2012 Sub-3:00 Marathon Goal Thread (Read 6873 times)

Dakota - happy thoughts are good. See you in Texas.

T-minus 11 days. Oh crap... I've started to slightly, slightly, slightly rationalize this as a good stepping stone to Boston...

jjameson

Dumb question, I'm new to this group:  I want to run a 3 hour marathon but I'm not sure I'm capable.  How do you know if it is possible?  Is there some criteria?  I've never run a road marathon before.  I've run several trail marathons, some 50k trail races, other ultras as well.  This year I did 10 races from 5 miles to 100K.  I did a half marathon in 2010 in 1:25:XX.  I did the 5 mile in 31:3X (turkey trot).  Are these fast enough to be in the ballpark for a three hour marathon?  I'm not sure.

I'd like to try it.   I'm signed up for Bayshore Marathon in Traverse City, Michigan.  It is a flat course and is on May 28th.  I bought a book called "Advanced Marathoning".  I'm thinking about following the 16 week plan (60-70mpw).  Is this a good book?  I tried a couple of the weeks from the book and liked it, but it was harder than I'm used to with all the faster running.

Thanks,

Joe

I'm back!

I did a half marathon in 2010 in 1:25:XX.  ...  Are these fast enough to be in the ballpark for a three hour marathon?  I'm not sure.

Yeah, that's in the ballpark.

I bought a book called "Advanced Marathoning".  I'm thinking about following the 16 week plan (60-70mpw).  Is this a good book?  I tried a couple of the weeks from the book and liked it, but it was harder than I'm used to with all the faster running.

Good choice. Do you mean 18-week, 55-70? That's what I used for my first sub-3.

jjameson

Yes, I mean 18 week, 55-70 mpw

Feeling the growl again

I'm signed up for Bayshore Marathon in Traverse City, Michigan.  It is a flat course and is on May 28th.  I bought a book called "Advanced Marathoning".  I'm thinking about following the 16 week plan (60-70mpw).  Is this a good book?  I tried a couple of the weeks from the book and liked it, but it was harder than I'm used to with all the faster running.

That's certainly a great race to go for it at.  That's where my PR is from and my PR does not do the course justice.  It's FAST.  I hope you already have your hotel reservations, the timing of the race (Memorial Day weekend) is the only downside.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

FYI-  Don't get food poisoning.

Goal for 2012 run for 366 straight days ended on January 2nd after a gyro for dinner January 1st.

However back on pace for the Marathon on January 22nd.

2014 Goals:

Not destroy my back while running.

I've run several trail marathons, some 50k trail races, other ultras as well.  This year I did 10 races from 5 miles to 100K.  I did a half marathon in 2010 in 1:25:XX.

You certainly have the endurance for it given how you killed it in some of your ultras.  With a 1:25 HM, I'd say you have the speed to.  Good luck Joe!

DoppleBock

Joe - When I ran my 1st sub 3:00 (2:56) I had a 1:25:57 1/2 PR - I think the fact that Pitz's plan you are following is faster than you are used to running speaks volume to the potential improvements to your overall speed you may acheive.  I think this is a good move for you, you area  strong ultra-runner, now lets change things up with something different ... speed.

BTW - Any thoughts about DWD Devil's Lake?  I have a score to settle with the 50k - Where I fractured my radail head (Tip in elbow area) last year - I will be paying for that the rest of my life. Many sports I love to do are now painful = Racketball, volleyball, wakeboarding, Tennis, Golf - Doc says I have what I have if I can take the pain then do them - so I do.

I am also thinking about Superior 100M ~ maybe.

I'd like to try it.   I'm signed up for Bayshore Marathon in Traverse City, Michigan.  It is a flat course and is on May 28th.  I bought a book called "Advanced Marathoning".  I'm thinking about following the 16 week plan (60-70mpw).  Is this a good book?  I tried a couple of the weeks from the book and liked it, but it was harder than I'm used to with all the faster running.

Thanks,

Joe

http://a-big-horse.blogspot.com/ 

2013 Goals ~ Mar < 3:00, 5M < 29, 10k < 35  

DoppleBock

Currently nothing has changed here - I am getting my eating down decently and booze under control.  Very active, but fat.  Running 50 ish miles per week and between racketball, volleyball and downhill skiing - getting a lot of other activities in.  But nothing like running to improve running - Not doing enough for me to improve much - still gallowwalking anything 10+ miles.

I am a longshot for a < 3:30 @ Houston.

I think I can lose wome weight and figure out training with the other activities to make a go of it by mid April. 

I am looing forward to watching the trials

T-14 Days until Icebreaker indoor marathon.  Feeling good.  Got food poisoning early in the week but dropped those pesky extra 5 pounds....so i got that going for me.  The guy I was planning sitting on in the race just dropped...so I may have a chance at winning the darn thing.  How are our Houston people?  Watch for Chris Erichsen in the trials.  He's a beast.  Super jealous of you all running down there.

2014 Goals:

Not destroy my back while running.

Hi,

I've missed quite a bit of sub 3:00 planning/sharing, but is it too late to add myself to the mix.  In the past 3 yrs I've been "so" close and going to try again. 

Twin Cities 2009  3:03

Fargo 2010   3:00:30

Twin Cities 2010  3:01

Twin Cities 2011 3:09 (just off an injury)

Hoping I can run some unfinished business at Fargo 2012 and be good to have some support from those attemping the same quest.

Hi,

I've missed quite a bit of sub 3:00 planning/sharing, but is it too late to add myself to the mix.

Never too late!  You're on the list. Smile

“Everything you need is already inside.” -- Bill Bowerman

DoppleBock

Ice breaker ~ I would bring 2 empty gatorade bottles (20 or 32) ~ I put ducktape on them and write my number on them.  1 for water, 1 for gatorade ... they do not allow cups.  I works really slick - I just yell my number and "Gatorade" next lap and they have it ready to hand off.  I run a lap with it drinking and then toss it back.

Enjoy the race! 

T-14 Days until Icebreaker indoor marathon.  Feeling good.  Got food poisoning early in the week but dropped those pesky extra 5 pounds....so i got that going for me.  The guy I was planning sitting on in the race just dropped...so I may have a chance at winning the darn thing.  How are our Houston people?  Watch for Chris Erichsen in the trials.  He's a beast.  Super jealous of you all running down there.

Alive & Running

Hi,

I've missed quite a bit of sub 3:00 planning/sharing, but is it too late to add myself to the mix.  In the past 3 yrs I've been "so" close and going to try again. 

Twin Cities 2009  3:03

Fargo 2010   3:00:30

Twin Cities 2010  3:01

Twin Cities 2011 3:09 (just off an injury)

Hoping I can run some unfinished business at Fargo 2012 and be good to have some support from those attemping the same quest.

Willie, good to see you putting out the sub-3:00 intentions here.  Fargo will be a great race for you.

Okay, so I'll put it out here too.  Even though my main "goal" race for 2012 is going to be a 24 hour race I still intend on going sub-3:00 (hopefully sub-2:45) at Lake Wobegon Trail Marathon on 5/12.  So, throw me on the list too.

spinach

I DNF-ed at Zoom Yah Yah over the weekend, but nonetheless it did give me a good deal of confidence,  So I will try again to run a sub three at Lake Wobegon Trail marathon in St Joseph MN on May 12.  It is my hometown course and I think it is the fastest course I ran.  Maybe I will get another sub three before I get too old.

I went in to Zoom Yah Yah with a bad cold or flu and probably shouldn't have run it.  I started off fairly well doing the first ten miles in about 1:07 or 1:08, which is pretty good for an indoor race that involves a lot of weaving around other runners and a longer course due to most of the running in the second or third lane. But then my fever took over and I spent the next hour alternating between burning up and freezing.  I must have put on a took off a longer sleeve shirt 8 or 10 times before i finally decided to drop out after 102 laps (out of 150).  But the first ten miles went well and felt real easy and gave me a big boost of confidence.