2013 New York City Marathon Thread (Read 601 times)

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Was reading the Running Times (World? I forget because they both arrive the same week) article on Bill Rogers' NYCM run in 1976.  He mentioned that the Queensborough Bridge was a run over iron grates.  Later a plastic runner was put down on the bridge.  Do they still do that?  And is it really only (big enough) for the elites?  Or do they cover the entire bridge for all runners now?

(I'm mulling over light-weight racers or supportive trainers)

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

#artbydmcbride

FWIW, I've never heard NYCM to have bad weather (I could be wrong, though).

Hurricane Sandy?

Runners run

meaghansketch

Hurricane Sandy?

The actual day of the race was beautiful-- cool and sunny.  It would have been perfect marathon weather.

There have been a couple hot days, though, and in 1995 it was cold, wet, and windy, according to this NY Times article on NYCM weather.

"1995 A year after one of the hottest races, New York followed with a brutally cold, wet and windy day for the coldest of the New York City Marathons. The temperature reached only 40 degrees, although it was colder at the start when the wind chill factor was 18 degrees, with a mix of rain and snow and winds blowing at 20-30 miles per hour with some gusts to 58 m.p.h. There were no serious cold-related medical emergencies, but there were thousands of wet runners. Oddly enough, the same runners who won the hot 1994 race repeated as champions in 1995."

meaghansketch

Though I should add to that comment (not to jinx us) bad weather is very much the exception, not the rule, for marathon day.  Since I've been paying attention to it, cool temperatures, low humidity, and clear skies are the norm.

jerseyrunner

Half Fanatic 12680

Was reading the Running Times (World? I forget because they both arrive the same week) article on Bill Rogers' NYCM run in 1976.  He mentioned that the Queensborough Bridge was a run over iron grates.  Later a plastic runner was put down on the bridge.  Do they still do that?  And is it really only (big enough) for the elites?  Or do they cover the entire bridge for all runners now?

The bridges are now all paved or covered; I ran NYCM in 1979 and it was way different then.

Just to give you all something more to obsess over, here is a useful link that gives a strategy for running each part of the course. Based on my experience in 2011, I think it is pretty accurate. It also has the video you can watch that covers the entire course if you want to visualize ahead of time.

http://runnersconnect.net/running-training-articles/new-york-city-marathon-race-strategy/

Docket_Rocket

Hurricane Sandy?

Well, technically, there was no NYCM so there.  Big grin

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

jfa

The bridges are now all paved or covered; I ran NYCM in 1979 and it was way different then.

Just to give you all something more to obsess over, here is a useful link that gives a strategy for running each part of the course. Based on my experience in 2011, I think it is pretty accurate. It also has the video you can watch that covers the entire course if you want to visualize ahead of time.

http://runnersconnect.net/running-training-articles/new-york-city-marathon-race-strategy/

Good info there. Thanks

Julia1971

Thanks for sharing this, JerseyRunner.  It seems like the general advice is patience.

I added a few more race related links to the first page.  It looks like a lot of information has come out in the last few days.  I can't wait to get my bib/corral information!

I had a minor set back this week.  My tune-up race was cancelled due to the government shutdown.  I was disappointed for a couple hours but I've had so many races cancelled on me at this point, I really can't get that worked up about it.  Smile  However, it means I might not get a tune-up race in.  It would be nice to have one since I blew up in my last race and I'm not quite sure I'm in sub-3:20 shape.  But, I also didn't feel all that great this week so I'm not sure I would have had a good race tomorrow anyway.

Hope everyone's training is going well.  We're less than a month away!

jfa

Julia-

I'm running this one on 10/20.

I think that registration is still open if you're interested.

Julia1971

Julia-

Thanks, Joe.  I'm actually registered for a race on 10/20 but it's a 10-miler and I was having second-thoughts about racing something that long so close to race day.  Pfitz calls for a race up to 10K, so I was thinking maybe I could reign myself in and only racing the first 6 miles.  (The last 2 or 3 miles are kinda miserable so I thought this plan just might work.  Wink ).  How are you feeling about running a half two-weeks from race day?

jfa

I like the idea.

I raced a half 3 weeks out and then two weeks out of our scheduled race day last year. PR 'ed them both, the last by two minutes. That meant to me that I didn't push the first race, which was good.

It gave me a ton of confidence leading up to race day.

Julia1971

I like the idea.

I raced a half 3 weeks out and then two weeks out of our scheduled race day last year. PR 'ed them both, the last by two minutes. That meant to me that I didn't push the first race, which was good.

It gave me a ton of confidence leading up to race day.

That's good that you're tried it before...  Hmmm...  I have a couple more weeks to decide.  And, I'm going to run it anyway - just haven't decided how hard and/or how much.  You're right about the confidence thing, though.  And, since my training has been all over the place I'd really like a good time to use as a predictor.

jerseyrunner

Half Fanatic 12680

I was thinking of running that one. Have you done it before? It should be pretty flat. I'm just wondering if I should do a HM race 2 weeks out or just a training run.

jfa

You can't get any flatter.

And because of the Seaside boardwalk fire, they actually reopened the registration to support the town.

I'm looking at it as the last fast training run. I like to get used to the racing feel too. Then on to taper.

diane_77

Best of luck to everyone in this year's race!!  I'll be watching on ESPN 2 to soak in as much of your fun as possible!  Maybe in a couple years I will join you!