2012 Sub-3:00 Marathon Goal Thread (Read 6881 times)

Dakota - happy thoughts are good. See you in Texas.

T-minus 11 days. Oh crap... I've started to slightly, slightly, slightly rationalize this as a good stepping stone to Boston...

jjameson

Dumb question, I'm new to this group:  I want to run a 3 hour marathon but I'm not sure I'm capable.  How do you know if it is possible?  Is there some criteria?  I've never run a road marathon before.  I've run several trail marathons, some 50k trail races, other ultras as well.  This year I did 10 races from 5 miles to 100K.  I did a half marathon in 2010 in 1:25:XX.  I did the 5 mile in 31:3X (turkey trot).  Are these fast enough to be in the ballpark for a three hour marathon?  I'm not sure.

I'd like to try it.   I'm signed up for Bayshore Marathon in Traverse City, Michigan.  It is a flat course and is on May 28th.  I bought a book called "Advanced Marathoning".  I'm thinking about following the 16 week plan (60-70mpw).  Is this a good book?  I tried a couple of the weeks from the book and liked it, but it was harder than I'm used to with all the faster running.

Thanks,

Joe

bhearn

I did a half marathon in 2010 in 1:25:XX.  ...  Are these fast enough to be in the ballpark for a three hour marathon?  I'm not sure.

Yeah, that's in the ballpark.

I bought a book called "Advanced Marathoning".  I'm thinking about following the 16 week plan (60-70mpw).  Is this a good book?  I tried a couple of the weeks from the book and liked it, but it was harder than I'm used to with all the faster running.

Good choice. Do you mean 18-week, 55-70? That's what I used for my first sub-3.

jjameson

Yes, I mean 18 week, 55-70 mpw

Feeling the growl again

I'm signed up for Bayshore Marathon in Traverse City, Michigan.  It is a flat course and is on May 28th.  I bought a book called "Advanced Marathoning".  I'm thinking about following the 16 week plan (60-70mpw).  Is this a good book?  I tried a couple of the weeks from the book and liked it, but it was harder than I'm used to with all the faster running.

That's certainly a great race to go for it at.  That's where my PR is from and my PR does not do the course justice.  It's FAST.  I hope you already have your hotel reservations, the timing of the race (Memorial Day weekend) is the only downside.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

dpschumacher

5 months til Masters

FYI-  Don't get food poisoning.

Goal for 2012 run for 366 straight days ended on January 2nd after a gyro for dinner January 1st.

However back on pace for the Marathon on January 22nd.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

I've run several trail marathons, some 50k trail races, other ultras as well.  This year I did 10 races from 5 miles to 100K.  I did a half marathon in 2010 in 1:25:XX.

You certainly have the endurance for it given how you killed it in some of your ultras.  With a 1:25 HM, I'd say you have the speed to.  Good luck Joe!

DoppleBock

Joe - When I ran my 1st sub 3:00 (2:56) I had a 1:25:57 1/2 PR - I think the fact that Pitz's plan you are following is faster than you are used to running speaks volume to the potential improvements to your overall speed you may acheive.  I think this is a good move for you, you area  strong ultra-runner, now lets change things up with something different ... speed.

BTW - Any thoughts about DWD Devil's Lake?  I have a score to settle with the 50k - Where I fractured my radail head (Tip in elbow area) last year - I will be paying for that the rest of my life. Many sports I love to do are now painful = Racketball, volleyball, wakeboarding, Tennis, Golf - Doc says I have what I have if I can take the pain then do them - so I do.

I am also thinking about Superior 100M ~ maybe.

I'd like to try it.   I'm signed up for Bayshore Marathon in Traverse City, Michigan.  It is a flat course and is on May 28th.  I bought a book called "Advanced Marathoning".  I'm thinking about following the 16 week plan (60-70mpw).  Is this a good book?  I tried a couple of the weeks from the book and liked it, but it was harder than I'm used to with all the faster running.

Thanks,

Joe

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

Currently nothing has changed here - I am getting my eating down decently and booze under control.  Very active, but fat.  Running 50 ish miles per week and between racketball, volleyball and downhill skiing - getting a lot of other activities in.  But nothing like running to improve running - Not doing enough for me to improve much - still gallowwalking anything 10+ miles.

I am a longshot for a < 3:30 @ Houston.

I think I can lose wome weight and figure out training with the other activities to make a go of it by mid April. 

I am looing forward to watching the trials

dpschumacher

5 months til Masters

T-14 Days until Icebreaker indoor marathon.  Feeling good.  Got food poisoning early in the week but dropped those pesky extra 5 pounds....so i got that going for me.  The guy I was planning sitting on in the race just dropped...so I may have a chance at winning the darn thing.  How are our Houston people?  Watch for Chris Erichsen in the trials.  He's a beast.  Super jealous of you all running down there.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

Hi,

I've missed quite a bit of sub 3:00 planning/sharing, but is it too late to add myself to the mix.  In the past 3 yrs I've been "so" close and going to try again. 

Twin Cities 2009  3:03

Fargo 2010   3:00:30

Twin Cities 2010  3:01

Twin Cities 2011 3:09 (just off an injury)

Hoping I can run some unfinished business at Fargo 2012 and be good to have some support from those attemping the same quest.

Hi,

I've missed quite a bit of sub 3:00 planning/sharing, but is it too late to add myself to the mix.

Never too late!  You're on the list. Smile

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

DoppleBock

Ice breaker ~ I would bring 2 empty gatorade bottles (20 or 32) ~ I put ducktape on them and write my number on them.  1 for water, 1 for gatorade ... they do not allow cups.  I works really slick - I just yell my number and "Gatorade" next lap and they have it ready to hand off.  I run a lap with it drinking and then toss it back.

Enjoy the race! 

T-14 Days until Icebreaker indoor marathon.  Feeling good.  Got food poisoning early in the week but dropped those pesky extra 5 pounds....so i got that going for me.  The guy I was planning sitting on in the race just dropped...so I may have a chance at winning the darn thing.  How are our Houston people?  Watch for Chris Erichsen in the trials.  He's a beast.  Super jealous of you all running down there.

I Ain't Dead Yet!

Hi,

I've missed quite a bit of sub 3:00 planning/sharing, but is it too late to add myself to the mix.  In the past 3 yrs I've been "so" close and going to try again. 

Twin Cities 2009  3:03

Fargo 2010   3:00:30

Twin Cities 2010  3:01

Twin Cities 2011 3:09 (just off an injury)

Hoping I can run some unfinished business at Fargo 2012 and be good to have some support from those attemping the same quest.

Willie, good to see you putting out the sub-3:00 intentions here.  Fargo will be a great race for you.

Okay, so I'll put it out here too.  Even though my main "goal" race for 2012 is going to be a 24 hour race I still intend on going sub-3:00 (hopefully sub-2:45) at Lake Wobegon Trail Marathon on 5/12.  So, throw me on the list too.

My hair is gone and I'm almost blind
                              The days of my youth are far behind
                              My neck is stiff, I can't turn my head
                              Can't hear one-half that's being said
                              And this is the message I want you to get
                              I'm still a-kicking, and I ain't dead yet.

spinach

I DNF-ed at Zoom Yah Yah over the weekend, but nonetheless it did give me a good deal of confidence,  So I will try again to run a sub three at Lake Wobegon Trail marathon in St Joseph MN on May 12.  It is my hometown course and I think it is the fastest course I ran.  Maybe I will get another sub three before I get too old.

I went in to Zoom Yah Yah with a bad cold or flu and probably shouldn't have run it.  I started off fairly well doing the first ten miles in about 1:07 or 1:08, which is pretty good for an indoor race that involves a lot of weaving around other runners and a longer course due to most of the running in the second or third lane. But then my fever took over and I spent the next hour alternating between burning up and freezing.  I must have put on a took off a longer sleeve shirt 8 or 10 times before i finally decided to drop out after 102 laps (out of 150).  But the first ten miles went well and felt real easy and gave me a big boost of confidence.