First Marathon Report (Read 616 times)

va

I ran the Richmond Marathon today!!! The great race reports of the past few weeks are a tough act to follow. Sorry I don’t have any funny anecdotes or cool pictures, just a brief summary… I thought the race was very well organized, and I liked the course. The fan support was excellent. I would recommend this race. The weather was on the cool side (40s), overcast, and breezy. Many say this is ideal marathon weather, but I just haven’t had much experience running in the cold (yes, 40s is cold for me). I wore shorts and a tech long sleeve over a tech short sleeve. I wore a fleece pull-over at the start, intending to throw it away after I warmed up a bit, but when I took it off, I soon got cold again, so I ran the remainder of the race with it on. I am really glad I did, for it was quite breezy and cool around miles 15 and 16, when crossing back over the James River on the Lee Bridge. I ran the first half slowly as planned, in around 2:07 something. My attempt at keeping every single mile in the first half above a 9:44 pace was only partially successful. I ran with the 4:15 pace group, but when mile 4 came in at 9:31, I let them go. On my own, I found it really hard to stay above 9:44, especially given variations in terrain. For example, see mile 7 below, which had a big downhill. 1 9:45 2 9:39 3 9:49 4 9:31 5 9:41 6 9:52 7 9:24 8 9:38 9 9:52 10 9:49 11 9:45 12 9:41 13 9:36 14 9:18 fastest 15 9:27 16 10:06 17 9:54 18 9:36 19 9:32 20 9:51 21 9:54 22 10:15 23 9:52 24 9:51 25 10:33 slowest 26 10:32 27 2:02 In the second half, I just tried to run based on feel. I had a drop in energy at about 21.5 miles, and thought I was done for, but then somehow rebounded for the 23rd and 24th mile. The final 2 miles, were tough, with the legs just not wanting to move faster. I finished the race in 4:16:52. Now I only have to shave about 46 minutes off to qualify for Boston (need 3:30:59)! I’d like to thank everybody for there great advice and support over the past year, with special thanks to Eric for this great RA web site. If I hadn’t found this web site I probably would have never done this marathon.
    btb1490

You took the first step of your journey today. Congrats!
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Wow...you are officially a marathoner! I am so excited and proud of you--between your weight loss and training you have really put in so much work for this race--and it paid off! Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Congratulations on a job well done! I think you did a fantastic job of pacing yourself, those times are pretty darned close to what you were shooting for. You ran the first and second halves in just about the same time, and you were less than two minutes off your finish target of 4:15. Sounds just about perfect to me, way to go! I love hearing about these great marathons, if the bug bites me (and I think it has) and I stay healthy I have a number of races on my to-do list. One more won't hurt. Well actually it will, but you know what I mean. Big grin

E.J.
          Greater Lowell Road Runners
          Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

rkeddie

Congratulations VA! You were just ahead of me (4:17:50) Too tired for a report. In summary though the people of Richmond were fantastic, and if I ever do that to myself again, it will be in Richmond. The headwind was terrible for a few miles though!

Dog-Love

Same as the Bad Dog said...great pacing! I'd be prettty happy with that time for myself.
              Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
                Awesome, Stephen! Like Zoomy said, you've definitely worked hard for it and I'm proud of you too! Well done!

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

mikeymike

Awesome. Congrats!

Runners run

Imminent Catastrophe

What great pacing! Pretty unusual for a rookie to run such a consistent pace. Congratulations!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

derek

Congratulations Stephen. In this post, you had planned your race, and you run it pretty much exactly as you planned! Not many people can do that!

Derek

Great job. You should be very proud of yourself!!
                        Started running Nov 2006 1st race: Cowtown 10K 2/24/07 1:09:32 PR 5K 29:54 PR 10K 1:01:08 White Rock 1/2 Dec 07 2:27:50 2010 goals PR all!!!
                          Very nice race Stephen! I am proud of you as well, it sounds like a great first time!
                          Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

Congrats Stephen! Excellent job in pacing yourself, and kudos on leaving the pace group when you realized they weren't running at the right speed. Aside from the wind, did you enjoy the race?
                              Congrats! WTG !!! Smile

Jennifer mm#1231

va

Thanks everyone!!! RK, Congrats on your first as well! We were pretty close. I wonder if we passed each other. I was the grey haired guy wearing the green fleece pull-over... MC, Yes, I really enjoyed it and thought it was a great experience. It was a great feeling (and a relief) to be able to complete the distance and in pretty good shape (no blisters, chafing, cramps, or gastro- intestinal problems, just tired legs). I also enjoyed the support of the crowds cheering along the way (and giving out all kinds of goodies like orange slices, chocolate, pretzels, ...), and I enjoyed the many live bands along the way, they always give me a boost.