Back of the knee pain (not back of the knee-bone) (Read 81 times)

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

So, I think I have what's called "referred pain".  That is, some other part of the body is making my leg hurt right behind the knee.  It doesn't bother me a bit when running, but sitting or walking it nags at me.  Any advice on where this might be coming from?  (You guys were pretty good at shin area pain being solved by massaging the calf behind it -- hoping for something similar).

It's an odd place to "compress" since wrapping it and then bending the knee releases all compression from the rear of the knee.

Perhaps important: after a cold run (32F) the same knee aches from the cold for an hour or two after the run. (Yeah, getting old, I guess.)

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Here's one cause of back-of-the-knee pain.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Here's one cause of back-of-the-knee pain.

Ugh.  Thanks for the link.  A little bit of feeling around and I think I can rule that out.

The causes of that symptom are a bit scary, though.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Well I had pain in that exact area. Although for me, only hurt when I did run - and then only a few miles in. So maybe completely unrelated. But mine ended up being apparently due to probable Baker's cyst (already somewhat healed by the time it was properly diagnosed), along with hamstring tendinitis. And it kind of improved mostly on its own, although took about 4 months of severely reduced running. And I am supposed to be stretching more. A lot of soft-tissue stuff going on there - top of your calf muscle, bottom of your hamstring, associated tendons, etc. And right in the middle is the popliteus, which is pretty deep & not often affected, but for runners anything goes.

But if it doesn't bother you while running - what's the problem?? Smile

Dave