Running etiquette (Read 1425 times)

Imminent Catastrophe

how do you properly slow down during a race? also, i know that i will be pretty toasty during my upcoming run...is it okay to take a cup of water (assuming they have stations set up for an 8k) to douse on my head?
    Just make sure it's not Gatorade! Big grin

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Scout7

The water issue I think depends on the size and length of the race. If it's a smaller race, you might not be able to grab all the water you want. If the race has more people than expected, same thing. Not that grabbing more than one cup is wrong, just be aware of the situation. As for proper way to slow down.... First, move to the side of the course, AFTER checking to make sure you're not cutting someone off, then slow down to a jog, then walk. At aid stations, the best way to get a cup that I've seen is to "call your shot". Point to the volunteer, and say loudly, "Water" or some such thing. It lets the runners behind you know which cup you're going for. DON'T STOP as soon as you get the cup. Move past the volunteers if you're going to walk, or start to do so before the water. This way those who are running can more easily move around you.
        If you're going to walk, or stop, a quick 'blind spot check' and step to the inside (closest to the curb) is usually a safe and considerate bet. Also, try to take your water/gatorade at towards the middle/end of the of the water station. Prevents a log-jam at the beginning. Can't say enough about the importance of positioning yourself in the appropriate corral at the start (by expected finish time). It makes the race more enjoyable for everyone, at all fitness levels.
          how do you all feel about running strollers? i'd never seen them in a race before today!
          shyrunner07

i can't fathom wanting to race with a stroller! It's enough work just pushing these old bones along, let alone a big bulky stroller (with another 20-40lbs in that too)!! Tongue
            Wingz

Professional Noob

how do you all feel about running strollers? i'd never seen them in a race before today!
              They line up at the back of the race. Big grin And please try not to trample us turtles in your mad dash, ok? Big grin

Roads were made for journeys...

PWL

Has been

I just ran a 5k this morning that had several women with running strollers. I generally don't have an issue with this per se, however, this was a race that was half on the road and half on trails. And the lady pushing the stroller (a two child, double wide version) was less than considerate. I was fine, but my wife got caught behind the woman at the beginning of the trail portion. The trail was only around 3-4 feet wide, so her double wide stroller blocked the whole damn trail. And she couldn't have cared less. Inconsiderate woman! Roll eyes

"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, 'In this world, Elwood, you must be' - she always called me Elwood - 'In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.'  Well, for years I was smart.  I recommend pleasant."

The trail was only around 3-4 feet wide, so her double wide stroller blocked the whole damn trail.
                  That's uber rude.
                  2009: BQ?
                    yeah, i didn't see any specific harm done in the race today, but i did see 3 or 4 strollers, and, at least in the beginning when everyone is jockeying for position, they seemed really clunky/big/out-of-place (people were complaining, but i didn't see anyone trip or fall or anything). once things thinned out, though, it seemed fine-- but this was in the burbs. i imagine on a trail it would have been more annoying/dangerous.
                    PWL

Has been

That's uber rude.
                      What do you think law lady--is there litigation potential in this case? Big grin

"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, 'In this world, Elwood, you must be' - she always called me Elwood - 'In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.'  Well, for years I was smart.  I recommend pleasant."

My only complaint about running strollers, is that the only two I've seen both passed me on an uphill segment. Shocked My slow pace already confirmed what I already knew - that I was old and out of shape. But these two ladies rubbed my nose in it. Clowning around Kidding aside, they didn't do anything wrong, were polite when passing. But damn if they didn't motivate me to never let it happen again. So far, knocking on wood, it hasn't happened since.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

runpd

Eye Lick Two Rhune

Some of the problems that we deal with are from people that might be running their first race and don't know. Here patience is a virtue...plus most people are like sheep. Meaning if they see people tossing the cups in the garbage or to the side they we do the same. I think if we all here take the "rules for racing" we start changing races. The starting line thing will never be solved that’s why I just go to the middle a pluck off people as the race goes kind’ a like Pac Man Wink .

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift" -Pre

Imminent Catastrophe

how do you all feel about running strollers?
                            I think they have absolutely no place in a race. C'mon, if people want to train with it, OK. But if they're running a race, they should get a freakin' baby sitter. If they can race with a stroller then I should be able to run with my dogs, but I won't because it's inconsiderate. OTOH, in the case of Team Hoyt, I think that's certainly a special case, and they know what they're doing.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

I think they have absolutely no place in a race. C'mon, if people want to train with it, OK. But if they're running a race, they should get a freakin' baby sitter.
                              Couldn't agree more.
                              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I think they have absolutely no place in a race. C'mon, if people want to train with it, OK. But if they're running a race, they should get a freakin' baby sitter..
                                I agree...but only because those bitches and bastards with strollers at EVERY race I have run have kicked my ass! WinkOne guy at a hilly 10 miler was in the top 10% of finishers...so not fair! Tongue k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay