Weight loss control (Read 758 times)

There is probably something obvious that I'm missing but so far I have yet to figure it out.... Roll eyes I notice that when I lose weight I always lose it in my face first. I hate that. It makes me look unhealthy. My concern is that as I get more into running I am going to lose more weight (although I am not trying to), and I need to find out how to even things out. This is where I struggle. I don't want to start eating like a pig and then realize that I'm eating the wrong foods somehow doing damage...but the way I'm eating now, clearly isn't the healthiest thing for my body. I'm thinking (here is my first question) What I need to do is to increase my intake of calories and then to offset any chance of the extra fat sticking around my waist - I need to make certain to keep up on workouts that focus on my abs. Does this sound right? I am ALWAYS on the go (except for when I'm trapped here in my office at work)...so quick and easy snacks are best for me. Does anyone have any ideas for healthy calorie boosters ? My husband has been making more comments lately about how I'm on the track of becoming one of those (as he puts it) stick figure runners - and he would rather that I not be quite so addicted to it. I don't by any means run marathon miles each week, in fact I'm lucky if I get to 20 eack week. But, keeping that in mind, I can see how as I do increase my weekly mileage that I will indeed start to look a little on the stick figure side. I'm not good at tracking calories. But, I think that once I'm pointed in the right direction with ideas I will make certain to fill my cupboards and fridge up with the "right" sort of foods. Is there another contributing factor to having weight loss be so obvious in my face? Confused

Michelle

JakeKnight

I'm thinking (here is my first question) What I need to do is to increase my intake of calories and then to offset any chance of the extra fat sticking around my waist - I need to make certain to keep up on workouts that focus on my abs. Does this sound right?
      As far as I know, the idea of "targeted fat loss" is a complete myth. You wouldn't know it from watching a thousand late night ab machine infomercials, but I don't think you can target fat in one place like that. You can strengthen muscle, create definition, and build mass in that spot - but I don't think you can leave the fat in your face and lose it on your stomach. (And I think if you figure out how to do it, you'd be awfully rich!) I know for me, I have a 6-pack at 150 and its gone at 160. Whether I do 1000 situps a day or no ab work at all. Working the abs makes it a better six-pack, but I've never figured a way to stay at 160 and still have the stomach. I do think you should do some strength training. I love running and all, but I see plenty of sort of weak and flabby looking runners. I don't think anything replaces strength training for body shaping. How to keep your face from getting thin, I have no idea.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
      -----------------------------

I do strength training - push-ups, sit-ups, crunches, leg lifts, planks...and even some yoga. I don't do weights, but I do have an old weight bench I could introduce into my routine (but I'd rather not). I know there isn't a way to truly target weight loss or weight gain (I'm not THAT foolish)...my stomach hasn't been pre-children form since, well, before the children...but it's the best it has been in years right now. I was wondering about healthy weight gain (is there such a thing?). Knowing how I am - I would do best with quick snacks packed with calories, but I have never bought any specifically for "weight gain", so some pointers on what to buy is what I suppose I'm looking for. It's real easy to grab that candy bar to add calories but I don't want to do that. When it comes down to it....maybe old age is what is making my face look so thin!! Can't avoid that. OR...thinking to what you said about the 6 pack at 150 but not at 160....My weight has been dipping down to 115 and it used to be dipping down was at 120, and never below...my average weight was 125 now the average is 120 - but usually below. Looks like I'm heading for the kitchen a little more often. Big grin

Michelle

Big grin Funny visual....face push ups! Working the muscles to make them bigger. Okay...this is when I tell myself to stay away from coffee. It makes my mind race a thousand miles per minute. *LOL* No wonder my face is skinny!! OMG - I just cracked myself up. Tongue

Michelle

What? No suggestions from anyone. FINE. Looks like I'm heading to McDonald's and getting a double cheeseburger, large fries, milkshake AND choc. chip cookies for lunch tomorrow- that ought to do something. Dead Okay, okay...I get it. I can figure out what foods are "good" and which foods are "bad". After all, I am an adult. Besides, it's probably already been discussed somewhere here in RA...now I just have to find it.

Michelle

I'll start here... http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-242-301--10200-0,00.html?cm_re=HP-_-Quick%20Links-_-The%20Best%20Grocery%20List%20Of%20All%20Time Found this...maybe I can use this, not sure but I like graham crackers, and honey - love fig newtons. Carb Count These energizing foods can help you reach the goal of consuming 30 to 60 grams of carbohydrates per hour during runs lasting longer than an hour. Food Carbs (g)/cals 8 ounces Gatorade 14/50 1 packet GU gel 25/100 1 PowerBar 45/240 4 Fig Newtons 44/220 5 saltines 10/65 4 graham crackers 20/120 1 small plain bagel 30/157 2 tablespoons honey 34/128 1 ounce jelly beans 26/105 1 ounce dried fruit 17/65 3 hard candies 18/72 1 orange, sliced 15/62 1 ounce Gummi Bears 30/120

Michelle

From this moment forward I here by claim this post to be my personal reference (or my typed out conversation with myself, although personal reference post sounds a little saner). Tongue NOTE TO SELF: The two sausage breakfast burritos I just inhaled were probably not the most IDEAL breakfast...at least I tossed the hashbrown (yuck, can't stand them).

Michelle

Scout7

Ya gotta pee on it to claim it. That's what my dog says, at least.
                    oh. well, that's a problem. I get stage fright and there are people here. Big grin

Michelle

Scout7

I won't look. Promise. Besides, I've seen weirder at races. As for the whole weight loss thing.....Yeah, I got nothing new for ya. Ultimately, what are your goals? Maintain, lose, gain?
                        NEW RULE FOR THIS POST: No peeing on it. People don't do that. Cool

Michelle

After all that, I think my goal is to maintain as I increase mileage. My running goal is to get up to about 30 miles per week. My weight goal is to not end up skinny as a toothpick. Maybe I'm a little premature with my panic but I have noticed a somewhat rapid weight loss as I've been adding more mileage into my schedule. I'm a frequent snack eater so basically what I'm looking for are some ideas of HEALTHY snacks loaded with good calories. I keep hearing about good vs. bad fat calories and to be honest, I still only look at calories and not fat calories when I check out the nutrition of food. I don't want to get fat, I just don't want to lose anymore weight. My ideal weight is 120 (if you ask me).

Michelle

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Found this...maybe I can use this, not sure but I like graham crackers, and honey - love fig newtons.
                            I really should start thinking about eating fig newtons while running...I love those things! I'll bet the other flavors would work, too...apple, raspberry, blueberry...YUM! Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I say add some weight training into the mix (with weights). You may find you like it Wink

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Scout7

Alright, couple things: Fat doesn't make you fat. Carbs don't make you fat. Excess calories make you fat. That's it, plain and simple. You have a couple options: You could go see a RD or nutritionist, have them give you an idea as to what your caloric intake should be; you could use a website to guesstimate what your caloric intake should be; you could (and still will probably have to even with the other methods) experiment to see what is a good level of caloric intake for you. No two people are the same, so I can't specifically say what you should be taking in. As for mix of foods: You're an endurance athlete, so your carbohydrate intake will be higher than a sedentary one. Also, your caloric intake will be slightly higher as well in order to maintain weight. Now, keep in mind, your weight is not always the best indicator. You could stay the same, and become leaner anyway. Healthy snacks....Fruits, veggies, nuts. Apples or celery with peanut butter. I like those little cheese crackers with the pb between them. Not overly healthy, but not bad. Oh, and beer. Beer is key.