2013 New York City Marathon Thread (Read 601 times)

Docket_Rocket

Hey, I don't like the 62F forecast!  I come from where it is till 100F and humid, I want something colder!Big grin

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Julia1971

Rain?!?!  No.  It will not rain.  Will not.

I just checked on the weather.

Looks pretty nice.

meaghansketch

It's too early to be freaking out about the weather! let's at least wait until we're tapering! (it won't be accurate then, either, but we'll need something to freak out about!)

Docket_Rocket

Yeah give me time to freak out about Chicago first. Joking

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

FWIW, I've never heard NYCM to have bad weather (I could be wrong, though).

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Julia1971

Another week in the book.  I can tell I'm about to hit that point in marathon training where I just want to pull a Forrest Gump and stop in my tracks mid-run.  Did my last long run with MP miles - 20 w/14 @ GMP.  I managed 7:50 pace which is much slower than my goal pace.  I'm not panicking yet though.  I didn't hit GMP for this run in my last training cycle either.  It's a really tough workout.

I got to test out a few things and have decided on my race day shorts and was able to confirm that carrying my smartphone in a Spibelt is probably not going to annoy me.  And, I spent a few hours last weekend researching hotels so I just need to decide between two.

Next week is a cutback week, I think, ending in a tune-up half marathon next Sunday.

Meaghan, You're right - way too early.  I'm surprised they even do a forecast for a month ahead.

D_R, You've got a pretty cool fall marathon schedule planned.  And, they should all feature cooler weather than you're used to.

jerseyrunner

Half Fanatic 12680

Another week in the book.  I can tell I'm about to hit that point in marathon training where I just want to pull a Forrest Gump and stop in my tracks mid-run. 

Me, too. I'm at the point in my training where I am running fewer miles per week, but faster. I thought that this would feel much easier since I can sleep until 7:00 or even later most mornings (instead of waking up at 5:30) because my runs take less time and because the weather is cooler so I don't have to be running at dawn to beat the heat. But I'm finding it harder to feel motivated. The actual runs don't feel hard; it's just getting out the door that feels more difficult.

Docket_Rocket

I have two more workouts before my Chicago taper and boy I am ready!

Julia, it is a tough workout and your mileage and work hours are hectic  I bet your pace will be way faster during the race.  And who knows? Maybe next week we will have an unpaid week off to run free.  Bah.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

D_R, You've got a pretty cool fall marathon schedule planned.  And, they should all feature cooler weather than you're used to.

Yes!  I sure hope so!  And then the next 3 will be in the 80s, bah.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

lagwagon

Y'all are funny looking at the weather already!   I just can't wait to get through these long high mileage weeks and on with a taper. (Which will also surely suck.)  Keep rollin' out there!

jfa

Just kidding with the weather report folks. Long way to go.

Third of four weekends that's 10miles MP on Saturday, 20 miles LSD on Sunday. They are tough but quite manageable now.

Half marathon on 10/20, two weeks out.

Keep on keeping on.

Julia1971

I just booked my hotel!  Squee!

Lagwagon, You've been running some very nice mileage...  Whenever I read the word "rollin" I start singing the theme to Rawride in my head.

Joe, I don't mind the weather talk.  Again, I'm just surprised they even try to predict the weather 30 days out...  Keep up the good work!

Docket_Rocket

where are you staying, Julia?

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Julia1971

where are you staying, Julia?

I'll PM you.  I was surprised to see rates were about $20/night cheaper than they were last week, so I saved a bit of money by procrastinating. Cool  I don't travel much to know, but I thought it was odd that the prices would be lower today than they were last week.

Let's  hope this stupid government shutdown gets resolved..Ft. Wadsworth is closed right now since it's a national park Sad