2013 New York City Marathon Thread (Read 601 times)

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Heh, when I worked in the NASDAQ building near Battery Park they put ropes out on the sidewalk so you could pull yourself toward your destination when the wind really started howling.  We also sent people home that day because the building was listing a couple meters and it was making people sea-sick.

I look forward to pulling myself to a PR!

(and I thought these arms were just along for the ride)

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

TakeAHike

Here is a photo slideshow from Greg Maclin.  He took the pictures before and during the race in 2007.  I enjoyed it.

http://www.pbase.com/gmaclin/nyc_2007&view=slideshow

2013 goals: 800m: 2:20 | mile: 4:59 | 5k: 18:59 | 10k: 39:59 | HM: 1:32 | Marathon: 3:20

Julia1971

I added the start area map to the home page since I was consulting it myself.

Also, for those not following NYCM on FB the Track Your Runner app is available on iTunes and Google Play and a few days ago, they posted about a "Support Your Marathoner" program which sounds pretty cool.

Yeah, not liking the windy forecast.  But, am hoping this is like my last marathon where the forecasters were wrong and the bad weather never materialized.

jfa

Yeah, not liking the windy forecast.  But, am hoping this is like my last marathon where the forecasters were wrong and the bad weather never materialized.

Yep, me too. Forecast has the wind now down to 27 mph.

ultramarathon/triathlete

Yep, me too. Forecast has the wind now down to 27 mph.

Weather.com has the wind down to 17mph.  So, that's a better site, clearly Big grin

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
            Gatorade Endurance Team

ultramarathon/triathlete

On a positive, reassuring note regarding wind...

I checked the 2011 weather history and it was 50 degrees with wind "gusts" up to 16 mph on NYCM day.  I had (according to my running log notes) my most comfortable NYCM out of the 6 I'd run before it, and I'd just BQ'd a few weeks before in Grand Rapids so I wasn't well rested. 

So, don't let the wind report scare you.  According to my log, I didn't even notice it (I had no mention of it and I definitely would have written something if the wind had been an issue).   Smile

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
              Gatorade Endurance Team

jerseyrunner

Half Fanatic 12680

On a positive, reassuring note regarding wind...

I checked the 2011 weather history and it was 50 degrees with wind "gusts" up to 16 mph on NYCM day.  I had (according to my running log notes) my most comfortable NYCM out of the 6 I'd run before it, and I'd just BQ'd a few weeks before in Grand Rapids so I wasn't well rested. 

So, don't let the wind report scare you.  According to my log, I didn't even notice it (I had no mention of it and I definitely would have written something if the wind had been an issue).   Smile

Interesting. I also ran in 2011 and did not recall it being windy. So I guess I shouldn't worry too much about wind this year. (The weather report is now predicting 15 mph winds and a high of 50 degrees.)

Whouhou I have to take antibiotics \o/ Perfect timing Big grin

2 days to be symptome free Big grin

Biking Bad

finnegan begin again

To those running this weekend. Good Luck. Run Smart. Don't leave time on the course. Tell the f'in hotel to set their clocks for an extra hour of sleep.

It's NYC,  The World's City ENJOY

"... the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value..."  Thomas Paine Dec 23, 1776 The Crisis 

Adversity is the first path to truth. Lord Byron

"No one plans to fail…..they fail to plan" Skinny Pete

wolfgangbird

To those running this weekend. Good Luck. Run Smart. Don't leave time on the course. Tell the f'in hotel to set their clocks for an extra hour of sleep.

It's NYC,  The World's City ENJOY

^^^ Like!

lagwagon

so who's stoked!  I hope everyone's travel is on track.

hit the expo today...dude, that was a scene.  highlights were hearing bart yasso, desi linden (nee davila) and josh cox  (holy crap 2:43 50k) at a panel, and then saying a quick hi to our own mendeldave at the (mobbed) pacing booth before escaping back to the burbs.

looks like the forecast is still great and the winds are now a little lower at  under 15mph.

...also in the forecast, about 800g of carbs tomorrow...think i'll kick it off now with a Guinness (hmmm only 10g per 12 oz means I'll need to drink 800/10?...)...nevermind, getting edgy, need to do some real running soon...

Julia1971

I rolled into NYC yesterday and went to the expo last night.  It was full of excitement!  Lots of people were dressed in their 2012 finisher's shirt and walking around wearing their medals.  There was also some really cool gear.  I told myself I could only buy two official pieces of gear.  In the end, I ended up buying four.    I figured I would have bought two last year, so, that makes four.  Smile

I just got back from my last pre-race workout – a 4 mile shakeout run in Central Park.  I knew there was a 5K going on but imagine my surprise when about a mile in, I got to see my BFF Shalane run by!  She didn't wave but she probably didn't see me:

The next miles I run will be he 2013 New York City Marathon!  I’m feeling really good about tomorrow.  My taper went pretty well.  My paces were a little fast but I was running by feel mostly, so...  The only time that didn't hold up was my 2 miles @ GMP run this week.  Without looking at my Garmin, I ran them about 10 seconds/mile too slow.  But, I'm still feeling pretty good about going sub-3:20.

If you follow Meb on FB, you probably already read this yesterday but I thought I'd share because I found it so inspirational:

We all know life is full of challenges. We don't always know what's s the next thing that life will throw at us. The marathon and marathon training is a perfect illustration of the rollercoaster that life can be. As in life, every marathon training cycle is filled with good and bad days and moments. Unfortunately for me, the training cycle for this year’s NYC Marathon seemed to have more bad days than good days.

As a professional marathoner, I put my body through a lot…every single day. When people meet me for the first time and I tell them I am a professional runner, they sometimes ask if I train every single day. I tell them I train 12 times a week and that's not including the gym or core strength training. Marathon training does not only consist of workouts and recovery strategies, it’s a way of life, especially for a professional runner. The ultimate goal for the elite marathoner and weekend warriors is getting to the starting line of the race healthy and strong. When race day comes, there are two elements to the competition, the distance and the competitors. I usually prepare the best I can for the distance in training and let my race day execution of my fitness deal with the competition.

Unfortunately during this training cycle, I had some untimely injuries that kept me from preparing for the distance, and thus the competition, the way I usually do. For example, I was barely able to run 2 miles at the end of September due to a partial tear in my soleus muscle. When I couldn’t run or when I couldn’t run as much as I needed, I did as much cross-training as possible, including several 25-30 mile rides on my ElliptiGO. With time and physical therapy, I was able to get healthy. Thanks to the cross-training, I didn’t lose as much fitness as I feared. But there is no doubt, I lost valuable time during a critical period in my training cycle. Going into the race, I am thankful to be 100% healthy, although short of the ideal training to compete in the biggest marathon in the world.

This race, the NYRR and the city of New York have been very good to me. This will be my eighth time running the ING New York City Marathon, since my marathon debut here in 2002. I have finished first (2009), 2nd (2004), 3rd (2005), 6th (2010 & 2011), 9th (2002), and 21st (2006, where I suffered from food poisoning). And when I didn’t make the 2008 Olympic team, the NYC Marathon was my Olympics. You may laugh, but on Sunday, despite my nervousness regarding my fitness level, I will “Run To Win.” As most of you know, Running to Win does not mean you have to finish in first place. Running To Win means to give it your best effort. It took my best effort just to get to the starting line, and I will give it my best shot on race day also. So in the race on Sunday, in our training, and in life, let’s all Run To Win!

Have a great race fellow runners!  Let’s run to win tomorrow!

jfa

Have a great race fellow runners!  Let’s run to win tomorrow!

Looking like a beautiful day to run tomorrow!

Good luck everyone!

xhristopher

Kick ass everyone. Just run hard and pick it up towards the end. Get your result!

Julia1971

This is my proof of life post. My friends say I finished in 3:22:56. Not sub-3:20 but a PR by a minute. Would write more but I'm completely spent right now.