My 15 year old son (athlete) has claw toe on both feet. What to expect after surgery??? (Read 126 times)

dmger14

We first noticed he had hammertoe/clawtoe a few years ago.  Last we heard from the podiatrist, his condition has been labeled claw toe instead of hammertoe.  We are supposed to arrange surgery this summer, after his club lacrosse.  My understanding is that one foot gets done, then three months of healing, then the other foot.  I do understand the treatments can differ depending on how bad the claw toe is.  I realize the healing times can differ, but do you suppose he will be ok to play lacrosse next spring?  He would be heartbroken if he couldn't play lax next spring.  I told him he should be able to run better after recovery because he will finally get use of toes when running, but am not sure about that myself.  I suppose if he knew he would be out of action for a year, he might want to delay surgery until after high school.

Half Fanatic #846

I had severe hammertoes on one foot and surgery on it at age 14. That was over 50 years ago, and I don't remember much, except that back then the procedure (in part) involved  lateral (across the tendon) cuts on the tendons to help straighten them. More modern procedures involved  vertical (medial?)  cuts along the tendons which was more effective, but I don't know what is done today. Incisions were designed to lengthen various affected tendons or ligaments. After surgery, I had a cast on the foot and steel pins sticking out of my toes for awhile - can't recall the recovery period. I probably had crutches and/or a walking cast for a while. I can't remember any problems afterwards.

My surgery was only partially effective; I still have less pronounced hammertoes and a very high arch on the foot, and it's still over an inch shorter than the other foot.  But it's really not obvious (people see my feet and they look pretty normal to them). I would think your son's surgery will be more successful than mine was. Running should not be a problem - I've been running for 10 years now, recently up to 40mpw with no problems (I don't use orthotics and I always run with minimalist shoes or barefooted).

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

dmger14

Thanks!  I appreciate your sharing that with me and hope you don't have any further problems.

I talked about it with him last night and he was saying his feet aren't bothering him now.  He says that if he has no problems, he wants to wait until after high school to have any surgery.  His main concern is being able to play lacrosse next spring if he has surgery this summer.  This is a concern because he will likely have to have one foot done, recover, and then the other foot done, then have to recover from that.  My wife and I will have a discussion with the podiatrist to see what their thoughts are on recovery from the more advanced procedures they have developed in recent years, and also if he can get surgery on his second foot before the first foot completely heals.  One other question I would have is if performance is better after surgery?  I can imagine him having more speed and stability when he gets use of his toes, but am not sure how much of a difference it makes.

Half Fanatic #846

I can't answer the performance comparison question - I didn't participate in "pre" and "post" surgical sports at 13-14 years old. But my guess is there won't be any noticeable difference. Maybe added toe push-off in a 40 yard dash would take a second off, or something like that....more comfortable running and better shoe fit might be noticed, however.

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

I have this and did't know what it was called.

My middle toes are the worst and can't be straighten.

But all my toes except the big one are bent back.

My grandfather had the same thing and had his worked on .

I also have a high arch..

I have no pain unless I try to straighten the middle one.

I never thought about fixing them and have been a runner since 77.

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

I feet don't hurt or bother my running.

But they do look strange and  I never go barefoot or wear sandals.

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

dmger14

Thanks for the replies.  I think the only toes not so bent so much on both feet are his pinky toes.  We will be meeting a foot surgeon soon and see what she thinks so we can make an informed decision.  Ultimately the decision will be his, but I would rather it be informed based on her opinion after she inspects his toes.