Are you kidding me? What is this pain?! (Read 1256 times)

Jill_B

I fly.

Okay, what did I do to myself? 

My right calf hurts right in the very middle and gets so tight that I've had to stop running to stretch it... how on earth did I do this (and now of all times!)?  Anyone have a similiar problem and have a good solution?  Like the song goes, "I haven't got time for the pain!"

Bring it on.

MrH

Eccentric calf raises, i..e standing with front part of your feet on a step and lower/raise your heels.

Lots of good stretching after a run.

Lots of "The stick".

Run on software surfaces if you can.

Don't try to run through the pain.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

I agree with MrH, but and, if the tightness is pretty deep, consider going to a sports massage therapist for a deep tissue massage. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

jfa

Could it be a pre-marathon phantom injury?

dgtray

Sounds like what I had in February. My calf started to bother me and then eventually experienced the same thing you described. It turned out to be achilles tendonitis and kept me from running the week before the Mardi Gras half and most of March...still ran the half even though it bothered me the entire run. Does the calf bother you going up/down stairs and walking. If it does then you have an injury similar to mine. For me it was rest, massage, ice and then light stretching after the healing started. Might want to try trigger point massage on the gastro and soleus. Good luck.

2012 Races: Galveston 2/5, St. Louis 4/15, Fort Collins 5/6, Woodrow Wilson Bridge Run 10/7

xor

[coded message]

WHOOP

[/coded]

Jill_B

I fly.

Could it be a pre-marathon phantom injury?

I was hoping that it was, but I think it's real.  Dang it.

Bring it on.

Jill_B

I fly.

Sounds like what I had in February. My calf started to bother me and then eventually experienced the same thing you described. It turned out to be achilles tendonitis and kept me from running the week before the Mardi Gras half and most of March...still ran the half even though it bothered me the entire run. Does the calf bother you going up/down stairs and walking. If it does then you have an injury similar to mine. For me it was rest, massage, ice and then light stretching after the healing started. Might want to try trigger point massage on the gastro and soleus. Good luck.

It doesn't hurt when I walk or when I'm going up or down stairs... so I hope it's not that serious.  I scheduled a massage for tomorrow - but I was hoping to get my last long run in tomorrow morning.  Ugh.

Bring it on.

Maniac

Eccentric calf raises, i..e standing with front part of your feet on a step and lower/raise your heels.

Lots of good stretching after a run.

Lots of "The stick".

Run on software surfaces if you can.

Don't try to run through the pain.

Is that some sort of virtual training program?  'cause I'm on board with it if that's what it is.

Marathon Maniac #6740

Goals for 2015:

Run 3 marathons (modified:  Run 2 marathons--Lost Dutchman 02/2015 and Whiskey Row 05/2015)

Run a 50-miler (Ran a 53.8 mile race 11/14/2015)

Run 1,500 miles (uhhh...how about 1,400?)

Stay healthy

Why is it sideways?

Sounds to me like a calf strain. If so, then there will be a knot you can find and massage. If it's a calf strain, you will want to avoid stretching and pounding-type activities (yes running) so it can heal, but you can swim and maybe do the elliptical.
                        Sounds to me like a calf strain. If so, then there will be a knot you can find and massage. If it's a calf strain, you will want to avoid stretching and pounding-type activities (yes running) so it can heal, but you can swim and maybe do the elliptical.

If you have access to a deep pool, you might also try deep water running.

dennrunner

[coded message]

WHOOP

[/coded]

Is that an answer to the "how on earth did I do this...?" part?

xor

Nope, that is from one Aggie to another.

Jill, go and get that sports specific massage from a real LMT, not one of those zen massage places..... That is how I found out I tore my calf a few years ago. Weird pain that came out of nowhere, was just a dull ache under the ball lof my calf muscle, nagging pain. I could not get a mile in before the leg totally tightened up and I had to reduce to a walk and stretch and then painful running. Lots of swelling too. Ended up being a torn soleus that the MT could physically feel..... I had aggressive massage treatments that had me off the table sometimes it hurt so much, but she got it right again. Hobbled through My HM, because I didn't want to miss what I had trained for as a brand new runner, and I didn't run for 2 months after to fully rehab the injury. Zensah recovery sleeves work really well to support the calf during training, and the good news is that it is like cast iron tough now..... it healed alot stronger.

Feel Better!

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

dennrunner

Ah.  Didn't get that.  I was a Red Raider, so I don't understand the interworkings of the Aggie lingo.

I thought it might have been short for Whoopie (and how she might have hurt her calf ).

MTA: in response to srl's response.