no running. So I am doing the pfitz 18 70 since I have much more time to commit now. We will see how I do. I plan to hit it real hard this next year and see where it all falls. I know 3:08 to sub 3 is a decent jump but I think I can do it. And on my 3:08, I was running a 3:04 pace and decided to go slow the last two miles just to make sure I qualified for Boston. So 6:52 min/mile pace might not be that bad.... We will see!

I am running my home town Toledo Marathon first I think and I am for sure doing Columbus. I had a great time in Columbus in 2009. The course was flat and seemed pretty easy to keep a steady pace. Not to mention I know the route and city and it brings back memories from college.

PRs // 5k : 17:44 // 7k: 27:21 // 8k: 31:33 //10k: 41:25 // 1/2 Marathon: 1:28:12 // Marathon: 3:08:49 

http://athlinks.com/myresults/51363208/Larry-Koren.aspx

April 2009 = started running for first time in life, Oct 2009 = 3:08 marathon

2012 Goals:

0. Lose weight, 2009 I was 152, Now 169...Goal is 14Xlbs

1. Finish Pfitzinger 18 70 plan

2. Toledo Marathon: Sub 3 hour

3. Finish Pfitzinger 18 85 plan

4. Columbus Marathon: sub 2:55 or better...

joesuperdad

Add me to the list, please.  I'm planning on 2 marathons this year - Buffalo in May - but I'll probably have a better shot at under 3 hours at the Niagara Falls International in October.  Just breaking 3 is the goal, so I guess that's 2:59:59...