2012 Sub-3:00 Marathon Goal Thread (Read 6881 times)

Doug-

This looks like a great group of folks--- I'll join the conversation, looking to better 2:53 at Boston.

~Doug

delete wrong thread

Get off my porch

Hey Dirk, you might wanna put your post in the 2011 thread. Smile  (I got your result in there already.)

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Let's try a sub 2:45:00 in Zurich Marathon of Barcelona 25MARCH2012 http://www.zurichmaratobarcelona.es/

Baystate 2012  <2:35

Second verse, same as the first...

Goals for 2013: sub 18 5K; stay healthy

My attempt at a sub 3 at Napa in March is looking less likely.  My recovery from an achilles injury is going VERY slowly.  I've done a total of three runs since my marathon over 5 weeks ago, but I have been able to supplement with a stationary bike and most recently pool running.  I was a bit too aggressive on the bike, and that slowed my healing.  I'm hoping some water training will work better.

The achilles is fine while I run, but the next day is pretty sore in the morning.  I suspect I could train through it, but I'd likely destroy my body in a couple of years.  I'd rather let it fully heal now so I can enjoy a long future of running, even if it's more recreational and less competitive.

DoppleBock

I am out - I am running Houston - I have had a major shift in life - Maybe mid-life crisis, maybe gaining a shred of common sense.  I have given up way too much the last 8 years in a relentless pursuit of running.  Some of the sacrifice good, some not good.  In the past I would  read all the time of people unwilling to run more than x miles or cannot do more than x miles a week and thought many of those people were weak.  Now I realize they are just wise.  I think I have spent a reasonable amount of quality time with my kids during this time, maybe the activites were not as diverse or active as I am tired from running.  My time with my wife has suffered.  My volunteering for church has been solid.  My time I have available for friends has been weak.  My time I have available for things I love to do other than running - Non existent.

I may have went overboard in my reversal of activites.  In the last 8 weeks, I have not matched up my calorie intake well with my activity output and have gained 25#.  I think I have this well balanced currently.  I will ramp back up to 50-60 miles per week average running (1/2 previous) and embrace all the loved activites I have ignroed for 8 years.

I have started to play racketball and volleyball again - Theses types of activites bring me joy.  Near future will be downhill skiing, weight lifting, snow shoeing, cross country skate skiing.  I am almost giddy at the thought of these fun activites.  Why do I need to run at all?  Weight control, fitness and ... I am an aerobic animal - this needs to be fed.  Eventually I hope to be able to take joy out of running much fewer miles per week, right now it feels half-ass and unsatisfying.

I hope by Spring (May-June) to find a way with 50-60 MPW to break 3 hours in a marathon.  I look forward to do 50k-100 milers for fun as a mid-packer.

This has been coming for 2-3 years.  June 2009 FANS24 race of 147 miles ... if I had not made the US 24 hour team - I would have started then.  The acitvities I love are numerous and diverse - I let running become a mean spirited task master for too long.

I am only looking at threads or forums every week or so - But I do check my messages about every other day - If you want to get my attention, go running with me or drink a beer with me -  drop me a line. 

Have a great 2012

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DB - enjoy the downtime.  I have no doubt you will still be pulling off a sub 3:00 this year.  Hope to see you at IAT 50 this year too!

I was hoping to get sub 3 in 2011.  However, I was undertrained for both attempts (Boston, CIM).

I ended up not really going for it.  Well, for CIM, I still held out a slim hope that there might still be a chance after running a 1:31 1st half, knowing the 2nd half would be easier.

I ended up getting 3:02 in both cases.

I signed up for Napa Valley Marathon in Mar and will try to achieve my sub 3 goal.

I was hoping to get sub 3 in 2011.  However, I was undertrained for both attempts (Boston, CIM).

I ended up not really going for it.  Well, for CIM, I still held out a slim hope that there might still be a chance after running a 1:31 1st half, knowing the 2nd half would be easier.

I ended up getting 3:02 in both cases.

I signed up for Napa Valley Marathon in Mar and will try to achieve my sub 3 goal.

Nice!  Two minutes should be a piece of cake next year. 

xhristopher

Oh, good grief! If I can sort things out with my dumb leg I plan to go at it again in the fall, probably in NYC. Otherwise you might as well count me in for the 2013 sub 3 thread.

MTA: Thanks Clive.

This morning I got my reminder that registration for NYC opens on Jan 2. I think I'm going to pass and forfeit my guaranteed entry. I'm just not feeling the love for the $266 registration fee, all the logistics, and pinning a firm date on this fall's (hopeful) sub 3 attempt yet.

Right now the plan is to run Boston as a glorified training run (sub 3:30), see how I'm feeling, and take it from there. Last winter I believe I peaked 4 weeks before Boston. I'd like to keep as much flexibility as possible and run a course that suits me when I'm ready to attempt a sub 3 or at least BQ. Right now I can't know when that will be so just put me down as Fall/TBD.

This morning I got my reminder that registration for NYC opens on Jan 2. I think I'm going to pass and forfeit my guaranteed entry. I'm just not feeling the love for the $266 registration fee, all the logistics, and pinning a firm date on this fall's (hopeful) sub 3 attempt yet.

Holy cow.  $266 to register???  Well, that answers my question about whether my wife and I will run NY with our guaranteed entries. 

Right now the plan is to run Boston as a glorified training run (sub 3:30), see how I'm feeling, and take it from there. Last winter I believe I peaked 4 weeks before Boston. I'd like to keep as much flexibility as possible and run a course that suits me when I'm ready to attempt a sub 3 or at least BQ. Right now I can't know when that will be so just put me down as Fall/TBD.

I am thinking about doing NYC as a training run before CIM next year.  I know it is expensive but I want to do it once.  Kind of a thing on my list.

But NYC is probably not the best race to go sub-3.  The bridges are probably not much fun to cross.

With only about 9 weeks remaining, I really would like to increase the intensity of my training.

However, it seems like I haven't recovered from CIM completely.  My legs feel very tired lately, particularly after last Sat's multi-threshold runs and fartlek LR.

I was planning to do a double today but it looks like I have to bag it due to my really tired legs.

bhearn

Please strike me for Houston.

I'll still run it, but it will just be a training run for Boston. No way am I in sub-3 shape now. I can't complain -- what do I expect when I throw in a 100 miler during my training window?