Asics gel to minimal shoe (Read 98 times)

thumshaj

Many of you would consider my prolonged usage of running shoes as erratic and injury prone. 
    I logged more than 2500 kms on my current all-purpose running shoe, asics gel oberone, this includes 
    2 half marathon races and 4 10km races last year. I would like to buy a new minimal shoe like Nike
    free run or rebook realflex that would promote mid-foot strike, would it be easier to change from
    a asics gel shoe to a minimal shoe like rebook realflex. I am not planning to buy an expensive shoe

PRS 10K 00:49:15 HM 1:51:30 FM 4:11:30 

Half Fanatic #846

If you're using the Asics Gel Lyte, I think the heel-to-toe drop is about 7mm;  the Nike Free 3.0 is 4.0mm - very similar, just a tad less.  I've run through several pairs of Nike Free 5.0 and 3.0s, very comfortable, light, and durable.  For more very useful and unbiased comparisons check out Pete Larsons detailed blog:

http://runblogger.com/running-shoe-reviews-by-brand

MTA:  When I do run in shoes, I only use zero drop shoes now (Sketcher's GOBionic is my favorite - and inexpensive).

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

thumshaj

thanks brefootbill, the blog has good reviews about several inexpensive alternatives. But one issue is that proper shoe size not available for many of them. EUR 41.5 is the right shoe size for the Asics shoe. Is that every brand shoe sizes match exactly?

I use Asics Gel Oberon. Asics Gel Lyte would be an option.

PRS 10K 00:49:15 HM 1:51:30 FM 4:11:30 

Half Fanatic #846

Every brand/shoe is not exactly the same, but the reviews should say whether a shoe runs large or small to help you decide if you should order a larger or smaller size.  And, most companies have a liberal return policy if needed.  Look for the shoe sizing guide on the company website for help (I don't know about international purchases).

EUR 41.5 is the right shoe size for the Asics shoe. Is that every brand shoe sizes match exactly?

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

Feeling the growl again

If you mean 2500km on a single pair of shoes, I don't think shoes are your problem.  I think running two to three times the distance on the shoes that most people get is more likely the problem.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Hobby Jogger Especial!

I found a site that shows a 10mm heel to toe drop for the Asics Oberon.  I would suggest slowly transitioning to a more minimalist style. Start by throwing in a mile a few times a week and go up from there. Your calves will let you know if you overdo it. Transitioning too quickly can cause a lot of problems with calves, achilles tendons and feet.  I would assume you would be transitioning slowly anyway, if you're working on your gait.